Bound in chains. can I cast a spell?

dema

First Post
Can you attempt to cast spells when you are helpless. My character was bound in chains and had no chance to escape at the time but wanted to attempt to cast a spell. Should I be allowed with a Concentration check DC 20?

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
If your hands were purposefully bound, you'll need to escape using Esape Artist first.

Somatic (S): A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand. You must have at least one hand free to provide a somatic component.

Or cast a spell without a somatic component. In either case, no Concentration check is needed.

MarkB

Legend
The only spells you could cast in such a situation would be verbal-only spells, as you cannot perform somatic gestures or access material components. You can cast a verbal-only spell without concentration checks in such a situation.

If you were gagged or otherwise silenced as well as bound, you would only be able to cast a spell that had no components at all, e.g. via the metamagic feats Still Spell and/or Silent Spell.

Festivus

First Post
But what about material components. If you are chained up can you reach your components? Of course, you could have taken Eschew Materials as all good mages do, right?

MarkB

Legend
Festivus said:
But what about material components. If you are chained up can you reach your components?
Only if the person who tied you up is extremely stupid and tied your hands right next to your spell component pouch. Even then, manipulating them will arguably vary from difficult to impossible.

Of course, you could have taken Eschew Materials as all good mages do, right?
Indeed. One of the better reasons for taking the feat.

someone in chains I'd let them cast somatic normally. Manacles on the other hand would prevent that. But this is all due with having a mental picture of being chained aka chained to the wall with 4 chains which would not prevent you from making precise gestures but just prevent you from physically moving more then x feet from the wall you are chained to. (And to properly scratch your back!)

Remove ads