SoulForged - Thayan Warforged

smootrk

First Post
The fire based spells resistances come moreso from the flavor description. The Soulforged are animated not only from the Red Wizard's arcane efforts, but also in a major way from the divine efforts of Kossuth the Fire Lord's priests. See the deity from the Forgotten Realms books for info on Kossuth, who is a major patron of the environs of Thay. Even if the Soulforged does not venerate the Fire Lord, they still possess this aspect of their creation.

Seemed like an appropriate ability to differentiate them from standard warforged (IMO). Easy enough to drop that if you don't care for that aspect, as well as the +1 LA. The LA comes from the general consensus that warforged already are a very strong +0 race, and giving them a couple of abilities/qualities on top of that almost assuredly meant that +1 LA is warranted. Again, easy enough for you to drop those functions, but then you are left with standard warforged, simply transported to Toril.

Last edited:

NilesB

First Post
smootrk said:
The LA comes from the general consensus that warforged already are a very strong +0 race, and giving them a couple of abilities/qualities on top of that almost assuredly meant that +1 LA is warranted.
The "General Consensus" is composed in this case of people who have never played in a game using Warforged, hate the concept and are responding to exactly the same impulse that deludes people into thinking that the monk is drastically overpowered.

Warforged are underpowered.

smootrk

First Post
NilesB said:
The "General Consensus" is composed in this case of people who have never played in a game using Warforged, hate the concept and are responding to exactly the same impulse that deludes people into thinking that the monk is drastically overpowered.

Warforged are underpowered.
That probably varies with the exact nature of the DM/Player styles of play. In a setting with lots of ghouls, dire rats, environmental hazards for exposure, etc. then I would say that a Warforged is quite strong. In other campaign styles, you might be correct with your assessment.

In general, I like warforged (although not initially - they grew on me over time), which is why I worked towards incorporating them into the FR setting.

smootrk

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
Thayan knights must be human (see LoD, p. 64 and CW, p. 85).

-Samir
Yeah, I noticed that. I broke with that tradition specifically for this race. I also rewrote the Thayan Slaver PRC with changes to allow them, and Black Flame Zealots as well. I believe that if the Red Wizards had these beings available, they would be naturals at both of those roles... but just an opinion. FR Purists might obviously disagree.

NilesB

First Post
smootrk said:
That probably varies with the exact nature of the DM/Player styles of play. In a setting with lots of ghouls, dire rats, environmental hazards for exposure, etc. then I would say that a Warforged is quite strong.
Less so than Elves. Warforged have no ability that makes them more resistant to exposure than other races and other environmental hazards present a greater obstacle to them than other races as they cannot doff their armor to avoid the associated skill penalties. (unless they did not spend their starting feat on not having by far the lowest AC in the party(unless it also has a monk); in which case, given their resistance to healing spells, their player should start rolling up a new character now) Filth and Ghoul fevers are annoyances not dangers. Any PC fails half a dozen DC 12 Fort saves once per day, in a row, given the ability to have someone make a skill roll and use it as their save if it's higher, is remarkable in their lack of resources or resourcefulness.

smootrk

First Post
NilesB said:
Less so than Elves. Warforged have no ability that makes them more resistant to exposure than other races and other environmental hazards present a greater obstacle to them than other races as they cannot doff their armor to avoid the associated skill penalties. (unless they did not spend their starting feat on not having by far the lowest AC in the party(unless it also has a monk); in which case, given their resistance to healing spells, their player should start rolling up a new character now) Filth and Ghoul fevers are annoyances not dangers. Any PC fails half a dozen DC 12 Fort saves once per day, in a row, given the ability to have someone make a skill roll and use it as their save if it's higher, is remarkable in their lack of resources or resourcefulness.
I am not disagreeing with you, as I generally feel much the same way, but pointing out that there are other views on this - equally valid. I have DM'd with warforged in the party, and found that they are superior in some ways, and inferior in other ways - and overall this makes them rather well balanced (and this is my opinion based on my campaign style and play style). Someone with a differing campaign style may conclude differently.

smootrk

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
Which would be my preferred option, but to each his/her own. ;)
I can appreciate your take on it. However, in my view of the Forgotten Realms with world/cultural variants all over the place (shield dwarves, ghostwise halflings, Grey Orcs, a rainbow of elves, and several human cultures all quite separate from each other), it seemed appropriate for some distinct races of these warforged creatures (if you can really call things sub-races for manufactured races ;) ).

So along that line of thinking, does anyone have any fantastical ideas for other Faerunian styles of Warforged? What makes them different from the standard model (ie ported from MM3/Eberron)?

Remove ads