LA & Racial HD

Animal

First Post
most DMs here rule that if you take a monster race for your character, you should not only add LA, but Racial hit dice as well. like if you want to create a 5 lvl fighter and choose gnoll race you must not only add +1 for LA, but also +2 for gnoll's humanoid levels.
but i can not find where it is written in the rules that you should do that. maybe you could show me? i wouldn't ask, but there's a big difference between 4th lvl and 2nd lvl fighter.

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Does it REALLY hurt the game that much to just ignore the racial hit dice? I can't imagine it breaking the game to allow four levels of fighter, one LA for gnoll and just ignore the Racial HD completely.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Stone Dog said:
Does it REALLY hurt the game that much to just ignore the racial hit dice? I can't imagine it breaking the game to allow four levels of fighter, one LA for gnoll and just ignore the Racial HD completely.

LA and HD go hand in hand, dropping the HD can overpower the character depending on the creature in question. A creature with a bunch of abilities, but also a high HD would have a lower LA than a creature with those same abilities but no LA. It would be akin to giving a character all the abilities of a rogue 5 without the 5 hit dice in those instances.

Pyrex

First Post
Stone Dog said:

Let me rephrase that for you.

Would it really hurt the game to ignore the 6 racial HD of a Minotaur and let the character replace them with Ftr levels at the low, low, cost of +2 LA?

Yes, yes it would.

Sejs

First Post
Stone Dog said:

Gnolls.. not so big an issue. They're not exactly powerhouses to begin with. Rather nancy, actually.

Other races? Yes. Definitely could hurt the game.

frankthedm

First Post
Humaniod HD are pretty abysmal. and gnolls do not get much for thier LA.

Centaurs and minotaurs HD while not grand, have full BAB and good will and reflex saves along with immunuity to "Blank Person" type spells.

Honestly making gnolls monstrous humaniod and giving them a bite attack would roughly make them worth thier HD and LA. Otherwise dropping the HD would not be that unbalacing for a LA+1. Though this is from a perspective civilized folk will consider gnolls as evil as drow, but more carnivorus.

Strength +4, Constitution +2, Intelligence –2, Charisma –2.
Size Medium. Type humaniod
A gnoll’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A gnoll begins with two levels of humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +0, and Will +0.
Racial Skills: A gnoll’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 x (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Listen and Spot.

Racial Feats: A gnoll’s humanoid levels give it one feat.
+1 natural armor bonus.
Automatic Languages: Gnoll. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Orc.
Favored Class: Ranger.
Level adjustment +1.

Remove ads