It appears that Star Trek has learnt from Star Wars

Berandor

lunatic
Looks good, but still: why? I simply don't agree with these people who keep updating substantive parts of older entertainment. It's like taking Rocky IV and changing Drako to a Chinese boxer because there's no Cold War anymore. Star Trek is what it is, and it was made with the effects that were technically and financially available back then.

but I guess if you can't come up with a decent idea for a new series or feature, re-selling the old one is always lucrative. Next there'll be Superman with modern flying effects, and Big Trouble in Little China will feature Matrix wire-fu.

Aaron L

Hero
Rogue765 said:
I wonder if they'll digital edit Chekov into the episode Space Seed? :)

That would actually be pretty cool, I think :) Just a quick shot of him establishing him on the Enterptise. They also need to insert the DS9 crew into the Trouble with Tribbles. They already have most of the scenes done, all they have to do is clean them up and voila!

I actually look forward to this, and think its really cool. Its just polishing them up so they shine again.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Berandor said:
Looks good, but still: why? I simply don't agree with these people who keep updating substantive parts of older entertainment. It's like taking Rocky IV and changing Drako to a Chinese boxer because there's no Cold War anymore. Star Trek is what it is, and it was made with the effects that were technically and financially available back then.
Hey, it's their money. If repackaging Trek in new images and CG effects would help increase video sales, though it is a gamble, not for me to say they're going in the wrong direction, unless of course the CG effects are about 10-year-old awful (right about the time my friends and I started discussing if CG could makeover old special effects on Trek).

Granted, there will be those who will like the new CG, and those that stick to the original for nostalgic and artistic sake.

Berandor said:
but I guess if you can't come up with a decent idea for a new series or feature, re-selling the old one is always lucrative. Next there'll be Superman with modern flying effects, and Big Trouble in Little China will feature Matrix wire-fu.
I'm waiting for them to makeover Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space and The Day The Earth Stood Still. :p

Ranger REG

Explorer
Rogue765 said:
I wonder if they'll digital edit Chekov into the episode Space Seed? :)
Hopefully only briefly. Not that you need some actor standing in the scene for more than 3 minutes and "paste" Chekov's head on it. I'd like it when I have to play with the DVD player's pause button to find Chekov strolling through the corridors with other junior officers.

Ranger REG

Explorer
List of possible changes:

1. Replace TOS Zefram Cochrane (played by Glenn Corbett) with ST:FC Cochrane (James Cromwell, digitally restore his youth a la X-Men 3).

2. Less clothes on the Orion girls.

3. Replace 60's "beehive" hairdo with modern style. (e.g., Uhura with Beyonce's straight hair).

4. Digitally remove Kirk's love handle.

5. Speed up Kirk's pauses.

6. Clean up Klingon's faces, making them less Kabuki-style villains.

Vigilance

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Hey, it's their money. If repackaging Trek in new images and CG effects would help increase video sales, though it is a gamble, not for me to say they're going in the wrong direction, unless of course the CG effects are about 10-year-old awful (right about the time my friends and I started discussing if CG could makeover old special effects on Trek).

I notice that HDTV is mentioned in all of the press-releases for these FX updates.

I wonder if the special effects look worse on HD TVs and that is one motivation for this change?

Still, the primary reason (imo) is to promote the upcoming movie by JJ Abrams which will likely be a recasting of Kirk and Spock.

Chuck

Starman

Adventurer
I, for one, think that this is a waste of money. I don't mind watching older shows and seeing the effects that look bad by today's standards. It gives them a charm and shows that you don't need cutting edge CGI to tell a good story.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vigilance said:
I notice that HDTV is mentioned in all of the press-releases for these FX updates.

I wonder if the special effects look worse on HD TVs and that is one motivation for this change?
I honestly don't know. Don't own any one of the TOS episodes on DVD, so I can't be sure if they digitally remastered them, or was it a simple case of transfer from VHS or the master tapes.

Remove ads