Want to try the Kobold

Demoquin

First Post
At work right now and was wondering if you have the kobold's stats on hand? ANy interesting thoughts on class tips for this weak char?

Starglim

Explorer
Here it is:
SRD said:
KOBOLD CHARACTERS
Kobold characters possess the following racial traits.
— –4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Constitution.
—Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
—A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet.
—Darkvision out to 60 feet.
—Racial Skills: A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
—Racial Feats: A kobold character gains feats according to its character class.
— +1 natural armor bonus.
—Special Qualities (see above): Light sensitivity.
—Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon.
—Favored Class: Sorcerer.
—Level adjustment +0.

Rogue would be an obvious choice.

My advice is to talk your DM into forgeting the -2 Con penalty. The race was perfect as an LA+0 in 3.0 when they had a 1/2 HD, but when they changed fractional HD to Con penalties in 3.5, kobolds got the shaft.

Kobolds make great casters. Small size with Natural Armor is a great head start on the AC. As a sorcerer, they not only synergize well but have great RP possibilities with Draconic aspect of the race. The Draconic Heritage feats in Complete Arcane are a good source for inspiration.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Don't forget to look at the Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement. It adds a couple more things to bring the Kobold up to a +0 ECL equivelant race.

Jack

kjenks

First Post
I vote for a kobold sorcerer. The small size and dex bonus give you attack bonuses on ray and orb spells. The Guided Shot spell (SpC) is great for a sorcerer. A tiny viper familiar would give a nice +3 bonus on Bluff, and with Bluff as a class skill and a high charisma, you'd be great at telling lies. But because of the the MM Errata change to the tiny viper's Weapon Finesse feat, don't expect it to bite anybody unless you share a True Strike with it.

A rogue/sorcerer/arcane trickster would also be fun.

FalcWP

Explorer
Oh, do something interesting. Like a Kobold Paladin.

Elite Array:

Str: 11
Dex: 15
Con: 10
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 14

28 Point Buy:

Str: 12
Dex: 16
Con: 10
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 14

Pick up weapon finesse, maybe a couple levels of Rogue to toss in sneak attack, or maybe Sorcerer for the spells. If you can get the Con penalty dropped or something, all the better.

Demoquin

First Post
Thank you for all the replies. I have decided to do a Scout/Ranger Kobold starting at lvl 7. Either 4/3 or 3/4 havent decided yet.

Few questions

Is there a finesseable spear? or other reach weapon?

With a BAB of 6 how would you calculate his Full attack with claw/claw/bite and then using a two handed or one handed weapon.

Is there a guide out there for natural traps? Paying an arm and a leg for one trap is obsurd. Things like snares, trip wires and such. How would one implemrnt something like that.

Essential gear? I need to stay with in a light load for most of my abilities. So everything he carries has to be important. Lighter the better. Mithral Chain shirt looks pretty good to start off in as it is already pretty light and take half of that for a small char.

If there is a magical armor that i encounter, does it resize to my form? Or do i need to pay for a tailor to do so.

Favorable weapons i think that might be important are Bolas, Maybe a shortbow or some other ranged weapon, hopefully a finessable reach weapon, dagger.
Whatever ranged weapon i choose, i am going to take an appropiate skill to craft ammo for it. Like bowcraft or maybe jsut use search skill for stones for a sling. That will also keep the weight manageable.

Ill think of more when they arise. thanks

Thanee

First Post
Demoquin said:
Is there a finesseable spear? or other reach weapon?

Spiked Chain :p

With a BAB of 6 how would you calculate his Full attack with claw/claw/bite and then using a two handed or one handed weapon.

Natural attacks do not gain extra attacks from high BAB, so it would just be claw/claw/bite. Of course, kobolds don't have any natural weapons, so it isn't really an issue.

Your BAB with a weapon is simply +6/+1 as normal. :)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases