Gnomes vs. Halflings - Demihuman genocide!

Gnomes vs. Halflings!

• Gnomes!

Votes: 89 42.6%
  • Halflings!

Votes: 120 57.4%

The Edge

First Post
Gnomes are cool, but somehow they very often get forgoten. I once realised that there only seemed to about 10 gnomes in my entire campain world, and no gnome towns or anything. My worlds packed full of halflings, which have kinda became the joint dominant race alongside humans. I actually brought in a side plot thing about there being so few gnomes left in the world. I like them, but simply forgot to give them a place anywhere. :\

I wouldn't realy want to see either go. Not sure. The PHB should come with a 'Don't forget your gnomes!' warning.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
taliesin15 said:
Kind of a strange idea that WoTC would consider eliminating either one! How bout eliminating some of the prestige classes or alternative races like half dragon first? Both gnome and halfling are too ingrained. Hobbits are famous, and gnomes are extensively cited in historical fantasy literature. Very, very odd. I always liked the idea of the gnome as a trickster type, prone to using Illusionist class. The whole thing makes one wonder if there's simply a lack of ideas in the development of 4E.

I think your sarcasm meter might be broken.

Conaill

First Post
taliesin15 said:
Kind of a strange idea that WoTC would consider eliminating either one! How bout eliminating some of the prestige classes or alternative races like half dragon first? Both gnome and halfling are too ingrained. Hobbits are famous, and gnomes are extensively cited in historical fantasy literature.
Except that 3.X halflings are no longer Hobbits, and 3.X gnomes have almost nothing in common with their mythological counterparts...

Just the *names* remain. The original concepts have been dropped years ago.

pawsplay

Hero
The modern incarnation of the gnome seems to be ripped from The Neverending Story. The New Halfling is kender-lite, wandering into dangerously un-PC gypsy stereotype territory.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I vote "stop reading posts you don't want to read."

/fishslap

Silly my trying to get some sense into people.

"I don't like this race so nobody should be able to use them."

taliesin15

First Post
Conaill said:
Except that 3.X halflings are no longer Hobbits, and 3.X gnomes have almost nothing in common with their mythological counterparts...

Just the *names* remain. The original concepts have been dropped years ago.

yeah, good point--like so much in 3rd edition that seems too compromised or "updated" to death--in any case, it doesn't matter what get puts in print by WoTC, as long as people play D&D, there will be folks using both races for PCs--after all, it is an open source system, right?

Templetroll

Explorer
Nonlethal Force said:
But Halflings? Sure, people play the halfling paladin as a joke. But tell me you don't immediately associate halfling with rogue.

I've played a halfling Druid, which was fantastic. It so fit the bucolic ideal. The abilities so fit the hobbit paradigm.

I've played a halfling Fighter - he was one of three brother halflings, the other two were a druid and a rogue. The character was stupid and thought he was a cavalier. That was a blast.

I played a halfling cleric of Yondalla - TPK made it less ideal as a memory but she was a cool character anyway.

I played one human Illisionist. He ended up as the putative Intelligence in a Wand of Wonder. That was pretty cool. Every other Illisionist I played was a gnome and it is a thing of gold... plate.... tarnished, but loads of fun.

I did play a gnome bard/paladin of the gnome god of the dead. that was interesting but it kept him being a pretty somber dude for a gnome.

Short rawks!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
pawsplay said:
The modern incarnation of the gnome seems to be ripped from The Neverending Story. The New Halfling is kender-lite, wandering into dangerously un-PC gypsy stereotype territory.
If WotC had a copy of World of Darkness: Gypsy, things could be much, much worse.

Remove ads