Rappan Athuk Reloaded Questions

RisnDevil

First Post
Our group is going to be losing one of our players one week a month. We only play three times a month as is, so we do not wish to cancel that one week, but do not wish to play that game when he is not there. As such, I am getting Rappan Athuk Reloaded at a really great price, which my DM is more than happy to run. But I have some questions.

We are only going to be a three person party, but we are playing gestalt. What should our starting level be? (Or what level should we be before we actually enter the dungeon if we do start out at level 1?)

About how many sessions of play is it?

About what level will we reach upon completing the dungeon?

Should we just do WLD instead?

Thanks in advance for any input.

RisnDevil

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
RisnDevil said:
We are only going to be a three person party, but we are playing gestalt. What should our starting level be? (Or what level should we be before we actually enter the dungeon if we do start out at level 1?)

About how many sessions of play is it?

About what level will we reach upon completing the dungeon?

Should we just do WLD instead?

Thanks in advance for any input.

RisnDevil

The problem with RARe for a party of only 3 (even Gestalt) is actions per round. There are numerous places with multiple foes, so the number of actions is as important as anything else.

Treebore

First Post
Starting level for a 3 person party? At least 5th, even gestalt. 6th may be better.

Level when you finish? Probably dead. If you survive your looking at around 20th.

How many gaming sessions? Don't know. Once a month will last several years because I am figuring at least 30 6 hour sessions.

Should you do WLD instead? Plenty of people are having fun with that one too.

I also think Rappan Athuk will play out better if your DM mixes in some other "outside the dungeon" adventures, maybe integrate Lost City of Barakus (with Endhome being a "base city" for both dungeons) and/or mixing in Bards Gate or some other city source your DM has and likes.

Doing this will help prevent the "plodding and never ending dungeon" like Temple of Elemental Evil had for me. He should consider having you guys go into RA for specific goals until he is able to figure out how he wants to use the main NPC's of the Dungeon.

You'll know your DM has hit "it" when RA plays like a city adventure that happens to be underground.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yeah RARE is a death trap man. That's why as I DM I love it, but as a player, I'd avoid it until I was like...15th level. :p :)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I would say 10th is the very minimum for trying it. Some parts are lower levels, but there are lots of powerful groups around the dungeon itself, that going earlier would basically be pointless, as you'd get killed leaving. (Module wise, I think you should do Tomb of Abysthor first)

Also bear in mind, it's really not a dungeon meant to be completed. In theory it can, but basically completing the dungeon means killing Orcus. You'd have to be at least 25th level or so to try that, I'd think.

Honestly, I don't think that Rappun Athuk is that great a dungeon from a PC's point of view. Other than a few spots, it's rather repetitive, it's very deadly, and while there is some decent loot, the chances of getting back to civilization with it is very slim.

I personally didn't know much about RA before getting the boxed set, I was expecting something more playable to a wide variety of levels and styles, like say Undermountain.

At least you can leave it, unlike the WLD.

fafhrd

First Post
I've been having a great time as the wizard of a 4 man team in RARe. The DM started us at 7th level and we've since made it to 9th. We've just scraped through a few encounters with a little ingenuity and a lot of luck, so the starting level seems to have worked out fairly well with a tough(though not superlative) 32 point buy group. I'm not sure how gestalt works out in play, but 5th level seems like it would be the absolute minimum survivable starting level, and I use 'survivable' loosely.

The trips to and from the dungeon are stocked with encounters. Frequent random and locational encounters are probably essential for weaker groups. There's plenty of opportunity to get some xp under the belt before getting to the dungeon proper.

Arnwyn

First Post
trancejeremy said:
I would say 10th is the very minimum for trying it.
I agree. 9th or 10th, minimum. 6th is WAY too low (gestalt or otherwise), and even 7th is questionable.

Also bear in mind, it's really not a dungeon meant to be completed. In theory it can, but basically completing the dungeon means killing Orcus. You'd have to be at least 25th level or so to try that, I'd think.
I agree with this, too.

(But I don't agree with anything else he said.)

fafhrd

First Post
Treebore said:
Your in Tucson? Lets se, that is about 90 minutes away from me, if your on the east side.

Sorry, Treebore. We play near the university. :p The game has been fun, but not so much so that a 2 hour drive is warranted.

I agree. 9th or 10th, minimum. 6th is WAY too low (gestalt or otherwise), and even 7th is questionable.

Perhaps it's the power creep. Our characters are borrowing heavily from PHBII and the Spell Compendium. Close Wounds in the hands of a favored soul with the alternate class ability and augment healing is a thing to behold.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Arn,

It also depends on other factors for killing Orcus... You know what I mean.

Fafhad,

Sounds like it. Hey if you want to try it, be my guest. Just don't expect a long life expectancy. :)

Remove ads