What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

What should the default setting be for 4th edition?

mhensley

First Post
Should Greyhawk stay on as the default setting for D&D? Personally I would prefer that D&D be as world neutral as possible.

wayne62682

First Post
I agree and voted "no implied setting". However, I don't mind the current setup as is, where there is no real setting but to illustrate the gods and such they list a few of the Greyhawk deities.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I voted new based on the fact that I don't envision WotC actually doing anything with Greyhawk. If Greyhawk was going to get the Forgottem Realms treatment, I'd have voted for it instead.

shaylon

First Post
Saint_Meerkat said:
Greyhawk now, Greyhawk forever!

Actually, I expect 4.0 to be setting neutral, and I expect FR to be the only WotC campaign setting.

Interesting. What do you think will happen to Eberron? They seem to have invested quite a bit to just drop it.

I think the default setting should be SpellJammer, personally. That or Ravenloft. It would be different!

mhensley

First Post
Hjorimir said:
I voted new based on the fact that I don't envision WotC actually doing anything with Greyhawk.

Even without sourcebook support from wotc, I suggest that Greyhawk is actually in a new golden age of popularity. Look at all of the love that Dungeon gives it. FR and Eberron don't have 20 level mega-adventures published for them. Greyhawk does. Due to being the default setting of D&D, Dungeon has published more stuff for Greyhawk in the past few years than was probably ever published by TSR for it.

The Living Greyhawk campaign is also very successful. Much more so than the one for FR. I would have never expected that to happen.

But Erik Mona has hinted in his editorial columns in Dragon and Dungeon that there is a lot of resistence to the "G-word", as he put it, over at WotC. He wasn't able to use the word Greyhawk at all in the first path. I think some folks high up are just tired of it.

Eberron hasn't really captured anyone's imagination (except possibly mine), and I feel like the recent releases have been half-hearted attempts.

mhensley

First Post
Saint_Meerkat said:
But Erik Mona has hinted in his editorial columns in Dragon and Dungeon that there is a lot of resistence to the "G-word", as he put it, over at WotC. He wasn't able to use the word Greyhawk at all in the first path. I think some folks high up are just tired of it.

Hey Ken :D

I know that he has to make them as generic as possible, but the presence of the greyhawk gods and other bits makes them fit easily into greyhawk. Placing them into other worlds requires more work. And you know they were created with gh in mind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases