Maps of Aquerra

Pbartender

First Post
el-remmen said:
Here is my latest map. So far, I am sticking with the light blue text for the sea names, as I still have not found something I like better and don't want them to stand out too much. I made the town/cities names bigger than on the other maps to make them clearer.

It's looking nice. What font did you use for "Verdun" and "The Kingdom of Herman Land"? I like it and it looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Oh, and take a close look at your compass roses. I just noticed that you missed a little bit of white...

Attachments

• Whitespot.GIF
    Whitespot.GIF
    6.9 KB · Views: 69

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Pbartender said:
It's looking nice. What font did you use for "Verdun" and "The Kingdom of Herman Land"? I like it and it looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.

It is called Blackadder ITC.

Pbartender

First Post
It looks like your using a stroke tool to outline your text... Try playing around with an outer glow instead. Or for dark outlines, try using a strong drop shadow with its distance set to 0. If you like it, it'll give you an outline that starts strong next to the text, but fades out.

Also, try setting your fonts to "smooth" instead of "sharp" or "precise".

These are looking really nice, Nemm.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'll experiment with the drop shadow again (I have gone thru many different unsatisfying versions of text I have not posted).

I am also in the middle of going back and re-doing large portions of my first map now that I have something of a system down and have got a lot better at maniputlating the topographical icons like mountains, hills and trees and things - and using the airbrush to fill in the land.

Going back to the original PSD file I am overwhelmed with the large number of unlabeled and uncombined layers which I got a lot better at organizing as I go along with the later maps.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
And another made from the three most recent:

h-land_territories.gif

I need to do something about the text. It was looking okay on my home machine, but looking at it here from work, it looks too washed out.

Remove ads