Another Oriental Adventures?

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
For a time there was a 3rd Edition version of Oriental Adventures. However, Wizard of the Coast and Alderac Entertainment Group (owners and producers of Lot5R) ended their deal and OA is no longer available, except as older books that are out of print.

Why doesn’t some third-party publisher release its own take on Oriental Adventures? The rules presented by the WotC/Lot5R are all IP. However, that dies not mean someone else is prevented from developing new rules and systems, using historical Oriental cultures as inspiration.

What do you think? If the rules were sold and the mechanics good, would you buy and/or use the system? Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Nellisir

Hero
The Grumpy Celt said:
Why doesn’t some third-party publisher release its own take on Oriental Adventures? The rules presented by the WotC/Lot5R are all IP. However, that dies not mean someone else is prevented from developing new rules and systems, using historical Oriental cultures as inspiration.

What do you think? If the rules were sold and the mechanics good, would you buy and/or use the system? Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Actually, the Rokugan book(s) contain quite alot of OGC. AEG is pretty liberal and very clear with their OGC statement, up to and including the core Rokugan book. The only problem is a mention of Oriental Adventures in (I believe) the license. Honestly, I think you can pull that without a problem.

I'd absolutely buy a "generic" oriental/asian adventure book, particularly if it moved beyond Japan, was d20 compatible, and wasn't low fantasy.

carpedavid

First Post
I'll also point you to the Land of the Crane setting that I developed for the True20 system, and which is now available in the True20 Worlds of Adventure. It's a fantasy setting inspired by the folklore and mythology of feudal Japan.

Banshee16

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
Well, I was hoping for more China than Japan. Any other books out there?

You may be looking for one called...Dragonfist, I think? Green Ronin will be releasing it. Based on the myths of China, modern wuxia movies, etc.

The book has been delayed, again and again...but last I'd heard things were finally progressing....unfortunately, I can't seem to find it on their site anymore, so not sure what's going on.

Banshee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases