Ruins of the Dragonlord?

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Hiya,

It's been about a year since Mongoose released the "Complete Campaign" box set Ruins of the Dragonlord, but I haven't found any reviews of it here or at RPGnet. Has anyone read the module? If so, would you recommend it?

Thanks,

Shawn

Crothian

First Post
I read it and have it but never ran it. I? think it is good for a DM that want to do a little extra work and make it flow a bit better. I think it has a good core base but I'd want to expand the ideas it has before I would run it.

Arnwyn

First Post
I think Crothian is one of the only people who has admitted to even seeing this adventure.

This product is generally a complete mystery (and due to its apparent scarcity in any perusable format, will likely remain so).

Crothian

First Post
Arnwyn said:
I think Crothian is one of the only people who has admitted to even seeing this adventure.

This product is generally a complete mystery (and due to its apparent scarcity in any perusable format, will likely remain so).

From unconfirmed reports and rumors I heard less then 500 actually sold. And ya, the maps are not that good.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I have it, but have only skimmed it.

I think the maps are passable, but they probably won't win any awards. They are full-color, though, which is nice.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Crothian said:
From unconfirmed reports and rumors I heard less then 500 actually sold. And ya, the maps are not that good.

Wouldn't surprise me, but IMHO, it serves Mongoose right for not sending out any review copies of it (I think they used to send them to John Cooper here).

There have been a number of threads about this product here asking the same question (is it any good). ANd since no one knows, it's potentially cost Mongoose 100s, if not 1000s of sales. (Okay, maybe dozens)

kaomera

Explorer
I have a copy. My $0.02...

It's not bad, overall. I actually like the dungeon maps, except that I don't think they should have been double-sided. They're also old-school 1 square = 10', and there are sections that would be a PITA to lay out on a battlemat. Two such areas are laid out as 1" = 5', pre-made battle maps. Unfortunately they are opposite sides of one of the poster-sized inserts, while the other one is a poster of the box art backed by an ugly and fairly unhelpful local area map. The three books are pretty good, but I only really got into the crunchy adventure stuff. However, that still leaves most of the two 128-page books and a lot of the 64-pager pretty useful. Personally I'm less interested in the local background and would change details of the adventures out with no problem. As a strictly stand-alone product some of this stuff may be more useful.

catsclaw227

First Post
DaveMage said:
I have it, but have only skimmed it.

I think the maps are passable, but they probably won't win any awards. They are full-color, though, which is nice.

Ditto... but the two-sided nature of the maps is a bummer. Why do publishers do this?

Remove ads