Retreating *is* an option!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Hmm.

My current original campaign draws greatly on the second Corum trilogy by Michael Moorcock(The Bull and the Spear, The Oak and the Ram, The Sword and the Stallion). In the last session, I threw them against Hew Argech, once a valourous human fighter 11, but now corrupted by the Fhoi Myore into a strange part-plant creature. (AC 31, 109 hp, DR 10/slashing, Resist cold 10, improved Str, Con, reduced Dex).

The trick with this encounter that his mount was actually *stronger* than the rider, being part of the corruption process. (Str 30, AC 31, 200 hp, etc.) My party of six 8th level PCs encountered Hew Argech and slew him after a fairly tough fight.

At this point, the "horse" began to drag away Hew Argech's body. The PCs decided to fight the horse.

This is where things went wrong. In the next 12 rounds of combat, three PCs were driven to negative hit points (and healed to low levels of positive hit points) and one PC and the druid's animal companion were slain.

At any point during the combat, if they'd *stopped* attacking the horse, it would have resumed dragging away its rider's body. At the end, that's what they eventually did, but it almost needed a TPK to get the point into them. (They had managed to reduce the "horse" to 50 hp, but three of the remaining PCs were at <10 hp).

So, how would your group have dealt with this situation? I was giving clues as to how healthy the horse was. ("It's hardly damaged!" "Congratulations, you've removed 25% of its hit points!", etc.) Hitting the horse was really, really hard, etc.

Cheers!

Nonlethal Force

First Post
You didn't do anything wrong. If anything, I think you were generous in giving them precise updates on the progress of the slow downward spiral of hitpoints. If they can't figure out that they're missing often, its a beefy horse, and its kicking the crap out of them so they should run ... [Or use ranged attacks as Thanee suggests] ... then the chose the TPK, not you.

Don't lose sleep over it. Wake up tomorrow, and plan another encounter just like this one with an animal companion stronger than the main bad guy to see if they've learned anything.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Hunter In Darkness said:
yep u did good they should have run and got it from range

With DR 10/slashing, and being *faster* than the group, getting it from range wasn't really a good option, I must say.

(The horse & rider also had the interesting combination of Resist Fire 10 and Vulnerable fire. The first could have been dispelled, but wasn't).

Cheers!

Merric, apologies for the off-topic post but did you have trouble accessing EN World over the weekend? The site was down for me for some reason and I'm wondering if it was something to do with me or perhaps my geographical location.

Olaf the Stout

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Olaf the Stout said:
Merric, apologies for the off-topic post but did you have trouble accessing EN World over the weekend? The site was down for me for some reason and I'm wondering if it was something to do with me or perhaps my geographical location.

I didn't have any trouble over the weekend. Sorry, Olaf!

Cheers!

Edgewood

First Post
Geeze, even with all of the hints my group would have kept going until at least half of them were slain (actually I'm exagerrating, I should have said more than half of them). ;)

MerricB said:
I didn't have any trouble over the weekend. Sorry, Olaf!

Cheers!

Thanks for letting me know Merric. I'm wondering if it's an ISP problem since I got my Mum to try and go to the EN World front page from their computer (we both use Optus) and it was down for her too. I couldn’t get to Mortality.net or Circvs Maximvs either (which I think both sit on the same server as EN World). I’m not sure what I can do about it though.

Olaf the Stout

MarkB

Legend
Once battle is joined, especially against an obviously-stronger and obviously-faster foe, it's not always obvious that retreat is an option. My Red Hand of Doom campaign ended in a TPK which could have been a retreat, because the battle was against a dragon, and there was no obvious reason why the dragon, once engaged, wouldn't use its superior speed to keep attacking them all the way back down the trail.

In this case, your players had the clue of the mount dragging its rider away, but since it clearly fought back once engaged, they might well have assumed it would then continue to do so.

It's a difficult balancing act. I guess the general principle is: When setting up an encounter in which the PCs may well have to retreat, ensure that all emergency exits are clearly marked.

Remove ads