help with rogue/sorc build

AdamBomb

First Post
I'm planning a gnome rogue/sorc (building towards arcane trickster) in an upcoming campaign, and wanted to see if there's anything I'm not thinking about or have overlooked. Pretty much any WotC books allowed.
Basic concept is to use magic to enhance roguish abilities and utilize ray spells to deal sneak attacks with ranged touch attacks.
Feats I'm looking at are Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot and Weapon Focus (rays). I'd like to get improved feint to create more sneak attack opptys, but it only works for melee, not ranged attacks, correct?
For spells, I'm looking at ray of frost at 0 level, and scorching ray at 2nd, is there a 1st level ray? what other spells should I be considering to improve my roguery? I'm considering stuff like mage hand, unseen servant, spider climb, and blink for a few of them. what others should I be thinking about for levels 1-10?

Kurashu

First Post
Ray of Enfeeblement. 1d6 Str damage. You're tank will thank you when that barbarian starts doing 1d12 instead of 1d12+2. You can't crit or add Sneak Attack damage to it though.

Ask your DM if you can use the Spell Compendium too.

Fox's Cunning, Eagle's Splendor are too good spells if you can't think of anything else to take (I believe they're level 2, probably wrong though).

Thanee

First Post
Complete Arcane has the Orb spells, which would fit well (1st and 4th level).

But I wouldn't overdo it with different types of ray/ranged touch spells. Two or three are probably enough. Getting a broad selection of spells useful in various situations is usually a good idea.

Bye
Thanee

AdamBomb

First Post
thanks. I think my plan is to do some swapping out of known spells as I get higher level spells that are more useful: replace spider climb when I can get fly, for example. Likewise with the rays, I may swap out the known ones as I level up.
Aside from the rays, what other spells can I use to do roguish stuff?

Thanee

First Post
Well, Invisibility is always a good start.

About the swapping... be sure, not to overdo it with spells you want to swap out later, since you can't really swap out that many of them. :)

If you want to get into the Arcane Trickster PrC early, you could also looks at Rogue 1/Spellthief 1/Sorcerer 6/Arcane Trickster.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Remove ads