Troubling news

Magi_Trelian

First Post
If you've figured out a way to send baked goods through e-mail, sure!

*preps "detect poison" just in case :) *

Also, about the policy of not discussing the specifics of a ban or warning with anyone other than the person: the intent of this is to keep people from being harassed by other players when a warning has not resulted in a ban, or when a ban has been revoked, so that they come in without getting flack for it.

Unfortunately, if someone really doesn't understand why they were banned, they may give out the impression that they were banned for no or little reason. We can't correct that to anyone other than the actual person. If people are still confused, please try to phrase specific questions in general terms, without naming names. I know, that's very hard to do. :-(

You can also try re-reading the section of the CoC on banning where it explains relevant information such that you can't bring back a char that is a replacement a banned char. This also means others may suffer, because if for instance a character named "FreddytheFrog" is banned then we can't allow anyone, even another player, to make a char called "FrogFreddy". If the other person is really a different player, they won't get any warning or ban for doing so, but they do have to pick another char name.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
shistal said:
i cant believe they are actually doing this it boils me up to hear this.....those magi's need to straigten up soon or no one wouldnt want to be on isrp..magies if you read this STRAIGHTEN UP :D
May I suggest you read the Magi responses? We are not doing what we're accused of in the first post.

Drina

First Post
I would just like to say I think the Magi are doing an excellent job of things here. They are trying to make game play better for all of us. And if that means banning people who are breaking the rules and ruining the fun for the rest of us then it needs to be done.

I know at times it is hard to understand why a good friend might have gotten banned and you may not agree with it. but just sit back and try to look at the situation. Try to see if you might notice anything in the banned person's way of rping that may have caused it, or if they did anything that might have warrented the ban.

Yeah Banning sucks, but it's for a reason. I had a character banned many years ago back when the site was TSR still I believe, by Rexx for something another character did that broke the rules, who I had happened to be rping with, was my character warrented of being banned? maybe cause I didn't do anything to stop it the incident from occuring. But after the incident I spoke to Rexx over IMs about it and we both saw the error of things. I wasn't mad, I didn't go around saying ill things about Rexx, he did what he was suppose to do and I was just at the time naive about things on the site and the person I had been rping with, I found out from others it was some one who had other characters banned and been in trouble in the past. I learned my lesson well.

Now the only time a ban really stinks is when you share a network, with another player that is banned like when people are on DSL/Lan networks in the same house, apartment complex or colleges. I may be wrong (probably am) in this but I was once told that DSL lines into a house carry the same ISP address for all computers on it.

Tharivious

First Post
Off topic as this may be, I feel the need to say something about this:
Sangi said:
Now I realize there are rules to how you can act here, and what you can say, but from what I've been told, both by the original person that got banned, and the victums, yes I said victums, of the magi's decisions to banned these other people, I find it appualing that the magi have taken up a kind of witch hunt attitude about the banned person and anyone even mentioning them.
In the age of means of disguising one's IP address, individuals who go to all lengths to cause havoc on a site that actually has rules and limitations, and knowing the history of another case that had gone to the length of IP banning back on Wizards, this situation had to have earned such a reaction from the Magi. It isn't done lightly, even as a civilian I can assure you of this.

Without knowing the context, I can see points where 'mentioning' the banned character could warrant action. Advise them to take up their cases individually if there truthfully is a case of mistaken identity not involving their own actions. This 'witch hunt' attitude you insuate is pattently false. The Magi pursue those who earn punishments and refuse to play within the rules of the site. They do not go after innocents typing at the top of their wrists "Ban the witch!"

shistal said:
i cant believe they are actually doing this it boils me up to hear this.....those magi's need to straigten up soon or no one wouldnt want to be on isrp..magies if you read this STRAIGHTEN UP :D
This attitude troubles me. That individuals can be so willing to assume that those in authoritative positions are abusing their power without any hard proof in favor of such a viewpoint, while throwing that opinion in the face of valid proof that they have done no such thing... it doesn't sit well with me.

If you think that the Magi enjoy banning characters, you are incorrect. If you think that Magi enjoy issuing IP bans, you are incorrect. If you think that Magi enjoy being accused of underhanded backdooring of said bans, you are incorrect.

As Siani described, in great detail, it takes a lot more than a mistake or an accident to earn that sort of punishment. None of these things are done lightly, and the Magi certainly don't deserve to characterized as cold hearted dictators for showing as much leniency as they actually show.

Bhryn

First Post
How about a simpler solution?

...behave yourself and don't do things to get yourself thrown over Gabe's knee and spanked for. With Siani holding the spanking stick and Nash and Tre taking pictures for later, no doubt evil, uses.

Seems like a lot of people are just throwing a lot of things from proportion. Most of this seems to be speculated rumour-mongering (and no one likes a mongerer...) but really, if they'd read the CoC and spoken to the Magi about any issues surrounding the ban, then they don't have too much to really complain about. *shrugs*

The way I see it, we've been here a year. It's been incredibly stressful, not just for the players but especially for the Magi who have had to get used to new software as 'moderator' figureheads. We've come to a brand new roleplay site where countless other people who weren't perhaps Wiz frequenters are now taking notice of our chat rooms and trying to get settled too. Like Drina said, they're doing a fine and grand job and maybe this sort of witch hunt (as per Sangi said...) from us players isn't going to help anyone.

...so I think my point is; it's between the Magi and the people with bans, not us to howl and harp around them. Let them do their jobs.

B xxx

Xanto

First Post
Bhryn said:
How about a simpler solution?

...behave yourself and don't do things to get yourself thrown over Gabe's knee and spanked for. With Siani holding the spanking stick and Nash and Tre taking pictures for later, no doubt evil, uses.

Seems like a lot of people are just throwing a lot of things from proportion. Most of this seems to be speculated rumour-mongering (and no one likes a mongerer...) but really, if they'd read the CoC and spoken to the Magi about any issues surrounding the ban, then they don't have too much to really complain about. *shrugs*

The way I see it, we've been here a year. It's been incredibly stressful, not just for the players but especially for the Magi who have had to get used to new software as 'moderator' figureheads. We've come to a brand new roleplay site where countless other people who weren't perhaps Wiz frequenters are now taking notice of our chat rooms and trying to get settled too. Like Drina said, they're doing a fine and grand job and maybe this sort of witch hunt (as per Sangi said...) from us players isn't going to help anyone.

...so I think my point is; it's between the Magi and the people with bans, not us to howl and harp around them. Let them do their jobs.

B xxx

Couldn't agree more.

*wants baked goods, too!*

Anyway, I have to say that I agree with Bhrynnie and the others...even though I've probably come close to pushing it myself. (Which I'm trying to work on!)

Keep it clean, guys. There's no need in debating an iron clad decision...it's done. What the Magi say, goes. No amount of bitching is gonna change the answer.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Okay, guys, I've been asking around and there are some really bizarre rumours out there.

(1) The Magi banned 36 players at once.

We haven't banned even a dozen players since we've been on EN World! It's technically possible for 36 players to get banned at once, if for instance a dorm full of ISRPers were sharing the same IP address and one of them got IP-banned. But it's not that those people would have been banned, just that one player. We ban individuals, not groups, but there's no way around the shared-IP problem. It's also possible this got confused with 36 characters because many people play a great number of chars and if they're banned then all of the characters are forfeit.

(2) Someone got banned for arguing with the Magi on behalf of a friend.

No one gets banned, or even a warning, for arguing with the Magi! They would only get in trouble if it wasn't just arguing, but also refusing to comply with a Magi who's asking them to stick to the rules. If you think the Magi is out of line, obey them for now and send us an e-mail to protest. Also, no one gets warned or banned for bad-mouthing the Magi to others, either. But they could get a warning for telling other people to break the rules as a protest.

We ban for Code of Conduct violations: spamming, room violations, cybering, profanity, etc. Hells, we don't even usually ban for those, we give warnings. Only if someone has repeatedly broken serious rules, and after repeated warnings, do we ban the player.

(3) Someone got banned because the Magi thought it was a banned player.

This could happen. When a player is banned, they lose every character that can be identified as having been played by them. It doesn't matter that they've been sharing the characters with others. And they're not allowed to come back under any character name at all until the ban has been lifted. If we have good and concrete reasons to believe that a particular character is being used by a banned player, even it is also someone else's character, then that character could be forfeit. Moral of the story: Do Not Let Other People Play Your Characters.

But even then, it wouldn't be a ban or warning against the player themselves unless it was that they knowingly let a banned player back on site by letting them use a character or creating a new character for them. That's a no-no.

If people hear other rumours that they want to question, send an e-mail to ISRPmagi@gmail.com and we'll try to straighten things out, as long as we can do it without going into details on any particular person's warning or ban.

EDIT: to add e-mail info

Last edited:

Bhryn

First Post
...those are some odd rumours.

Incidentally, as per a query in earlier posts: I just made triple chocolate cookies. Not so much cookie as chocolate... really...

Xanto

First Post
Bhryn said:
...those are some odd rumours.

Incidentally, as per a query in earlier posts: I just made triple chocolate cookies. Not so much cookie as chocolate... really...

I shall be having some if you please...

Remove ads