Dead Man's Chest hits $1 Billion

Darth Shoju

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Dead Man's Chest became only the third movie in history to score a billion, and it's not even finished releasing in all markets yet. Only Lord of the Rings and Titanic beat it; it's considered unlikely it'll beat LoTR. It would have to almost double it's revenue to beat Titanic.

Nice to see that 2 of the 3 are fantasy movies :)

Is that all three LoTR movies combined? If so, then I'd say you'd have to combine all three Pirates of the Caribbean movies (when the third one comes out) to have an accurate comparison.

But cool though.

EDIT: nevermind. It would help if I read the article. It is Return of the King that is at number 2.
I bit of summing from Boxoffice Mojo says that all three LoTR movies did $2,045,176,379 combined! Not bad for a $94 mil production cost.

:eek:

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Darth Shoju said:
=

EDIT: nevermind. It would help if I read the article. It is Return of the King that is at number 2.

So long as you don't adjust for inflation, RotK is at #2. It looks ot drop down a touch if inflation is included (because Gone With the Wind pops up to #1, if nothing else).

Acid_crash

First Post
I liked DMC more than the first, granted, but I didn't expect it to do so well...

unless we consider that this year there isn't a whole lot for DMC to compete with.

Next year, however, will be a total different year for blockbuster movies.

Nyaricus

First Post
Acid_crash said:
Next year, however, will be a total different year for blockbuster movies.
What is there to look forward to in the next year?

In any case, DMC coming out on top like that is fan-freakin'-tastic :D

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Felon said:
Y'know, I thought Dead Man's Chest was OK...but c'mon already. :heh:
It is riding on the shoulders of the first PotC movie.

That one amazed me twice, first by not sucking (the only reason that I went to see it was that I wanted to see a pirate movie so badly that I was willing to risk a bad pirate movie...) and the second was by actually being good!

The downside is that because I liked PotC so much I made the mistake of seeing Haunted Mansion....

The Auld Grump

Remove ads