Immortals Handbook - Grimoire (Artifacts, Epic Magic discussion)

Hey Akira,

there are a couple metamagic feats, automatic metamagic capacity, metamagic freedom, spell amplification
thats about it for metamagic

True but I think all the basics were already covered by the original Metamagic Feats in the PHB. So once you have Automatic Metamagic Capacity you can simply stack on the others.

Akira Whitlock

Explorer
After doing a little math i feel stacking metamagic gets out of hand after a while
Going by what you stated a while back for having two empowers equal x2 for a +4 levels
A deity with 200 HD would not be able to survive a spell casted by another deity with 200hd
Quick math, level 10 fireball + 44 empowers(22 doubles) = level 98 spell
(20 x (2 ^ 22)) = 41 million d6 = 146 million(average 3.5)
I feel i am doing math very wrong or it is simply broken.
a deity with 200 hd would have approximately 200k hp
even if all dice rolled were ones it would still not survive

After doing a little math i feel stacking metamagic gets out of hand after a while
Going by what you stated a while back for having two empowers equal x2 for a +4 levels
A deity with 200 HD would not be able to survive a spell casted by another deity with 200hd
Quick math, level 10 fireball + 44 empowers(22 doubles) = level 98 spell
(20 x (2 ^ 22)) = 41 million d6 = 146 million(average 3.5)
I feel i am doing math very wrong or it is simply broken.
a deity with 200 hd would have approximately 200k hp
even if all dice rolled were ones it would still not survive

Yes you are doing the math wrong (if I remember correctly).

Two empowers would equal x2, four = x3, six = x4, eight = x5.

You seem to be multiplying them by each other:

2, 4, 8, 16 etc

when its more like

2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

Empowers do not multiply each other. They simply stack, THEN you apply the multiplier.

E-1000

Explorer
Hey all! :)

Okay, here is a partial (epic) spell list for the Grimoire.

At the moment I probably have 100+ spells, but about a third of those are simply existing spells upscaled, so I won't be counting those against my eventual 100 spell goal.

Here are a few:

Alter Ego
Astral Death
Deus Ex Machina
Excommunicate
Overkill (which I think someone here suggested a few years ago)
Thrice Holy

then you have your natural disasters...

Earthquake (Higher Richter scale variants)
Hurricane
Ice Age
Mega-Lightning
Meteor
Volcano

then you have progressions of existing spells...

Prismatic Aurora
Vorpal Bladebarrier
Labyrinth (Mass Maze)
Pandemonium (Mass Insanity)
Apostle (Chain Charm)
Exodus (Chain Fear)

the mad stuff...

Million Murderous Swords
Twice Void

...in fact is that 20 already - I guess I must have more than 100 spells then, because that didn't make a dent in my list. I didn't even get a chance to outline some of the Portfolio based spells or even the new damage based spells. I guess those can wait for another time. :cool:

In the meantime if you have any epic spells of your own, or simply (one line) epic spell ideas feel free to post them here. :)
If you don't mind me asking, what were your plans for the effects of these?

Howdy E-1000 amigo! :)

If you don't mind me asking, what were your plans for the effects of these?

I suspect it would take a whole chapter of a new book to explain the above spells...luckily I have one in the pipeline (if the idiot in charge ever manages to finish it).

I think about half of the above spells are fairly self-explanatory though.

Should have a good few epic spells in the new "Player's Guide" book. The new spell templates can mimic the original Level 10, Level 11 (Volcano), Level 12 (Karsus' Avatar) type spellcasting from the 2nd Ed. days, but still have the flexibility (albeit far simpler) of the 3E Epic Spellcasting system.

Obviously my spells go way past 12th level spells as you might expect.

Hey there Serienna! :)

That sounds a bit early for my magic book to be honest. :eek:

I think Alzrius already answered this (cheers mate). In effect Unlimited Wish is just that...Unlimited. Hypothetically its use may well create a completely new parallel universe (with whatever changes you desire).

Essentially it falls into the same category as Infinite Strength (Omnific Abilities) in that it needs to be countered with a similar or opposing force. So the only way to defend an Unlimited Wish would be another unlimited wish.

As for the level of casting I think in and around Time Lord level power so I am a bit behind on what that would mean in terms of Spell Level or Epic Spell DC although I am sure I have listed comparable effects in Ascension at some juncture.

Obviously with the Ritual Magic I (had) planned that would have been possible at much less than Time Lord power.
Well now, Serienna was one of my other accounts I lost credentials for. [Not evading a ban, I simply forgot my account details or lost email addresses along the years].

So I suppose since its been more than another ten years, I'll just check if we're still on track for a 2040 release of your magic book! Still patiently waiting to see the magic you've been cooking up through the epochs ;)

Hey there Serienna Veritasinpersonam! :)

Well now, Serienna was one of my other accounts I lost credentials for. [Not evading a ban, I simply forgot my account details or lost email addresses along the years].

I forget my own name half the time.

So I suppose since its been more than another ten years, I'll just check if we're still on track for a 2040 release of your magic book!

Never can tell with me. I like to keep you guys on your toes. 🦶

In fairness I did go on hiatus for 8 years so I am probably only ten years late with these books.

Still patiently waiting to see the magic you've been cooking up through the epochs ;)

Should be a lot better than what I was going to do previously, definitely a good bit simpler and more accessible.

I find out within a month my exact leaving date for work (likely July). So I don't expect to have either of these first two books: "Player's Guide" (which includes the artifact chapter and the epic magic chapter) and "Epic Bestiary" finished until some time after that; though I might be fairly close on at least one.

Remove ads