Malvoisin's Savage Tide, Act 1 - There Is No Honor

Malvoisin

First Post
stonegod said:
OOC: That's be me doing the Knowledge thing. In general, unless the Knowledge looks quite obscure (or we are in combat), Col will just take 10 on these checks. Speeds things up. :)

[sblock=Col, Knowledge (Local) Check]
Col recognizes these adventurers by reputation, if not experience...the Jade Ravens. They are a mercenary company that have reportedly been in the employ of the Vanderboren family for several years.[/sblock]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
After scruitinizing the strangers for a moment, Col straightens up a bit and declares, "The Jade Ravens, eh? No surprise see'n ya here, being the Vanderboren's fingers as it were. Off to secure more mercantile interests, I take it? No matter, seeing you makes me think that the Vanderboren's prolly need us less for traipsing around an' monster fighting and more for somen' less over the table. Hrm." The old man begins rubbing his chin in thought.

Tonks

First Post
The Jade Ravens were unknown entities to Damash, but from the reaction the older man was giving them, they were apparently figures of importance to the Lady Vanderboren.

'If she has them on her retainer, what does she need with us?'

Malvoisin

First Post
Voadam said:
Kalen treats the man's comments about chores as a friendly joke and replies with a wry smile. "So you're the old Vanderboren gardner who is to be replaced then I take it? You mortals age so quickly, but I'd have thought you've got a few good years left in you yet. Tired yourself out lifting those big pruning shears you carry while wearing that metal shirt? The blackberry topiary is not truly so fearsome here is it? In any case, I thank you for the good wishes, though for the moment I'm here for the fine conversation. Tell me what chores need doing around here though, I would be most interested in hearing."
The leader of the mercenaries leans toward Kalen with narrowed eyes, as though trying to decide whether to be insulted. After a long moment of tension, he finally diffuses the situation with a sharp laugh. "Ha ha, well said my elven friend. Gardener, indeed!" The man's hand does appear to tighten on the hilt of his bastard sword, despite his apparent amusement. "I'm sure Lavinia will instruct you with all the details of your chore over dinner. I'd hate to spoil the excitement."

stonegod said:
After scruitinizing the strangers for a moment, Col straightens up a bit and declares, "The Jade Ravens, eh? No surprise see'n ya here, being the Vanderboren's fingers as it were. Off to secure more mercantile interests, I take it? No matter, seeing you makes me think that the Vanderboren's prolly need us less for traipsing around an' monster fighting and more for somen' less over the table. Hrm." The old man begins rubbing his chin in thought.
The leader of the Jade Ravens gives a quick glance at Col, perhaps surprised at being recognized. His lip curls in a slight sneer at the man's ragged appearance, then he says dismissively, "Yes, well, we haven't got time to stay and chat. We have important business to attend to in Cauldron. Let's go." With that, he strides away and the other members of the mercenary band fall in behind him. They depart the atrium without looking back.

Just as the Jade Ravens stalk out of the atrium, Kora comes in from another hallway and announces, "Dinner is served!"

The party follows the tiny halfling down the hall, and into a private dining room. The room is comfortable and cozy, and softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman wearing a long, flowing blue dress. She smiles as the characters enter, introducing herself. "Good evening! I am Lavinia Vanderboren. Welcome to my home, won't you please be seated? Dinner will be served momentarily."

(OOC: Go ahead and make introductions and small talk as you like.)

stonegod

Ignoring his dismissal by the Jade Ravens---Col has long gotten used to being ignored---the older man keeps a keen eye out they are lead towards the dining hall. Once there, is hawkish gaze takes in everything, looking for the hidden significance in every shadow. He sees the Lady look a bit askance when she sees him, though she hides it well, but he ignores that too. Instead, he takes a long look at the portrait of significance and then around the room again.

"Lady. Saw your right hand on the way out. I assume we are to be your left, eh? Heh, heh. Never you mind. Will yer brother be ajoinin' us, or this to be kept in the dark from him as well?"

GwydapLlew

First Post
Chongo had been following along silently, warily eyeing the estate and the - to his eyes - ostentatious displays of wealth. He was unsure of his purpose for being here, but seeing familiar faces eased his mind somewhat.

"Eat first, then talk?" He looks at the fine cutlery and delicate dinnerware, then uncomfortably around the room. Everything here was too nice by far for him to be at ease. "Col, what you mean by 'left hand'? It's bad luck to use left hand."

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
stonegod said:
Ignoring his dismissal by the Jade Ravens---Col has long gotten used to being ignored---the older man keeps a keen eye out they are lead towards the dining hall. Once there, is hawkish gaze takes in everything, looking for the hidden significance in every shadow. He sees the Lady look a bit askance when she sees him, though she hides it well, but he ignores that too. Instead, he takes a long look at the portrait of significance and then around the room again.

"Lady. Saw your right hand on the way out. I assume we are to be your left, eh? Heh, heh. Never you mind. Will yer brother be ajoinin' us, or this to be kept in the dark from him as well?"
Lavinia's eyes glance up and linger on the portrait briefly, then she answers simply, "No, Vanthus has left town."

stonegod

GwydapLlew said:
"Col, what you mean by 'left hand'? It's bad luck to use left hand."
The begraggled man looks at the tribesman appraisingly. "It is, ain't it? It is indeed. Being the sinister hand, the one hidden, the hand of secrets."
Malvoisin said:
Lavinia's eyes glance up and linger on the portrait briefly, then she answers simply, "No, Vanthus has left town."
Col nods, but does not reply. Instead, he sits, and looks at the spread before him. Not waiting for the others or additional permision, the old man beings to eat. Not sloppily, not refined, but mechanically as food was something needed, but not of interest to the fellow.

OOC: GwydapLlew, I changed Chongo's color to DarkOrchid as it reads better on a dark background (Indigo does not have enough luminance contrast).

GwydapLlew

First Post
OOC: GwydapLlew, I changed Chongo's color to DarkOrchid as it reads better on a dark background (Indigo does not have enough luminance contrast).

[sblock=OOC]That works better. I hadn't proofed the color - thanks![/sblock]

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Anar’s bright eyes give an appraising survey of the room as he enters. The man seems to fit nicely with the lavish surroundings, his fine clothing and gleaming jewelry giving the impression of wealth. At Lavinia’s words, he flashes a rakish smile and bows deeply. “M’lady, it is a pleasure to sup at your table. Truly, you do us great honor by inviting us into your home.” Not altogether a stranger to the forms of etiquette, Anar waits for the host to take her seat before himself taking a place at the table.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases