Troubling news

Silver_Shulad

First Post
Second question - If a player has 5 characters, and say they bends the rules to stay 'in character' on one of these said five charcters (Yes I know the alignment of a character gives no validation to the breaking or bending of rules and will not be tolerated.) But the other four characters have never crossed the line, never broken a rule. Would it be difficult to only ban the Character Name of the offense, instead of all characters connected to that IP?

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Silver_Shulad said:
Second question - If a player has 5 characters, and say they bends the rules to stay 'in character' on one of these said five charcters (Yes I know the alignment of a character gives no validation to the breaking or bending of rules and will not be tolerated.) But the other four characters have never crossed the line, never broken a rule. Would it be difficult to only ban the Character Name of the offense, instead of all characters connected to that IP?
It wouldn't be difficult at all! It would be a helluva lot easier than searching down those other four characters and hoping there weren't ten more we didn't know about! But that's not the way we enforce it. If you read the Code of Conduct, the reason is given there. What would stop someone from making up a new disposable throw-away char every time they wanted to trash the rules? "Gee, that one got banned, but who cares because I still have the four other characters that really mean something to me" and they go on as if nothing happened. :-(

Silver_Shulad

First Post
Magi_Trelian said:
If a player has had at least three warnings and is given the initial ban, they lose all existing characters that are known to be played by them. It doesn't matter if they're on different IP addresses or if someone else was also playing those characters. However, the player is allowed to bring back totally new characters even if using any of the tracked IP addresses. Unfortunately, other people that might have played those characters also have to create new characters.

I guess here is also the same thing to me. Here you say that all their characters get banned, but they are free to make a new character. That is pretty much a trashing of characters, and making new one? ( I know they dont have others in reserve just seems a slightly more extreme way of looking at it ) I do understand this, but isn't that also just like a throw away character, and all they have to do is start up a new one? I could be confusing myself here.

:edited: Adding to this, I can see why the banning would be needed, if all I lost was one character, it would not be so bad. I understand. But I guess its just a softer version, and I read the CoC, and I can agree, and agree to disagree with it thought still abide. It was only a thought, and if its alot easier to do it that way, the maybe its alittle more worth it and easier on the people that donate their time to the sites upkeep, and in general keep the populous well more upbeat and happy. Situational curcimstances applying (sp)

Last edited:

Magi_Apolline

ISRP Moderator
What she meant by initial ban was:

When you get an initial ban you're banned from using the character(s) you made the offenses with. Your IP is not banned, but you are banned from using that character(s) ever again. That does not mean you're banned from the site entirely like you are when your IP is banned. You are still given the opportunity to correct your errors and continue to play on the site.

When you've had three warnings and an initial ban and continue to break the COC, that is when you're giving an IP ban. That means you're not allowed to come back to the site for a period of six months until the Magi review your ban.

Last edited:

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Silver_Shulad said:
I guess here is also the same thing to me. Here you say that all their characters get banned, but they are free to make a new character. That is pretty much a trashing of characters, and making new one? ( I know they dont have others in reserve just seems a slightly more extreme way of looking at it ) I do understand this, but isn't that also just like a throw away character, and all they have to do is start up a new one? I could be confusing myself here.
Okay, yes, I see the confusion.

The first level is warnings issued to a single character name (but player and IP address are recorded).

The next level is that after multiple warnings, the player loses all current characters. They are allowed back on site with new characters. Yes, maybe they only had one character before and they didn't care what happened to it, that's possible. But this is their last chance before the next level.

The final level is if they continue to get warnings on their characters, we issue an IP-ban on the player. This means they aren't allowed back on site in any character, or through any IP address. And that's what deals with people who don't seem to be able to obey the rules no matter how many warnings they're given.

Silver_Shulad

First Post
I believe I understood the steps, I just thought that, taking one character away was as simple or or easier then taking them all. And making them just rewrite another character.

How about this, Initial removal of character privlages, taking all the characters away that apply to said IP. One character of there was the one that made the offense that got them all deleted. But say the player has 4 other characters would he/she be able to remake the non-offending characters that were removed as remakes. Or are all of them considered the same as the character that continued to offend to get the characters removed? (Taking the thought that hopefully only the singal character was the one that got all of the warning.)

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Silver_Shulad said:
I believe I understood the steps, I just thought that, taking one character away was as simple or or easier then taking them all. And making them just rewrite another character.

How about this, Initial removal of character privlages, taking all the characters away that apply to said IP. One character of there was the one that made the offense that got them all deleted. But say the player has 4 other characters would he/she be able to remake the non-offending characters that were removed as remakes. Or are all of them considered the same as the character that continued to offend to get the characters removed? (Taking the thought that hopefully only the singal character was the one that got all of the warning.)
As I said before, yes, removing just the offending character would be easier. But it was decided that it wasn't the best way to bring home the lesson.

All of the characters known (or later known) to have been played at the time of the loss of characters, are removed and aren't allowed back in any form.

Remember, this only happens after multiple warnings. It's not getting caught up in one character's RPing one time, it's that the player is being careless of the rules multiple times whether with one char or several. So all of the player's characters get removed and he/she starts over from scratch.

Silver_Shulad

First Post
Could we please keep this thread on Topic as the Magi that opened it back up asked?

Its a serious topic and people just lose the point or meaning of the thread. When people start chiming in with nothing that has to do with it, its crappy because the people that want to know and the one that started it, well... im sure they did not want it, or have this intent.

On another note, I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions even if some were redundant

Last edited:

Remove ads