Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 24

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr
    I am about to start a new campaign based on Castle Greyhawk, but I will be play-testing my new 1e/3e hybrid system with ToEE, or at least with T1. (I am going through and doing conversion now. Interestingly, besides the fact that you have to add feats and skills, 1e and 3e are surprisingly more compatible than 2e and 3e.) ToEE has always been my favorite D&D adventure so I cannot wait to run a group of fresh meat through it.
    Okay, but...

I would urge you to keep Feats moderate and limited in number, balance them with idiosyncrasies of some sort so as to get away from the comic book superhero PC.

FWIW,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Deuce Traveler
    If I may add two cents, I also think the skill system can bog down gameplay. It seems everyone rolls for 'diplomacy' now instead of the DM judging that the conversation was roleplayed well enough to be successful.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    If I may add two cents, I also think the skill system can bog down gameplay. It seems everyone rolls for 'diplomacy' now instead of the DM judging that the conversation was roleplayed well enough to be successful.
    I have found the opposite true in the Lejendary Adventure game, that using skill bundles, not single skills. Of course there could be abuse of the Ability, Pretense, if the LM allowed it as no more that a d% check rather than requiring at least a modicum of roleplaying.

Cheers,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore DestroyYouAlot
    Hi, Gary. I've actually had question or two I've been dying to ask.

Ed Greenwood: What's your opinion of his original work on the Forgotten Realms - i.e., the setting up until the point that TSR bought it (summed up in the "grey box" campaign set)? And, had things gone differently (i.e., had you stayed with the company and remained with a modicum of control), would you have purchased/licensed a new campaign world, whether his or another one?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by DestroyYouAlot
    Hi, Gary. I've actually had question or two I've been dying to ask.

Ed Greenwood: What's your opinion of his original work on the Forgotten Realms - i.e., the setting up until the point that TSR bought it (summed up in the "grey box" campaign set)? And, had things gone differently (i.e., had you stayed with the company and remained with a modicum of control), would you have purchased/licensed a new campaign world, whether his or another one?
    I have insufficient knowledge of Forgotten Realms to comment.

Had I remained in creative control of the D&D game line at TSR one of the projects I planned was the complete development of of the Oerth world setting, and production of source nodules for the various states and outstanding featires of the Flanaess--such as the Roft Canyon, the Sea of Dust, etc.

That being the case, I doubt that TSR would have been interested in publishing and supporting another world setting--rather akin to creating and publishing another FRPG, so a waste of resources.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Thulcondar
    Again, speaking of which, was the Battle of Emridy Meadows (which of course forms the backdrop to the venerable T1 "Village of Hommlet") ever actually played out? For that matter, where are the Emridy Meadows, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Sadly, no. As a sort of military historian, board and tabletop wargamer, I used my imagation only to create those accounts.
    Not 100% accurate, if you count the battle played out by you and "the gang" at the Lake Geneva Convention this year... I still get a kick out of the pictures of the treant coming out of the forest...
    Robin Williams (1951-2014)
    You will be missed far more than you ever knew...

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Okay, but...

I would urge you to keep Feats moderate and limited in number, balance them with idiosyncrasies of some sort so as to get away from the comic book superhero PC.

FWIW,
    Gary
    Absolutely. I like the fact that feats allow a fighter to differentiate himself from another fighter (I just never liked the way kits did it), but I have a number of limits on the feats that the players can take and I have reduced the power level of a number of feats. I like for feats to be able to make your character *different*, not *better*. I quite dislike "super" PCs. PCs should become heroes through determination, luck, and skill, not because a feat allows them to kill a dragon in one hit. o.0

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    My skill system is heavily simplified, and also a hybrid of old rules with new rules. Diplomacy is certainly not the equivalent of charm person.

My skill system, in rough form, can be found here.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Not 100% accurate, if you count the battle played out by you and "the gang" at the Lake Geneva Convention this year... I still get a kick out of the pictures of the treant coming out of the forest...
    Pish!

That is ex post facto, Henry, not to mention some judge fudging with the ent

Gary

Hi Gary,

In the 1st edition monster manual, kobolds, goblins, and orcs are all lawful evil and of low intelligence. Besides their particular hates (i.e., elves, gnomes, etc) What should differentiate these creatures tactics-wise when a party encounters each of them?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 24 of 91 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast