Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 25

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr
    Absolutely. I like the fact that feats allow a fighter to differentiate himself from another fighter (I just never liked the way kits did it), but I have a number of limits on the feats that the players can take and I have reduced the power level of a number of feats. I like for feats to be able to make your character *different*, not *better*. I quite dislike "super" PCs. PCs should become heroes through determination, luck, and skill, not because a feat allows them to kill a dragon in one hit. o.0
    Airwalker, sometime when you are looking for something to do, take a look at the LA game, the Avatar creation section. With, knacks and quirks, skill-bundle selection, and freedom to select new Abilities, no two Avatars will be alike, even if they are in the same Order (class-like skill-bundle selection mandated, for example an Enchanter, Geourge (elementalist), or Noble (knight) Order. Of course, players are free to not chose to have an Order and freely select their skill-bundles in any order they choose. (The higher the order of selection, the greater the percentage of capacity in the chosen Ability possessed.)

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracuwulf
    Hi Gary,

In the 1st edition monster manual, kobolds, goblins, and orcs are all lawful evil and of low intelligence. Besides their particular hates (i.e., elves, gnomes, etc) What should differentiate these creatures tactics-wise when a party encounters each of them?
    Howdy,

The named humanoids are not particularly different in their method of attack, only in the weapons they employ, their AC, and the chance to hit. The LE alignment means that they are well-organized and can plan ambushes, fight in formation, and will likely obey orders from a superior.

Cheers,
    Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Airwalker, sometime when you are looking for something to do, take a look at the LA game, the Avatar creation section. With, knacks and quirks, skill-bundle selection, and freedom to select new Abilities, no two Avatars will be alike, even if they are in the same Order (class-like skill-bundle selection mandated, for example an Enchanter, Geourge (elementalist), or Noble (knight) Order. Of course, players are free to not chose to have an Order and freely select their skill-bundles in any order they choose. (The higher the order of selection, the greater the percentage of capacity in the chosen Ability possessed.)

Cheers,
    Gary
    Actually, although I do not own the LA system, I have based some of the changes to my 1e/3e hybrid on ideas I have gatherered from it here, and on other forums, not to mention the LA website, which is kicking by the way.

I hope one day to pick up the system and give it a whirl, but first I must find time to read these rulebooks, and time is a valuable commodity for me. I am definitely intrigued though and either this or Castles & Crusades will be my next game system purchase, when I do, in fact, get around to actually purchasing a new system.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore airwalkrr
    My communities:

Howdy,

The named humanoids are not particularly different in their method of attack, only in the weapons they employ, their AC, and the chance to hit. The LE alignment means that they are well-organized and can plan ambushes, fight in formation, and will likely obey orders from a superior.

Cheers,
    Gary
    This brings up an interesting question for me. Where did you get your inspriation for various humanoid races? Specifically orcs and goblins. We all know Tolkien used them extensively, but particularly on the alignment issue, what was your inspiration? Many old school gamers often argue for the LE alignment of orcs, but there are those who say they should be CE. I find myself on the fence on this issue. I like to think of my orcs as being very Tolkienesque and Turrosh Mak (as the paradigm for orcs in my campaign) certainly seems to be an organized and regimented kind of despot. But the wild feral nature of orcish combat often depicted in novels and movies does lend itself to making the CE argument worth considering. So I am often conflicted in wondering whether Mak should be a true paradigm, or rather an exception (and an exceptional exception at that!) to the rules.

I think evil humanoids with generally weaker individuals might tend to be lawful as a survival tool. So kobolds, goblins, and even orcs would tend towards lawful evil. Races with more powerful individuals have less need for group effort, and might tend to be more chaotic as a result (e.g. gnolls, bugbears, ogres, etc).

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Actually, although I do not own the LA system, I have based some of the changes to my 1e/3e hybrid on ideas I have gatherered from it here, and on other forums, not to mention the LA website, which is kicking by the way.

I hope one day to pick up the system and give it a whirl, but first I must find time to read these rulebooks, and time is a valuable commodity for me. I am definitely intrigued though and either this or Castles & Crusades will be my next game system purchase, when I do, in fact, get around to actually purchasing a new system.
    How well I can relate to time being the most precious resource!

While the LA game is not an open source, we do encourage using it for inspiration in designing your own systems, and we particularlt push the use of the monetary system therein. Permission to use it is easily obtained

While the C&C game is similar to most other class-based RPG, I am quite certain that you will find the LA game is really quite different. I have used a new patois in it so as to encourage the participant to have the new mindset...something even I have to work at now and then because of my long immersion in D&D.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    This brings up an interesting question for me. Where did you get your inspriation for various humanoid races? Specifically orcs and goblins. We all know Tolkien used them extensively, but particularly on the alignment issue, what was your inspiration? Many old school gamers often argue for the LE alignment of orcs, but there are those who say they should be CE. I find myself on the fence on this issue. I like to think of my orcs as being very Tolkienesque and Turrosh Mak (as the paradigm for orcs in my campaign) certainly seems to be an organized and regimented kind of despot. But the wild feral nature of orcish combat often depicted in novels and movies does lend itself to making the CE argument worth considering. So I am often conflicted in wondering whether Mak should be a true paradigm, or rather an exception (and an exceptional exception at that!) to the rules.
    Basically, I used my extensive background of reading history, military history, folklore, fairy tales, mythology, SF, horror, and fantasy fiction to envisage humanoid races that would be interesting in the fantasy workd of the D&D game.

Lawful Evil means that the particular race is organized, cooperative within its own boundaries, and capable of training and discipline. Those are the principle qualities in regards to the aplication of the LE alignment. the rest is mainly window dressing--the deities, social organization, heirarchy, dress, etc.

CE forces do not advance in formation but atack in a wild mass. think of LE as somethink akin to the Roman Legion, CE as the swarm of screaming barbarians, and NE as something in betwee,

Cheers,
    Gary

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Ron
    [...]
    [T]hink of LE as somethink akin to the Roman Legion, CE as the swarm of screaming barbarians, and NE as something in betwee,[sic]

Cheers,
    Gary
    I am pretty sure the Romans and the Barbarians have significantly different opinions regarding their own armies.

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    GM's DayCMG

Ignore Mark CMG
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    I am pretty sure the Romans and the Barbarians have significantly different opinions regarding their own armies.

I guess the most obvious being that barbarians is a term used about others?
    Fighting Fire - Ernie Gygax Relief Fund

Please, help boost the signal!

http://tinyurl.com/gygaxrelief

As always,
    Mark CMG
    CreativeMountainGames.com

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    Which has absolutely no bearing on the relative organizational skills of the groups under consideration for an example of "Lawful" as opposed to "Chaoric" as presented above...and which examples are historically accurate

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Saturday, 23rd September, 2006 at 07:42 PM.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 25 of 91 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast