Mindless Spellcasters?

Kafkonia

First Post
Can a creature with an Int score of "--" cast spells? Specifically, a construct casting clerical spells. Not Spell-Like Abilities, but a "The construct casts spells as a 4th-level cleric" situation.

I haven't found anything in the rules that don't permit it, but then again I haven't found anything in the rules covering this at all.

A creature with Int of -- couldn't be a wizard, but would work out just fine as a cleric or sorcerer. AFAIK, there is no limitation that a mindless creature cannot cast spells.

If you need to explain this in a campaign setting, divine casting is pretty easy. The gods grant the construct the ability to channel energies the same as they grant them to a human. Explaining how arcane casting is a little harder, but I would say that it works on more of a rituatilistic basis: the construct knows to put A with B and perform motion C, but has no understanding whatsoever of why these actions are being done.

Goolpsy

First Post
yes.. no arcane spells without some special power enabling it to do so... you mgiht have seen sveral places that a player can't cast spell unless he has a high enought int bonus etc... and no spell with a int of less than 10.... Same count for monsters... Even constructs!

Kafkonia

First Post
Goolpsy said:
yes.. no arcane spells without some special power enabling it to do so... you mgiht have seen sveral places that a player can't cast spell unless he has a high enought int bonus etc... and no spell with a int of less than 10.... Same count for monsters... Even constructs!

Actually, I checked the Trumpet Archon, and she doesn't meet the Wisdom requirement for the spells she casts (unless this was errata'd.)

I won't have a problem explaining it in-story, because it's a construct with a decidedly extraplanar/magical origin.

Stalker0

Legend
I would say yes but with some restrictions. The construct would have the exact same spells everyday, and would cast them in a very regimented "programmed way." So the golem might cast doom, chain lightning, and inflict crit wounds or something in everyfight. It could be fighting a small dinosaur or a group of adventurers and it would always cast in the same way..that's how I'd play it.

Artoomis

First Post
pawsplay said:
The Shield Guardian can already cast spells.

Not really, no, but it provides a great answer to this thread's question:

Shield Guardian said:
Shield Other (Sp)
The wearer of a shield guardian’s amulet can activate this defensive ability if within 100 feet of the shield guardian. Just as the spell of the same name, this ability transfers to the shield guardian half the damage that would be dealt to the amulet wearer (this ability does not provide the spell’s AC or save bonuses).

Spell Storing (Sp)
A shield guardian can store one spell of 4th level or lower that is cast into it by another creature. It "casts" this spell when commanded to do so or when a predefined situation arises. Once this spell is used, the shield guardian can store another spell (or the same spell again).

This is a great precendent to follow. Anything mindless is incapable of making its own decisions and that would include casting spells of any kind unless something along the lines of the Shield Guardian.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Actual spells on a mindless critter is really a stretch.

Preparing spells takes an hour of time devoted to doing so and making choices on what spells to prepare. Regaining spell slots per day, for spontaneous casters, takes 15 minutes of meditation.

Casting said spells takes specific word, hand gesticulations and manipulations of materials keyed to individual spells.

Spell likes and supernatural abilities maybe, but honest to goodness spells should be impossible for a mindless critter due to the complexities involved

Remove ads