Any mac utilities?

Raging Epistaxis

First Post
Does anyone know of any D&D utilities that preferably would work in Mac OS X or Mac OS 9?
Have you checked out the electronic aids area here at EnWorld? There are mostly Excel utilities, but several Java programs and a few Mac apps.

Off the top of my head I know of a couple:
CrystalBall 3e for Mac is available for OS 9 or OS X
PCGen (Java) runs under OS X, I haven't been able to run it under OS9 but I won't say it can't.

There are probably more available, but these two spring immediately to mind. Is there any specific type of utility you are looking for?

If you have VirtualPC and a relatively fast mac (My G3 500 powerbook works ok) you can run just about any of the PC utilities available if you are patient.

Last edited:

zhouj

First Post
re: thanks

I've downloaded CrystalBall for OS X but it seems to not account for magic weapons and items that improve stats. I'm probably sticking to paper and non-virtual dice until the next version of CrystalBall comes out.

The best mac gaming utility you can buy for the mac is called...

(drumroll)

Virtual PC. Assuming you can get it to print, you can use most any gaming program with it. I've used openrpg, the master tools demo, webrpg, pcgen with it and it works well, especially if you've got a fast machine.

-F

zhouj

First Post
VPC

First, I ABSOLUTELY hate PC's and Windows. Windows 98 was a pain and XP has way too many ads and Big Brother features. I will not also dish out $200 for a OS far inferior to OS X and I definitely not try to run an emulator on a 233 G3 with 160 MB of RAM.

Raging Epistaxis

First Post
not try to run an emulator on a 233 G3 with 160 MB of RAM.
Not that I am trying to change your mind - personally, I'd gladly never have to use windows again - but, I do occasionally run VPC 3 on my lime iMac - 233 G3 with 96MB -so it can be done. OK it's slow, but hey, it works for WoTC's Char Gen and RolePlayingMaster at least. :) I bet it would work for others as well, I just haven't tried.
Having said that, I would love to see more robust utilities for Mac gamers.

I talked to CrystalBall's author and came up with some ideas for implementing tracking of magic item bonuses like you mentioned in your earlier post, but priority for this next release is printing. {and it will be cool!}

Anyone else working on RPG utilities for Mac?

Last edited:

Remove ads