Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII - Page 9




+ Log in or register to post
Page 9 of 91 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 905
  1. #81
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,905

    Ignore fusangite
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Saint is not a term that is exclusive to the Christian religion, and St. Cuthbert was more of a joke than otherwise. Consider the advicacy of pounding sense into someone's head by dint of blows from a club.
    Once again, Gary, I see intentionality where it might not have been. I have been assuming that you based a chunk of the cleric class's spell list on the miracles performed by St. Cuthbert in Bede's Life of Saint Cuthbert. The Create Water, Flame Strike spells and various other seemed to indicate you were, at some point, deriving the cleric spell list from actual medieval miracles.
    I do not advocate any use of actual religion in an RPG. Any references I have made to Arab-like civizilations do not include any hint of Islam in them. the same holds for Judaism and Christianity. As a matter of fact, I did not write Deities and Demigods, nor did I use it in my campaign.
    This I'm very glad to hear; people focus on the Fiend Folio as the mistaken text in AD&D but I have to say that Deities and Demigods is the book that ultimately caused me to take a long sabbatical from AD&D in the mid-80s.
    A Fusangite

    -----------------------------------

    one must depart from the province of Lean-tong, north of Peking and that after travelling 12,000 li, the traveller would reach Japan, and thence to the north, after a journey of 7000 li, arrive at the country of Wen-Schin (the painted people). Five thousand li from this country towards the east is Tahan, which is 20,000 li from Fusang.

    -- A 6th century account of Fusang, the country across the Pacific from China.

 

  • #82
    Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

    MerricB's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waubra, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    11,609
    Blog Entries
    37
    D&D Doctor Who I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore MerricB
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    As for the chief antagonist, it was meant to be Exlavdra on behlaf of the EEG, with the minions of Lolth, not the demoness per se., being second and a counterweight to the former as noted. The latter will fight against the Eilservs and tolerate for a time the presence of a PC party that is discommoding their foes.
    Heh. My explanation of Q1 is that it's a plot by Eclavdra to kill or weaken Lolth. Send a party of foolish surface-dwellers against the demon-spider and see what happens. Weaken her enough and perhaps the EEG can then take control...

    Of course, I don't accord Lolth status as a deity, seeing her as a malign figure who has lured many disaffected elves away from their true gods; she's definitely slayable by groups of great power and intelligence. (Even if foolish enough to be tricked by Eclavdra).

    D3 was the first module I ever bought. The GD series remains as a series I've yet to run or play. It's on my list of things to do, but there are lots of interesting things happening in my current campaign that spawn more adventures, of course!

    Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Blog - a blog about gaming | Now on Twitter! | Running 4E Combats Quickly
    Reviews of classic D&D adventures
    Merric's Law of Miniatures: Non-Random Packaging, Cheap Prices, and a Large Range of Figures: Choose two.

  • #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh



    Anyway, I ain't hard to recognize, and I'll likely be at the Troll Lord Games booth pretty often. I am told that they'll have a four-space island next year, so the booth shoould be fairly easy to locate.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    And you'll have to put up with me and my folks as well.. bwah ah ah ah.
    Peter

    C&C Art Troll

    www.ravenchilde.com

  • #84
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by rossik
    ow, i see....sorry about that
    Heh,

    No need to apologise

    If I didn't like something I wrote, I would have no business offering it for publication, having it in print.

    The fact is I am essentially a pragmatist in regards to such matters as have passed. There is too much before to be looking back.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #85
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)



    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Meadville PA 16335
    Posts
    96

    Ignore robertsconley
    I am long time gamer (since 1978) and first want to thanks for coming up with D&D which has consumed so much of free time.

    My question is that I read that your original Greyhawk campaign was based on a map of North America. If so I am wondering how you arranged things, like where was the City of Greyhawk.

    Thanks
    Rob Conley

  • #86
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by fusangite
    Once again, Gary, I see intentionality where it might not have been. I have been assuming that you based a chunk of the cleric class's spell list on the miracles performed by St. Cuthbert in Bede's Life of Saint Cuthbert. The Create Water, Flame Strike spells and various other seemed to indicate you were, at some point, deriving the cleric spell list from actual medieval miracles. This I'm very glad to hear; people focus on the Fiend Folio as the mistaken text in AD&D but I have to say that Deities and Demigods is the book that ultimately caused me to take a long sabbatical from AD&D in the mid-80s.
    No, the cleric spells were all made up from my imagination as things fitting for that class.

    The Deities and Demigods book had plenty of flaws, but some make believe deities are generally necessary for a FRPG campaign methinks.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #87
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by MerricB
    Heh. My explanation of Q1 is that it's a plot by Eclavdra to kill or weaken Lolth. Send a party of foolish surface-dwellers against the demon-spider and see what happens. Weaken her enough and perhaps the EEG can then take control...

    Of course, I don't accord Lolth status as a deity, seeing her as a malign figure who has lured many disaffected elves away from their true gods; she's definitely slayable by groups of great power and intelligence. (Even if foolish enough to be tricked by Eclavdra).

    D3 was the first module I ever bought. The GD series remains as a series I've yet to run or play. It's on my list of things to do, but there are lots of interesting things happening in my current campaign that spawn more adventures, of course!

    Cheers!
    Powerful evil entities are certainly on a par with deities. check any slid book of mythology, and that's evident. Their powers are generally destrictive, not creative, but that goes with the territory

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #88
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon_thorne
    And you'll have to put up with me and my folks as well.. bwah ah ah ah.


    My pleasure of course!

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #89
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by robertsconley
    I am long time gamer (since 1978) and first want to thanks for coming up with D&D which has consumed so much of free time.

    My question is that I read that your original Greyhawk campaign was based on a map of North America. If so I am wondering how you arranged things, like where was the City of Greyhawk.

    Thanks
    Rob Conley


    Yuppers. North America and the rest of the globe, in fact. the West coast was a land of dinosaurs and cave men... Greyhawk was about where Chicago is, and Dyvers was located around where Milwaukee is.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh


    Yuppers. North America and the rest of the globe, in fact. the West coast was a land of dinosaurs and cave men... Greyhawk was about where Chicago is, and Dyvers was located around where Milwaukee is.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Just out of curiosity, was Dyvers in your world known for its cheeses and pilsners?
    I am an OGL Warrior!

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 9 of 91 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI
      By Col_Pladoh in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 518
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th August, 2006, 09:30 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 484
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th July, 2006, 08:39 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X
      By Tuzenbach in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 484
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th July, 2006, 08:39 PM
    4. Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 490
      Last Post: Sunday, 20th February, 2005, 04:02 PM
    5. Q&A with Gary Gygax - Part I
      By thatdarncat in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 715
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th January, 2003, 02:19 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •