Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 68

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Gaijin or gwalo (spelling) in the Chin Empire's protocols, only Imperial favor can make such persons acceptable...

I have seen Ran and most of Kurosawa's other films. I got hooked on them when I was a young chap living in Chicage and sas Seven Samurai soon after I learned to play Shogi.

Cheers,
    Gary

Have you seen Kadokawa's HEAVEN AND EARTH, Gary? It's a bit more recent (1990 or 1991, IIRC). It is however very pretty. Lacks a lot of the subtext of a Kurosawa film but if you want to watch Samurai armies go at it you can't go wrong with that one.
    BIG COLLABORATIVE DUNGEON PROJECT! SIGN UP AND ADD A ROOM!

http://www.thedelversdungeon.com/images/tdd1.gif

Parenthetically, photostat copies of the manuscript rules were made, and when the commercial game was published, fans not willing or financially unable to expend the princely sum of $10 for the product did likewise, copying the material on school (mainly college/university) machines. We were well aware of this, and many gamers who had spent their hard-earned money to buy the game were more irate than we were. In all, though, the 'pirate' material was more helpful that not. Many new fans were made by DMs who were using such copies to run their games. - Gary Gygax

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by PapersAndPaychecks
    Oh, that's interesting too.

My experience has been that experienced players can get through S1 without too many losses. Perhaps I DM it incorrectly, but my players have a habit (in heavily-trapped areas) of using summoned monsters, or the zombies of summoned monsters, or unseen servants or whatever, to open every door, walk down every corridor, explore every room and pick everything up... and learning what they face by watching to see how the summoned monsters die. This tactic seemed infallibly successful in S1.

Equally, my experience has been that G3 is the most challenging module I've ever run. Groups that made it through S1 without seeming to have a difficult time get stomped in Snurre's throne room... the geography of the dungeon seems to mean that the fire giant reinforcements are able to cut off the players' escape route, and once the rakshasas arrive, it's basically all over. Again, perhaps I DM it incorrectly.
    I never allow summoning of monsters in the ToH, so the party that enters can not be reinforced along the way.

As for the G3 challenges, after the party has adventures through G1 and G2, the PCs should be powerful enough to manage the fire giants et al.

Cheers,
    Gary

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore dcas
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Another bit of curiosity: did you and Arneson ever play in each others' campaigns?
    Haakon,

You might find the following interesting reading:

Robilar Remembers: Journey to the City of the Gods

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Gary, I have a quick side note: I sent you an e-mail to your genevaonline address approximately a week ago; is this still the correct address for you? Sorry to bother you, but I just wanted to see if you had received it.

Thank you!
    Sorry, Henry, but I have not received it...or else it was deleted in one of my spam-slaying frenzies

Please resend priority, and the red exclamation mark will clue me that it is not to be dumped/

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by thedungeondelver

Have you seen Kadokawa's HEAVEN AND EARTH, Gary? It's a bit more recent (1990 or 1991, IIRC). It is however very pretty. Lacks a lot of the subtext of a Kurosawa film but if you want to watch Samurai armies go at it you can't go wrong with that one.
    Ah yes...

the struggle between the two Japanese nobles IIRR. There is a good deal ow warfare therein, and I enjoyed watching it twice on my big screen telly...even though Gail is not overly fond of such flicks

Cheers,
    Gary

Ah yes...

the struggle between the two Japanese nobles IIRR. There is a good deal ow warfare therein, and I enjoyed watching it twice on my big screen telly...even though Gail is not overly fond of such flicks

Cheers,
    Gary

Yep! That's the one - Kagetora versus Takeda Shingen.

I'll bring you a DVD of it if you like.

Parenthetically, photostat copies of the manuscript rules were made, and when the commercial game was published, fans not willing or financially unable to expend the princely sum of $10 for the product did likewise, copying the material on school (mainly college/university) machines. We were well aware of this, and many gamers who had spent their hard-earned money to buy the game were more irate than we were. In all, though, the 'pirate' material was more helpful that not. Many new fans were made by DMs who were using such copies to run their games. - Gary Gygax

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh

Yep! That's the one - Kagetora versus Takeda Shingen.

I'll bring you a DVD of it if you like.

The DVE player we have is operably only by my wide...who is not much of a fan of such movies. Of course I would like to have a copy for viewing now and then, and for son Ernie to copy and put into his massive library of films and sporting events.

Ciao,
    Gary

The DVE player we have is operably only by my wide...who is not much of a fan of such movies. Of course I would like to have a copy for viewing now and then, and for son Ernie to copy and put into his massive library of films and sporting events.

Ciao,
    Gary

Consider it sent. I copied my (now out of print) laserdisk to DVD long ago - I'll shoot you one tomorrow.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh

Consider it sent. I copied my (now out of print) laserdisk to DVD long ago - I'll shoot you one tomorrow.
    Thankee kindly

Ciao,
    Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    I have seen Ran and most of Kurosawa's other films. I got hooked on them when I was a young chap living in Chicage and sas Seven Samurai soon after I learned to play Shogi.
    Hey Gary, here's a question I don't remember anyone asking yet: what's you're favorite movie?

And in case it's not an obviously D&Dish movie, do you have a favorite in the swords & sorcery genre?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 68 of 91 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast