Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 61

+ Log in or register to post
Page 61 of 91 FirstFirst ... 11 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Being improperly prepared to run the adventure, whether mentally so or not having studied the packaged material. This is something I am often guilty of, but amny times I manage to make up for the lack through being able to create by the seat of my pants...and sometimes falling flat doing so I resort to distracting the group with war stories and jokes
    I'm fortunate that my group gets distracted by their own stories & jokes readily enough. (^_^) If I need time to think, I just let them go with the occasional nod or laugh to make them think I'm listening instead of scrambling to figure things out. (Not that they're truly fooled...)

But what if I'm not using packaged material? If I'm striving to follow "the Gygaxian school", when do I know that I've adequately prepared?

Quoting from an earlier response about building a world instead of a story...

A bit of backstory to ground the players in the setting and give them an idea of what is currently happening is sufficient direction. From there on it must be up to them.
    Can you expand on this a little? How detailed should the setting--at a minimum--be? What are the essential elements? Can you give a summary example of a "what is currently happening"?

The second most common mistake I have observed is the Gm not being in control of the game play and the group.
    I'm not sure I'm following. Can you give an example of what you mean?
    (^_^)

Anything I type is only my opinion unless explicitly stated otherwise, which should go without saying. Please assume that I've left out a smiley after every sentence. Thank you.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Happiness
    The set up of that initial "adventure" had appealed to my love for "yarns" vs. "Fantasy Epic Vols. I-MCMXLVIV."

Now that got me thinking...did you ever approach your adventure writing to invoke a sense of a "No s***, so there I (or Mordenkainen or Yrag, etc) was" factor vs. a "In the 10th day of the 2,038th year of the fourth cycle of the Sixth Age, four heroes who were the Special Destined Chosen Ones yadda yadda yadda" factor?
    Yes, I generally did design adventures on that basis, although not condidering my own PCs as a part of the pocture in mind when the work was in process of creation. That's because I often find "epic fantasy" tedious and dull.

Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    E-mail sent.
    Okay,

But as of now I have not received it. Perhaps I inadvertently deleted it with the 200+ spam messages in the inbox this AM... A resend would be good

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh

The Dexter's Lab' FRPG cartoon was actually quite promising, more like what I would have preferred to the soft D&D Cartoon Show action with no immitatable violence because of kiddie programming restrictions. What sort of wimps is this country now nuturring? :\

Cheers,
    Gary

The Dexter's Lab' FRPG cartoon was actually quite promising, more like what I would have preferred to the soft D&D Cartoon Show action with no immitatable violence because of kiddie programming restrictions. What sort of wimps is this country now nuturring? :\

Cheers,
    Gary
    That is true, I can't recall how many bloody-handed stories from history and mythology and religion I read up on as a child, but the cartoons? Bloodless. Then again, my mom's from Japan so I got a line to watch Japanese cartoon and there it all was. Violence, blood, guts...for kids! And they have a lower crime rate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss
    You know Prince of Happiness got it right first time the rest of this thread is just filler.
    Now Recruiting Stalwarts For Castles & Crusades In Seattle!

Quote Originally Posted by rossik
    ive just looked for, but can t find a english version, just spanish..how did u find it?
    Here you go my good sir!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKapnlWH8fw
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss
    You know Prince of Happiness got it right first time the rest of this thread is just filler.
    Now Recruiting Stalwarts For Castles & Crusades In Seattle!

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore rossik
    gee..that was fast!
    thanks!

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by RFisher
    I'm fortunate that my group gets distracted by their own stories & jokes readily enough. (^_^) If I need time to think, I just let them go with the occasional nod or laugh to make them think I'm listening instead of scrambling to figure things out. (Not that they're truly fooled...)

But what if I'm not using packaged material? If I'm striving to follow "the Gygaxian school", when do I know that I've adequately prepared?

Quoting from an earlier response about building a world instead of a story...

Can you expand on this a little? How detailed should the setting--at a minimum--be? What are the essential elements? Can you give a summary example of a "what is currently happening"?

I'm not sure I'm following. Can you give an example of what you mean?
    To save me a lot of time and effort, just check how I introduce all of that in a module. I give a GM's forward, a players one, sometimes a separate backstory to read aloud, and the current situation.

Frankly, i have no desire to write an article here

Cheers,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Scott_Holst
    Hi-

That was awesome, thanks for the link!!

Scott

To save me a lot of time and effort, just check how I introduce all of that in a module. I give a GM's forward, a players one, sometimes a separate backstory to read aloud, and the current situation.

Frankly, i have no desire to write an article here
    In my own defense, I did try to ask specific questions that I thought you could give brief answers for because I knew you didn't want to write an article. & while I have read many of your modules, many of the other things you've told us have convinced me that your published works don't always give me a clear idea of how you actually play. Plus, I figure B2 can't reflect any wisdom that's come to you in the intervening years.

& can you blame me for trying? (^_^) I'll go re-read your modules now. Thanks!
    (^_^)

Anything I type is only my opinion unless explicitly stated otherwise, which should go without saying. Please assume that I've left out a smiley after every sentence. Thank you.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 61 of 91 FirstFirst ... 11 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast