Help with a Scout Build

Fat Daddy

First Post
I died. (Ref post about save versus assassin's death attack) Need to roll up a 7th level character. Thinking about going with a Scout. Should I focus on ranged attacks or melee attacks? What races work well with the scout?

All 3.5 WotC books allowed, maybe 3rd party on a case by case basis
32 point buy
standard gold 19000 gp

Please help me, I don't wanna die again! :)

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
I've been playing with a scout/psychic warrior (and later Slayer, but that's not relevant.) Hustle works very nicely with Skirmish. If you can fit 4 levels of psychic warrior into your build, moving and then taking a full attack with skirmish bonuses can be yours. If you're melee rather than ranged, psionic lions charge is also a possibility.

Chimera

First Post
Ranged Scout.

Put a few points in Strength, then get a Strong Shortbow +1 with an energy ability.

Right there you're looking at d6+1+str+d6 energy+Nd6 Skirmish. Even better if your party Wizard or Bard can add Sonic Weapon on top of your energy type.

Potentially a level or three of Rogue could add d6 or 2d6 sneak damage, though the circumstances are sometimes limited.

In a past game, one player went Ranger 2/Scout N, then Order of the Bow. Taking a couple of Ranger levels gives you Track and the archer combat feats, plus the ability to trade in that shortbow for a longbow.

At Ranger 2/Scout 5, you'd be skirmishing (single shot) at 40' move and

d8+1+str+d6 energy+2d6 skirmish

or an average damage of 18 with a Str of 14.

I think the Scout is interesting, but the requirement to move 10' is a serious limiting factor, in that you lose out on Full Attack options if you're intent on getting your skirmish bonus.

As Thanee noted, Manyshot is a good option, especially if you go with the Energy bow.

Fat Daddy

First Post
Chimera said:
Potentially a level or three of Rogue could add d6 or 2d6 sneak damage, though the circumstances are sometimes limited.
I considered that, I think I would rather stick with Scout and increase the skirmish rather than adding sneak attack to it.
Chimera said:
In a past game, one player went Ranger 2/Scout N, then Order of the Bow. Taking a couple of Ranger levels gives you Track and the archer combat feats, plus the ability to trade in that shortbow for a longbow.

At Ranger 2/Scout 5, you'd be skirmishing (single shot) at 40' move and

d8+1+str+d6 energy+2d6 skirmish

or an average damage of 18 with a Str of 14.
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I was considering a fighter 2 for the bonus feats. When I compare Ranger 2 gives you Track, and Combat Style:Archery=Rapid Shot (I don't really care about wild empathy and favored enemy is nice, but of limited use). Fighter 2 gives you 2 bonus feats as well. I think it is basically a 'flavor' issue between the two. I would probably go with Ranger
Chimera said:
I think the Scout is interesting, but the requirement to move 10' is a serious limiting factor, in that you lose out on Full Attack options if you're intent on getting your skirmish bonus.
I thought there was a feat that allowed you to take a move action and a full attack but when I see that written down it would obviously be broken. I was probably thinking of Shot on the Run with the move before and after a ranged attack.
Chimera said:
As Thanee noted, Manyshot is a good option, especially if you go with the Energy bow.
Agreed. I have never taken Manyshot but I looked it up after Thanee's post and think it would go well. Might even offset the inability to take a full attack action.

Last edited:

Fat Daddy

First Post
New Feat?

Chimera said:

I just thought of this. Probably overpowered but...

Improved Tactical Movement [general] (or greater skirmish or whatever)
You can take a 10' move in a round that you take a full round action, such as making multiple attacks.

Prereq: Dex 15, Skirmish Ability, BAB +8, Shot on the Run OR Spring Attack

Benefit: In a round that you take a full round action, such as a full attack, you may also make a 10' tactical move.

Normal: Normally only a 5' tactical move may be made in a round in which you also take a full round action.

Special: A scout may select Improved Tactical Movement as one of his scout bonus feats. A fighter may select Improved Tactical Movement as one of his fighter bonus feats.

I've never designed a feat before (and this is off the top of my head at work) but I have seen what happens. So let the beat down about this feat begin in 3...2...1...Begin :)

Seriously though, way broken? slightly broken? high end of workable? fixable?

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
Melee scout - Dervish - will allow you to move and take a full attack, so you get your skirmish bonus on all your attacks while dervish dancing.

Ranged scout - go mounted, as you can make a full attack when your mount is moving (and get your skirmish bonus on all attacks).

-Stuart

TheNovaLord

First Post
take wood elf for both the Str bonus and Longbow prof and low loight vision helps.

we currenlty have a scout that has got from level 1 (where he took mounted combat feat)to level 4 in the party. he has an impressive jump (10ft move bonus + stat + 2 synergies)+ very good tumble skill, so skirts the edges of the battle field, favouring difficult terrian. first time we have used the scout class. Acquired a magic str bow. Always seems nice and and good to play. see how the low-mid levels pan out.
With 32 points 18str and dex isnt a problem.

JohnD

pawsplay

Hero
So far, I've picked out a few sweet combos for the scout.

With bonus feats, a ranged attacking Scout could go Track, (3rd) Point Blank Shot, (6th) Precise Shot, (8th) Dodge, (9th) Mobility, (12th) Shot on the Run, Rapid Shot, (15th) Manyshot. At low levels, this is basically ranger-lite. At 12th level, however, you can make use of Shot on the Run to skirmish while gaining an AC bonus and maintaining cover relative to your opponent. If skirmishing is not an option, or the foe is far way, Rapid Shot comes into play. At 15th, you can move and shoot, spraying two arrows and getting a skirmish bonus on one of them, which can be a lot of damage, particularly with an elemental bow. Being a human or skipping Track can turn this into a real archery monster, although you won't be able to get Improved Shot before 15th level.

A melee version might be Track, (3rd) Dodge, (4th) Mobility, (6th) Two Weapon Fighting, (8th) Spring Attack, (9th) Two Weapon Defense, (12th), Combat Expertise, Whirlwind Attack, (15th) Weapon Finesse. Basically, this character is moving and skirmishing, and later on carries two shortswords or handaxes either for defense or for standing their ground. This character can also make a skirmishing full attack in certain exotic circumstances.

There are a number of methods of getting a full attack skirmish. One method would be a class such as Dervish that allows a full attack while moving. Another would be special kinds of attacks, such as an Animal Lord (catlord)'s charging attack, or mixing in psionic powers. If you delay your action, a Marshal could grant you a move action, and you could follow up with a full attack or whirlwind attack. If you have the sidestep feat, you could take a 5' step, ready a full attack if you move 10' or more, and if your opponent drew an AoO, you could full attack skirmish. However, most of the time, except for special charge attacks, or using a dervish dance, and so forth, regularly gaining more than one skirmish a round is difficult and not necessarily worthwhile. The extra dice of damage are nice, but you won't duplicate the AC bonus, and you'll never match a rogue for damage output.

Some of the best PrCs are Highlands Stalker (full BAB and skirmish, but requires Endurance, good for multiclassed fighter/scouts or ranger/scouts), Animal Lord (especially cat or wolf, for pounce and scent, respectively), Horizon Walker (solid hit dice and BAB, plus tons of skill bonuses, if you want to emphasize that side), Thief-Acrobat (requires evasion, allows some great uses of skirmish and tumbling), Tempest (two weapon spring attack!). However, it's a good class for taking all the way to 20, which nets you five bonus feats, a very nice skirmish, blindsight, and freedom of movement. The scout is better at scouting than is either the ranger of rogue. However, the rogue is a better damage dealer and can learn some specialized combat moves, and the ranger is a better tracker and straight up fighter.

pawsplay

Hero
szilard said:
Melee scout - Dervish - will allow you to move and take a full attack, so you get your skirmish bonus on all your attacks while dervish dancing.

Ranged scout - go mounted, as you can make a full attack when your mount is moving (and get your skirmish bonus on all attacks).

-Stuart

I believe you do not get your skirmish bonus when mounted.

Remove ads