Symptoms of Lycanthropy?

Cheiromancer

Explorer
I need a few clues as to how to identify a lycanthrope (RPG - not real life). I know a bit about werewolves- their eyebrows typically meet in the middle, the third finger is unusually long, hair on the palms of the hands, etc..

What I need, though, is the identifying characteristics of a weretiger. Of course, if anyone knows of symptoms for other lycanthropes, that would be handy to have for future reference.

Thanks for the help :)

Sodalis

First Post
take the most prominent physical traits of teh animal form and make them less noticable...a little subtle.

weretiger- stature is more noble- stands straight up, large build, muscular.
eyes glow in the dark (or reflects candle light very well), very thin red hair all over the body (barely noticeable- kinda like orange fuzz), sharp, thick nails, largere than normal canines, an orange mustache, hair resembling mane (more of a lion), walks softly...

wereshark- same basic idea-
sleak appearance- fluid movement, powerful legs, arms always used for balancing, large, prominent jaw, sharp teeth, no body hair (bald head)...

the back of Monster of faerun have a couple descriptions of were tiger/shark/crocodile/ bat...
check it out
other templates also- really worth the investment.

Coik

First Post
Hmmm...are you talking as a player or as a DM here?

Anyway, a surefire sign of a D&D lycanthrope is that body parts begin showing up in unusual locations...your backpack, for instance.

Kesh

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
the third finger is unusually long

Actually, this one is supposed to be if your index and middle finger are the same length, so that would be the index finger is unusually long.

/me is a werewolf nut. :)

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Ah weretigers... I loved the Night Howlers module.

I can't add much to what Sodalis said, it's right on the money. Just take the prominent characteristics of the beast and apply it to the human form. Maybe a weretiger in human form has a thick nose along the bridge, so there isn't as much slope to it. Larger teeth is the classic give-away for any number of maladies, from lycanthropy to vampirism. Animals being frightened by the person's presence is a classic sign.

I'd also be suspicious of anyone who walks around saying, "They'rrrreee GRRrrreat!" ;)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Hairy palms?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I can't really expand on what Soladis said other than to say 'make sure you give lots of NPC descriptions' because if you don't describe NPCs and suddenly the players encounter a guy with animalistic attriubutes they're going to catch on.

Cheiromancer

Explorer
Thanks for the help. I'm the DM and the characters already know the NPC is a were-tiger; I just wanted to add some verisimilitude to my description.

I like the broad nose and the reflective eyes bit especially.

Regards,

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases