Best system for horror... Thoughts?

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I am a big fan of the Supernatural series on the WB and thought it might be neat to run a game based on the same premise. I've got Call of Cthulhu d20 and d20 Modern but neither seem to be a good fit. In fact, none of the "Hit-Point" systems seem to be a good fit since the brothers seem to be getting knocked-out fairly frequently. I'm leaning toward Call of Cthulhu (Chaosium) but I was curious to see what the rest of the EnWorlders though might be the best system for a cinematic horror game.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
For a cinematic game? Well, either you try using Cthulhu d20 with the rules for Wounds and Vitality from Star Wars d20 / Unearthed Arcana...

... Or you run with the new World of Darkness.

Nebulous

Legend
i'm using d20 Call of Cthulhu spliced with the additional Horror Rules from Grim Tales, and a massive Damage threshold = Con, and it's working beautifully.

I'd go with Chaosium's CoC or Warhammer 2e if you want a more fantasy element.

Chaosium's ever-diminishing sanity system was a great way of generating PC fear, as far as doing so mechanically is concerned.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
I am a big fan of the Supernatural series on the WB and thought it might be neat to run a game based on the same premise. I've got Call of Cthulhu d20 and d20 Modern but neither seem to be a good fit. In fact, none of the "Hit-Point" systems seem to be a good fit since the brothers seem to be getting knocked-out fairly frequently. I'm leaning toward Call of Cthulhu (Chaosium) but I was curious to see what the rest of the EnWorlders though might be the best system for a cinematic horror game.

If you're wanting to avoid a "hit point" system you may want to check out True 20 from Green Ronin. It has a toughness save similar to M&M and would probably be a better match for what you're describing.

Delta

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
I'm leaning toward Call of Cthulhu (Chaosium) but I was curious to see what the rest of the EnWorlders though might be the best system for a cinematic horror game.

D&D with lots of monsters draining levels & eliminating magic items with no save. :)

Gothmog

First Post
For regular horror? No question, CoC BRP is the best. Honorable mention goes to Kult for some really weird ideas and disturbing imagery, and Warhammer 2e is great for fantasy horror. Oddly enough, some of the creepiest games I have run were with Deadlands classic rules too, but thats more for Weird Westerns. I haven't tried True 20 with horror, but it looks like it would also be a great fit.

Last edited:

Remove ads