Fantastic Locations: No Maps???

So I bought Hellspike Prison and Fields of Ruin and neither has an overall map in the booklet. The covers of the module have colour maps of the foldout maps that come with it, but there is no overall map of the entire adventure anywhere. What's the deal? This would be very helpful to get a sense of how all the locations fit together...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In many ways, the FL series aren't "complete" adventures. Instead, they're four maps with the encounters on each map, with ideas for linking them together.

In Fields of Ruin, the first map is on the road to the Keep. The second two maps fit together to form the Keep, and the fourth map is the dungeons below. (Access point marked in the text).

In Hellspike Prison, two of the maps fit together (actually, they work in one of two ways, but I use short end to short end, see the start area on the second map). The other two maps represent other locations in the underdark, IIRC.

It's generally assumed that your PCs navigate from map A to map B without trouble (through wilderness, connecting tunnels, etc.)

Cheers!

Sweaty the First

First Post
Fantastic Locations are really designed for skirmishers, so there's no real need for all the stuff in between. Skirmishers aren't interested in roleplaying the stuff between encounters, they just want to get down to the serious business of combat.

That's not to say that they aren't useful as D&D adventures. As MerricB says, you just need to connect them up yourself. There's lot of good stuff in them and the DM is far more free to use them in the way they wish, but it just requires a little work on their part.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
My son has managed to use all of them in his Warcraft RPG. He modifies the stories somewhat, to match the NPCs in his campaign, and modifies the encounters somewhat to match the EL and what the group might expect to find in Azeroth (or wherever they happen to be).

But, they're great products even without an overall map. Actually, I'm not sure that an overall map would even be helpful. I kind prefer it this way.

Dave

Zaukrie

New Publisher
As a skirmisher and roleplayer, we've gotten waaaaaay more use out of the maps in roleplaying than skirmishing. My kids use them all the time for short roleplaying encounters. I completely disagree that they are mainly for skirmishers.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
sweatyarmpits said:
Fantastic Locations are really designed for skirmishers, so there's no real need for all the stuff in between.

No true. They're designed to be used by both, just like the minis themselves.

Remove ads