Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
How bout divine abilities that allow the actual creation of life and matter. Maybe some that allow for manipulation of the elements. Like earth mastery ect. And transformative divine abilities that allow less powerful divinities to permanently expend quintessence to evolve temporarily into more powerful divinities...essentially risking their very existance in last ditch efforts to survive. Like Immortals that can transform into Sidereals for one round per divine rank or something at the permanent expense of quintessence. You should add transformative divine abilities like that so mortals will be even less prone to take down deities and battles between deities could be more dangerous for them.

I kinda like the idea of deities expending massive ammounts of power and then winking out of existance if they expend too much. Such things are told of in a few mythologies.

Last edited:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:

Hiya matey!

Totally shattered tonight guys, so really don't be expecting a lot from update 0.8.

On the plus side the Bestiary cover is 90% finished (I'll have it done tomorrow). I had to buy some gold paint for it today...£3.55 for a tube of gold acrylic paint (thats about $6.75 to you yanks) its a 75ml tube...that was the smallest they had, to put that into perspective I have been using the same 22ml paints for ten years now and none of them are more than 10% expended! So expect to see a lot of gold in future paintings. :D

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Boredom + Free time = This:
I decided I would do an ad-hoc review of the cosmic abilities listed briefly in Ascension. Perhaps it will help with the editing process. (This is such a huge project, no wonder it takes so long. I see new cool stuff each time I look at it)
Most of this is based purly on the descriptions of the powers, their name, and your thematic basis in Ascesion and the Bestiary. In the event I am grossly wrong about something, Oh well, the next update will work all those things out, I hope. :)
Oh, one thing I hope works out - I hope there are plenty of Stackable Epic/Divine/Cosmic powers for all your crazy-deadly dragons to take. :)

You know, the problem with using my numbering system before the abilities are finished means that when the list/numbering changes (pretty much every other day for me) I don't have a clue what abilities you are talking about. :confused:

For the sake of brevity I could assume you love them all, except the ones you post about...which you could then list by name. :\

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Oh I thought you might like to know - Made my first NPC for my Homebrew lowmagic setting with Ascension - An ancient Evil Mummy lord named Malignus.

Cool name.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
(Cleric 20, Quasi-deity, deludes adventurers into thinking he's a demilich, reverse metagaming:)) ECL 37, CR 31. (Hes a little short on magic items... only one hes got is a Scarab of Wisdom :))

Cleric 20 + Quasi-deity Template = ECL 40 with full equipment = CR 26

Without ANY equipment it would be ECL 26 = CR 17

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Divine powers: Learned Spell Immunity :), Nescient, Apocrypha, and took some extra feats.
I'd say he worked out really nicely. Fills a good niche - The ultra-deadly niche :)

What CR are you aiming for here?

ECL 37 is not CR 31

Eversius

First Post
GRAGH

Krusty! What are we missing out on this update?! :mad:

Get your butt in gear and get as much done as possible for tonight! :\

U_K!
My math was prolly a bit off. Mummified template (Savage Species) Hurls the ECL up by 5, CR by 2 (WotC math for ya, didnt know what your system uses, but it looked about right)
Had only 1 real magic item, Scarab of wisdom +10, so I wasn't sure what that did to ECL and CR, so I may have tweaked the numbers a small bit.
In all, since it's a low magic setting, anything with a CR greater than 20 may as well be 100. All of them would require quite a bit of research and planning to defeat, along with knowing their weakness(es). Since magic items (but not spellcasters) are as rare and as powerful as artifacts in most cases, it takes a bit of effort to even kill the lowliest of Demon or Devil, and dragon slaying is near-impossible. (You better be some hero, cause that damage reduction and AC means you ain't doin diddly without some super-uber sword)
But yea, I think your CR estimate is more accurate. (Low HP)
EDIT: Yea, I forget you add and swap powers around, so your numbered list changes. In the future, If one specific power needs addressing Ill just do it. The numbering saves my fingers from typing 100 names.
Oh, glad you liked the name :) I had used it in a starwars d20 game (Darth Malignus just sounds right) but decided it would work nicely for A Mummy Lord, who appropriatly, is a stain apon the earth. As for the niche I was aiming for - No perticular CR, but something less than 40. I needed a villain, an ancient force to keep the world in check should the forces of good start pushing their luck. My setting is kinda grim, think dark ages europe, add magic, and make most of the nobles greedy and evil. I strive to keep the CR curve just that - A quadratic curve, so there are many many thing with a CR < 5, but few with CR > 10. (Suits low level play, and with the lack of uber magic items, those CR 5 guys stick arround as major dangers until 15th or so level :))
EDIT Part II: The Mummy btw, is for a far away land, that i was working on fleshing out.

Last edited:

Hiya mate! :)

Eversius said:
GRAGH

Krusty! What are we missing out on this update?! :mad:

Get your butt in gear and get as much done as possible for tonight! :\

I just updated.

WORD OF WARNING! There are virtually no changes of note to this update except the Epic Feat Table. Divine Ability table, Cosmic Ability Table and added Transcendental Ability Table.

Eversius

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hiya mate! :)

I just updated.

WORD OF WARNING! There are virtually no changes of note to this update except the Epic Feat Table. Divine Ability table, Cosmic Ability Table and added Transcendental Ability Table.
Why so little changes?

Eversius said:
Why so little changes?

Simply because I cannot change the laws of physics. If I work 8-10 hours a day on the painting and then 2+ hours on the message boards/emails etc. then I don't have much time for updates. I still need to eat and sleep. I don't possess the Insomnious and Inedia epic feats. :\

Last week I took about 2-3 days off doing the cover and bust my hump to make 0.7 worthwhile, when really the thing to do is not divide my time but get the Cover finished as quickly as possible and THEN concentrate on Ascension.

Upper_Krust said:
Simply because I cannot change the laws of physics. If I work 8-10 hours a day on the painting and then 2+ hours on the message boards/emails etc. then I don't have much time for updates. I still need to eat and sleep. I don't possess the Insomnious and Inedia epic feats. :\

Last week I took about 2-3 days off doing the cover and bust my hump to make 0.7 worthwhile, when really the thing to do is not divide my time but get the Cover finished as quickly as possible and THEN concentrate on Ascension.
True, it is for the best, I guess.
Awesome job on the transcendant abilities. My mind is beyond blown. Invincibility + Transendental Fortitude sounds like a killer, and I think Math-wise, it is better than Infinite Constitution. (Magic item wise, it is a +32 more than Infinite con alone, but since most beings will never get this, I dont see it as a problem)
All of them seem fine for their power rating (Writups withstanding, any limits on the take-your -foes-powers type abilities? That may be the only thing that is "too strong")
Oh, did you decide on a CR/ECL multiplyer for the Transcendant+ abilities? I think it was left at X2/X10, which sound about right after seeing some of them :)

Phantom Llama

First Post
Hmm. Bad news on the volume front. Hopefully this won't end up degenerating into Beta Version 0.995.

Onto the book itself:
Digestio + Transgenic + Transmortality = win-win situation.
Does Invincibility + Transilient Fortitude do what it looks like it does?
Is the Helioedes template just an even more epic version of the Pseudonatural template?

Phantom Llama said:
... Does Invincibility + Transilient Fortitude do what it looks like it does?
Is the Helioedes template just an even more epic version of the Pseudonatural template?
I thought that about Invincibility too. We shall see.
I guess the Helioedes is the Azathoth template :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads