Character Sheets-Landscape or Portrait?

Jraynack

Explorer
Hey all,

I recently downloaded the free 32-page Ptolus player's guide and I noticed that the character sheet in the back was in a landscape format rather than the typical portrait format which we are all familiar.

We are developing some character sheets for the Feudal Lord Campaign Book (which the cover is complete) and wanted everyone's opinion.

On the immediate analysis, I find that landscapes maybe more useful at the play table, especially with the limited room (books, minatures, tile maps, 3d buildings, and so forth). It is hard for a full length character sheet to fit properly when on a limited play area.

Anyway, give us your thoughts.

Jeremehovah

First Post
I have mixed feelings about portrait vs. landscape formats. They both have their pros and cons. As for space at the table, I usually put my character sheets in a notebook with plastic sheet protectors. I look up things on a character more often than I update anything, and I print out a new sheet every few sessions (I make my characters on an excel spreadsheet, or in the case of GURPS, a program just for that game system).

What it really comes down to is layout. There are things that fit better on a character sheet in landscape than they do in portrait. I used landscape to very good effect when I played in a 3e version of the Dark Sun world. It also worked quite well for the d20 Star Wars game that I played in. Alternately, before I had the GURPS character program, I used a spreadsheet for that and I preferred the portrait format.

I would suggest that you play with both and think of why you prefer one over the other. Or better yet, if you go to the effort to try both, why not offer both?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I really do not care for landscape type character sheets. I prefer to use portrait types. I am a bit of a connoisseur of character sheets, and I can tell you that all my faves use the portrait type.

The Levitator

First Post
I use DM Genie and my biggest hope and dream is that it will be easy to use the Feudal Lords CS with DM Genie. I know that designing a character sheet won't be too hard, although I'm assuming it will be easier to port over to DM Genie if it's in portrait mode.

So far, most of what I've seen in the Feudal Lords world will be pretty easy to implement into DM Genie. Things like feats, skills, classes, races, and items are very easily created. I'm hoping to finally find a CS that will work well with DM Genie. I was very hopeful about Iron Heroes, but I found too many aspects of it were beyond my capabilities for porting to DM Genie. Most notably was the magic system and the token system.

Since there isn't a whole lot out there yet, is this going to be just a campaign setting that can be used with any D20 game, or will it basically be another game system like Iron Heroes? I'm mostly interested in just finding a fleshed out, low magic, somewhat realistic world that I can pretty much import right into my DM Genie campaign.

Jraynack

Explorer
The Levitator said:
Since there isn't a whole lot out there yet, is this going to be just a campaign setting that can be used with any D20 game, or will it basically be another game system like Iron Heroes? I'm mostly interested in just finding a fleshed out, low magic, somewhat realistic world that I can pretty much import right into my DM Genie campaign.

It is totally compatible as a basic d20 campaign. The only major changes is to the cleric class. However, we added some significant additions - the first of which is action points followed by Heraldry and Piety bonuses and to a lesser extent Alliegiances. That being said, these are only slight variations of the d20 Modern system. I am not familiar with DM Genie, but if it can handle the reputation, action points, and alliegiances from the Modern d20 system, then it should be fine.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases