(Epic Prestige Class) Sorcerer-King

the Jester

Legend
This is a first draft of an epic prestige class. Good powers, 9/10 spellcasting, but with a cost (giving up slots)- what do you think? A few quick notes- I'm a fan of serious custom stuff at epic levels; this was designed with a sorcerer/argent savant in mind.

Sorcerer-King

Sorcerer-Kings are arcanists who have come to rule an area. They tie themselves so closely to the land that they reflect each others’ health and vitality. A sorcerer-king learns to feel his land, the state of its affairs and any threats. He gains tremendous powers with which he can defend it.

All sorcerer-kings must be spontaneous arcane casters, and the vast majority of them are sorcerers, but a few have risen from the ranks of the greatest bards.

Hit Die: d4

PREREQUISITES

To become a sorcerer-king, a creature must fulfill all of the following prerequisites:

Spellcasting: Able to spontaneously cast 9th-level arcane spells.
Skills: Diplomacy (12 ranks).
Feats: Great Charisma.
Special: Must rule an area of land of at least 400 square miles or with a population of at least 5,000.

Class Skills: Bluff (cha), Concentration (con), Diplomacy (cha), Gather Information (cha), Intimidate (cha), Knowledge (arcana, geography, local and nobility and royalty) (int), Sense Motive (wis), Speak Language and Spellcraft (int). Skill points per level: 2 + int bonus.

Level--- Special Abilities

1--- Tied to the Land, +1 caster level
2--- Sense Incursion, +1 caster level
3--- See the Land 1/day, +1 caster level
4--- Defend the Land 1/day, bonus feat
5--- Heal Subjects 1/day, +1 caster level
6--- See the Land 2/day, +1 caster level
7--- +1 caster level
8--- Defend the Land 2/day, bonus feat, +1 caster level
9--- See the Land 3/day, +1 caster level
10--- Heal Subjects 2/day, +1 caster level

CLASS FEATURES

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
A sorcerer-king gains no new proficiencies in armor or weapons.

Spellcasting: At every class level except those ending in 4, the sorcerer-king increases in spellcasting power.

Tied to the Land (Su): The sorcerer-king and his land are tied tightly together. They reflect each others’ health. If the land is blighted or otherwise rendered unhealthy, the sorcerer-king suffers 1d4 points of con damage per day. If the sorcerer-king is sick, the land gradually loses its vitality as crops wither, birds and insects begin to die off, etc. If the sorcerer-king is slain, the land goes into a deep hibernation within a week, and nothing new grows. This tie permanently costs the sorcerer-king ten levels of spell slots, at least one of which must be 7th level or higher.

Sense Incursion (Su): If the sorcerer-king’s lands are invaded or attacked by a serious threat, he becomes instantly aware of the existence of the threat as well as the location of the attack. This ability works at any distance and even across planes (lthough certain sealed planes might prevent it). This ability is otherwise similar to proleptic visions.

See the Land (Sp): Once per day per three levels, the sorcerer-king may use clairaudience, clairvoyance or scrying as a standard action to look in on his land or subjects or to check up on someone within his lands. This ability lasts for one hour, and the effect chosen may not be changed. Otherwise, it functions just like the spell in question.

Defend the Land (Sp): As a standard action, the sorcerer-king may cover an area of his land up to 100’ in diameter per class level in a protective dome of force. This effect is partially shapeable; the sorcerer-king can choose to shorten one dimension (i.e. a 400’ diameter dome only 100’ high). The dome lasts for 10 minutes per class level or until dismissed. It is otherwise similar to a wall of force, except that a disintegrate spell or effect will only punch a hole in the dome, rather than completely destroying it.

Heal Subjects (Sp): Once per day per 5 levels, the sorcerer-king can channel one of his normal spells into a healing effect. This effect will heal all of his subjects within 30’ of 1d6 hp per level of the spell slot sacrificed. This power has no effect on anyone that is not a subject of the sorcerer-king.

Bonus Feats: Sorcerer-kings gain bonus feats every four levels. They may choose from the following list: Augmented Alchemy, Epic Leadership, Epic Reputation, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Extended Life Span, Familiar Spell, Great Charisma, Improved Spell Capacity, Polyglot, Spell Knowledge, Tenacious Magic.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I like the class, but to be honest, it feels pretty weak. Tied to the land is a triple whammy: not only did the character 'just' pay the entrance cost, but they lose a 7th-level spell slot and can lose Con. Further, if they care about their land, they have the potential to harm it by being harmed.

Sense Incursion is nice, and could be useful, but isn't particularly powerful (depending on how the DM uses it). See the Land is unimpressive for someone at this level. Heal Subjects isn't strong compared to effects that can be seen at this level, and seems almost out of place here: it would be a useful ability for a character without access to many resources, but for a king who surely has a court cleric at beck and call it's strangely placed.

Finally, the class gains feats more slowly than the epic sorcerer. A Sor23/Sorcerer-King7 has 2 fewer epic feats than a Sor30.

In conclusion, you're paying several feats (Great Charisma + 1/12 levels) and restricting your selection for a better skill selection and Sense Incursion. I thinkyou need more powers, or perhaps something better in place of See the Land. Finally, I think level 1 should hurt less. It's all negative at the moment; a level of nonepic loremaster would be better.

the Jester

Legend
Good points all.

Would increasing the rate of feat aquisition to 1/3 levels be enough to balance this? Alternatively, I was considering giving out some more concrete benefits from Tied to the Land- maybe DR, and while the character is on their land an increase to caster level or something. What do you think? Is either of these alone enough, or should I do both? Or any other ideas on ways to keep the flavor but turn it up a notch?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Some kind of Sanctum Spell kind of effect would be appropriate. Like a level of free metamagic, but only on his land. It would indirectly make up for the lost level of spellcasting.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I like it. It's definitely not overpowered, and has a flavor-specific focus. Nice.

CRGreathouse said:
Further, if they care about their land, they have the potential to harm it by being harmed.
Hey, are these the guys responsible for making the Dark Sun world so inhospitable? ;)

the Jester

Legend
TarionzCousin said:
Hey, are these the guys responsible for making the Dark Sun world so inhospitable? ;)

Ahhh, defilers. :]

In 2e, in my campaign, the secrets of the defilers were held by the Book of Both Hands (which also gave special powers to good wizards, and both good and evil powers to neutrals). I need to come up with a good conversion for that...

[/tangent]

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I'd make Tied to the Land give some kind of metamagic-like ability and increase the number of feats on the list. Depending on how powerful you make the ability (and how level-dependant) you might not need to give out more feats.

the Jester

Legend
Okay, here's a second draft, renamed. Mostly what I changed was Tied to the Land (and the name). I also tweaked Heal Subjects so that it works on allies as well as just subjects.

As to the issue of needing more feats for their bonus feat list- I agree. My plan is ultimately to create a bunch of custom, character-appropriate feats for the class. I am happy to take suggestions! :)

Eldritch Liege

Eldritch lieges are arcanists who have come to rule an area. They tie themselves so closely to the land that they reflect each others’ health and vitality. A eldritch liege learns to feel his land, the state of its affairs and any threats. He gains tremendous powers with which he can defend it.

All eldritch lieges must be arcane casters. The vast majority of them are sorcerers, but a few have risen from the ranks of the greatest bards.

Hit Die:
d4

PREREQUISITES

To become an eldritch liege, a creature must fulfill all of the following prerequisites:
Spellcasting: Able to cast 9th-level arcane spells.
Skills: Diplomacy (12 ranks).
Feats: Great Charisma.
Special: Must rule an area of land of at least 400 square miles or with a population of at least 5,000.

Class Skills: Bluff (cha), Concentration (con), Diplomacy (cha), Gather Information (cha), Intimidate (cha), Knowledge (arcana, geography, local and nobility and royalty) (int), Sense Motive (wis), Speak Language and Spellcraft (int). Skill points per level: 2 + int bonus.

Level---- Special Abilities
1---- Tied to the Land, +1 caster level
2---- Sense Incursion, +1 caster level
3---- See the Land 1/day, +1 caster level
4---- Defend the Land 1/day, bonus feat
5---- Heal Subjects 1/day, +1 caster level
6---- See the Land 2/day, +1 caster level
7---- +1 caster level
8---- Defend the Land 2/day, bonus feat, +1 caster level
9---- See the Land 3/day, +1 caster level
10--- Heal Subjects 2/day, +1 caster level

CLASS FEATURES

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
An eldritch liege gains no new proficiencies in armor or weapons.

Spellcasting: At every class level except those ending in 4, the eldritch liege increases in spellcasting power.

Tied to the Land (Su): The eldritch liege is tied tightly to his land. If the land is blighted or otherwise rendered unhealthy, the eldritch liege suffers 1d4 points of con damage per day. If the eldritch liege is sick, the land gradually loses its vitality as crops wither, birds and insects begin to die off, etc. If the eldritch liege is slain, the land goes into a deep hibernation within a week, and nothing new grows. However, the eldritch liege also draws power from the land, and is able to restore spells that he has employed (either regaining expended prepared spells or regaining expended spell slots) by doing so. Once per day, as a swift action, the eldritch liege can restore up to ten levels of expended spells or spell slots.

His tie to the land permanently costs the eldritch liege ten levels of spell slots, at least one of which must be 7th level or higher.

Sense Incursion (Su): If the eldritch liege’s lands are invaded or attacked by a serious threat, he becomes instantly aware of the existence of the threat as well as the location of the attack. This ability works at any distance and even across planes (although certain sealed planes might prevent it). This ability is otherwise similar to proleptic visions.

See the Land (Sp): Once per day per three levels, the eldritch liege may use clairaudience, clairvoyance or scrying as a standard action to look in on his land or subjects or to check up on someone within his lands. This ability lasts for one hour, and the effect chosen may not be changed. Otherwise, it functions just like the spell in question.

Defend the Land (Sp): As a standard action, the eldritch liege may cover an area of his land up to 100’ in diameter per class level in a protective dome of force. This effect is partially shapeable; the eldritch liege can choose to shorten one dimension (i.e. a 400’ diameter dome only 100’ high). The dome lasts for 10 minutes per class level or until dismissed. It is otherwise similar to a wall of force, except that a disintegrate spell or effect will only punch a hole in the dome, rather than completely destroying it.

Heal Subjects (Sp): Once per day per 5 levels, the eldritch liege can channel one of his normal spells into a healing effect. This effect will heal all of his subjects and allies within 30’ of 1d6 hp per level of the spell slot sacrificed. This power has no effect on anyone that is not a subject or ally of the eldritch liege (including undead).

Bonus Feats: Eldritch lieges gain bonus feats every four levels. They may choose from the following list: Augmented Alchemy, Epic Leadership, Epic Reputation, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Extended Life Span, Familiar Spell, Great Charisma, Improved Spell Capacity, Polyglot, Spell Knowledge, Tenacious Magic.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Two things I think this class needs

1. Ubiquitous Presence: The eldritch liege is able to teleport at will to any location within his lands

2. Ubiquitous Spellcasting: n-times per day an eldritch liege can cast a spell at have its effects manifest anywhere within his lands regardless of normal range

the Jester

Legend
Tonguez said:
Two things I think this class needs

1. Ubiquitous Presence: The eldritch liege is able to teleport at will to any location within his lands

2. Ubiquitous Spellcasting: n-times per day an eldritch liege can cast a spell at have its effects manifest anywhere within his lands regardless of normal range

OOOOOHHHH!!!!

Thanks, Tonguez!!

...on to draft 3...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases