Merging two images

OK, I've got an image, and I want to put the "red circle with a slash" image over it (you know , that universal "no!" sign thingy).

I've got both images electronically (just from Google images, nothing I made myself).

How do I superimpose the red circle over the first image?

I'm trying to make little "no Spock" and "no Yoda" signs for something.

Any suggestions?

Sir Brennen

Legend
what image software do you have access to? It would be easy in Photoshop - just paste the "no" symbol over the other image and play with the blending properties, or delete the area around the symbol so it's transparent, then paste.

GIMP is a freeware image editing tool, most of the features of photoshop, but a little steeper learning curve.

XCorvis

First Post
Get GIMP or any other program that supports layers.
I can't really walk you through it, but you'll want to edit the "no" image so that the areas that look white (or black) now are actually transparent. Once that is done, you just paste it on top of the other image and then resize/move it around until it looks right.

Mycanid

First Post
:lol:

AT first I thought you were trying to merge two hard drive images and I was thinking "Oh no.... How am I going to approach this one?"

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into GIMP.

And no, Mycanid, nothing that drastic!

If I can't get GIMP to work, I'll just do it manually and scan it in. But it's more fun to try new software than to hook up an old scanner. :p

Sir Brennen

Legend
Barendd Nobeard said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into GIMP.

And no, Mycanid, nothing that drastic!

If I can't get GIMP to work, I'll just do it manually and scan it in. But it's more fun to try new software than to hook up an old scanner. :p
You could probably email the images to someone who is familiar with GIMP or Photoshop for them to do as well... what you're asking sounds pretty simple. (Yes, I'm volunteering.)

ssampier

First Post
Very easy. Both can be placed on their own layer. The only semi-difficult part if the red circle with a slash has a background (which for solid colors can generally be removed with either the magic wand or background-eraser).

How big do these images have to be? Most free images are low-resolution JPGs so they'll look like crap when expanded to print size.

Sir Brennen said:
You could probably email the images to someone who is familiar with GIMP or Photoshop for them to do as well... what you're asking sounds pretty simple. (Yes, I'm volunteering.)
Thanks! I have emailed you with some details.

ssampier said:
Very easy. Both can be placed on their own layer. The only semi-difficult part if the red circle with a slash has a background (which for solid colors can generally be removed with either the magic wand or background-eraser).

How big do these images have to be? Most free images are low-resolution JPGs so they'll look like crap when expanded to print size.
The images can be quite small, so size/resolution doesn't need to be that great. They are for small, decorative touches on a home-made postcard (they are not the focus of the postcard; the main thing is the text). So, a postcard is about 4x5; an image just an inch across is more than sufficient.

Thanks!

XCorvis said:
Get GIMP or any other program that supports layers.
I can't really walk you through it, but you'll want to edit the "no" image so that the areas that look white (or black) now are actually transparent. Once that is done, you just paste it on top of the other image and then resize/move it around until it looks right.
Thanks for the suggestion; GIMP did the trick very nicely.

I took the first three images and made the last two. Total time in the GIMP program--about two minutes.

Thanks!

Attachments

• spock.jpg
    spock.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 56
  • yoda.jpg
    yoda.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 61
  • clipart-red-circle-slash.gif
    clipart-red-circle-slash.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 74
  • NO_spock.jpg