What do you do if you make a paladin and you roll, say, a 4.

Question

First Post
Lets say you want to make a paladin really badly. You have the concept all written up, a killer background, etc.

You roll stats, you get pretty decent stats......lets hypothetically say you have 2 16s,a 14 and 2 12s.

But you end up with a 4 for the last stat.

The DM will not let you re-roll the 4, or allow you to use a pointbuy, or anything. You are stuck with what you got.

As a paladin, what would you put the 4 in?

Clearly, str, dex and con are out.....or you will be useless in the frontline. That leaves 3 options, int wis or cha.

Keeping in mind this is not a hack and slash, and that both mechanical and RP effects are there, which would stat would you put it into, and why?

FrostedMini1337

First Post
Honestly, I'd put it in Str or Dex and go RP heavy(Vow of Peace) if I put it in Str, or Armor Laden if I put it in Dex.

Int you're a retard pure and simple, same for Wis. You'd make to many bad decisions that would put that party in danger.

Cha is the answer. You're just very very very gruff, and most likely physically deformed. Look at it this way: it's just a bonus to saves anyway I guess.

Goldmoon

First Post
Clearly based on the Paladins abilities, Wis and Cha are out as well, leaving only Int. Try to make the most of crappy skill points and get used to saying "huh?" a lot.

Patlin

Explorer
I seem to remember a Dragon Magazine editorial in which a Paladin with low Int was allways askng his warhorse for advice...

Int is probably the best choice, though Wisdom is possible... Paladin spells aren't anything to write home about. You might even consider Dexterity, and plan for full plate armor and eventually a really expensive set of gloves.

...Intelligence is the best choice.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Int.

It is a painfully tired stereotype IMHO, so I could not stand playing such a character.

Wis, if you are willing to give up spellcasting. Almost as bad as Wis. Works better if you are playing an alternative non-spellcasting variant of the Paladin.

Dex is entirely doable as the dumpstat. But the classic stand-toe-to-toe melee style may not work out so well in most parties. If you have a big meaty Fighter friend to stand next to, it could be okay. AC matters a bit less if you are doing mounted combat. And an archer build using Divine Might is not out of the question.

Sejs

First Post
Dex. A -3 to your AC isn't the end of the world particularly when you're in full plate and using a heavy shield. Your divine grace will help make up for the loss of ref save.

If you have an int of 4 your skills are virtually nonexistant, and, well, you're dumb. Paladining is not a job that rewards stupidity. It actually tends to punish it pretty badly as a matter of fact.

If you've got a wis of 4 your spellcasting gets neutered.

If you've got a cha of 4 you may as well not even be a paladin given how many of your paladin abilities are based off cha.

frankthedm

First Post
Int 4 and your skill is Ride. So you are not book smart, big deal.

If you are rolling you have a weird way of rolling.

In point buy you did it to yourself. I think it would take an Ogre or Minotaur Paladin to get that low of Int in point buy.

Last edited:

Vorput

First Post
I say not int... I just have a hard time picturing a paladin with that low of an intelligence...

I too, am gonna side with dex... it'll suck... but it could be worse... get some gloves of dex early and and try to bring it to a more meaningful level...

But I too, would have such a poor time playing a character like that i might just suicide him... an 8 is very doable.. a 6- sure... but a 4 AND the rest good stats... I don't quite buy it.

Don Quixote might have had a low int though... or a low wisdom... or a low dex... all seem to fit the modern view of him... and he was a paladin... of sorts.

Augh! Giants with 4 arms!! Charge!

Vorp

Remove ads