[DragonWing Games] Darkwalkers: The Evil Within

Ghostwind

First Post
Darkwalkers_cover.jpg

Available at EN World Gamestore and Edge.RPGnow.com

Darkwalkers: The Evil Within
“Evil. It is refreshingly delicious and fun. There is a certain adrenaline rush that surges through my veins whenever I vanquish an adventurer or paladin that has had the audacity to challenge me or invade my home. Nothing is more satisfying than dashing the hopes and beliefs of a holy cleric when he finds out that his god doesn’t really care about him or to see the look of surprise on the face of a rogue as I catch him unaware and deliver a mortal blow.

Being evil means you command the respect of others. They may hate you, fear you, vilify you, and even dare to oppose you, but they will acknowledge the power you wield and the control you exert. With a simple wave of my hand or nod of my head, I condemn a person to a lifetime of torture or a quick death, depending upon my mood. I can enslave anyone upon a whim or allow him to just pass beneath my notice. Even fiends and infernal creatures seek me out to form pacts and agreements that will benefit both parties. Through careful manipulations I have caused wars between kingdoms and then rode in with my armies in the aftermath to claim rule. Being evil means you strive for a single ultimate goal; absolute power.

Absolute power means none can oppose you. All you desire is within your grasp. Those foolish enough to oppose you or stand between your goals are destroyed as an example to all others who harbor such rebellious thoughts. Power is everything. It is what drives your very soul.”

-- Shi’Kahr Darkstarr, Lord of Tonaga

Welcome to Gothos and the realms of the DarkWalkers. In this book you will explore new rules and options available for actively playing characters who are evil at heart. Darkwalkers: The Evil Within contains new player character core classes, races, prestige classes, feats, magic items, and spells, all with a decidedly evil slant.

Designed for the Hunt: Rise of Evil campaign setting created by Mystic Eye Games, Darkwalkers: The Evil Within is suitable for use in any fantasy campaign world. So explore the secret societies, dark deities, infernal pacts, new templates, and minions that will aid you in your quest for power and dominance. Join the Hunt and eliminate the Children of the Waking Dream.

Being good may be the right and honorable thing to do, but evil is more fun...

Darkwalkers is a 123-page pdf that is fully bookmarked, hyperlinked, and takes advantage of Adobe's features to facilitate use of this book at the gaming table. The Table of Contents is also completely linked and is as detailed as a standard index. Darkwalkers: The Evil Within retails for $9.99.

This product requires the use of the Dungeons & Dragons® Player’s Handbook Revised, published by Wizards of the Coast®

Voadam

Legend
What are the core class concepts?

Evil paladin counterpart?

Assassin?

Necromancer type full class?

Demonologist?

Divine caster different from cleric (no commanding undead but something different perhaps?)

Ghostwind

First Post
Voadam said:
What are the core class concepts?
Outside of the core PHB and Hunt: Rise of Evil core classes, there is:
- Hunter of the Child - A highly specialized class, one that is devoted to the single goal of hunting and killing good aligned creatures, which includes any and all Children of the Waking Dream. He specializes in combat and stalks his prey carefully only to strike quickly and decisively, often ending a fight before it has begun. The hunter attacks from ambush, trailing his target and patiently waits for that one perfect moment to unleash his assault.

- Magician - An evil aligned medicine man (or shaman) who has bonded with a spirit to gain mystical powers. Unlike the traditional shaman, a magician uses the spirits to gain advantages over others and to extract vengeance upon those who anger him. A magician doesn’t just communicate with spirits, he commands them and considers himself to be superior by right of mystic power. He derives his power directly from the spirit world and wields it with malice in order to please the evil spirits he associates with.

- Unholy Warrior (originally from Green Ronin) - the servants of absolute evil. Their servitude and devotion to a dark power or deity gives them the ability to cast divine spells by channeling foul energies. They are offensive powerhouses who employ weapons and armor that instill fear in their foes and spread the chill hand of dread among the good. Unholy warriors thrive on the chaos and revel in the destruction their presence causes. As they prove their loyalty to their patron and advance in levels, they gain additional supernatural abilities that bolster the evil they are capable of invoking.

- Warlock - chaotic evil witches that exist in Gothos. They are both feared and hated by their good-aligned sisters, the white witches, and reviled by most everyone else who does not have a direct interest in the affairs of evil. Warlocks gain their magical powers through worship of the Outcast gods, from pacts with demons and other fiendish creatures, or by draining it directly from the natural magical energy that flows through all living things.

Evil paladin counterpart?
See the unholy warrior above.

Assassin?
No direct assassin classes, but there are a few prestige classes that have an assassin feel to them, such as the Angel Hunter, Beguiler, and Slayer.

Necromancer type full class?
No full core Necromancer classes. The closest would be the shaman-esque magician.

Demonologist?
Fiend Summoner - a spellcaster who specializes in the summoning and control of fiendish denizens, such as demons and devils. Typically residing on the outskirts of civilization, these practitioners of the darker arts of magic may be found conversing with the foul beings that serve them, deeply studying ancient tomes, and venturing into the realms of population centers only when they require goods that cannot be gained through other means.

Divine caster different from cleric (no commanding undead but something different perhaps?)
We used the piety system from The Pantheon and Pagan Faiths and tweaked it for evil means. Depending on their behavior, characters gain or lose points. When a character has positive favor, he can use the points to evoke the power of the god for personal use.

Voadam

Legend
Very cool, thanks for the info.

Ghostwind said:
- Unholy Warrior (originally from Green Ronin) - the servants of absolute evil. Their servitude and devotion to a dark power or deity gives them the ability to cast divine spells by channeling foul energies. They are offensive powerhouses who employ weapons and armor that instill fear in their foes and spread the chill hand of dread among the good. Unholy warriors thrive on the chaos and revel in the destruction their presence causes. As they prove their loyalty to their patron and advance in levels, they gain additional supernatural abilities that bolster the evil they are capable of invoking.

I've got GR's Book of Fiends which includes UWs, does this expand on them any beyond that? Different pseudo domain power paths for them?

Ghostwind

First Post
There are some differences. It's largely the same except for some changes to better fit the Gothos setting. To be honest, it's been so long since I wrote that section I'd need to grab both books and look to see the differences again. :)

Kor

First Post
Unholy Warrior

I am just wondering if you have altered the Unholy Warrior as it was presented in Green Ronin's sourcebook? My biggest pet peave about that class, is the Gift of Darkness ability. Without providing a list of specific Gifts, it always seemed like an uncompleted class to me. What I and my DM feel would be appropriate powers for this ability could be two seperate matters -- I have never felt that I should have to negotiate with my DM as to what all of my character's powers should be.

Is there any chance you "completed" this class by listing some Gifts of Darkness?

Remove ads