Would you play D&D if the sacred cows were sacrificed?

D&D 4th ed. has gotten rid of the Sacred Cows of D&D (AC, hit points etc)

• I'd hate it

Votes: 95 28.4%
  • I 'd mostly hate it

Votes: 71 21.2%
  • neutral

Votes: 106 31.6%
  • I'd mostly like it

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • I'd love it.

Votes: 27 8.1%

Gundark

Explorer
Due to some discussion on other threads I got asking a question. If say 4th ed comes out and all of the sacred cows get slaughtered (hit points, AC, levels, etc) would you play? For the sake of arguement the new D&D plays very well without the Sacred cows. What sacred cows could you not live without? What are the "must have SCs?

To be D&D, the game must have classes and it must have levels. There may be other sacred cows I'd insist on keeping, but those are the two that spring to mind. While it would be tricky, I think you could still make it D&D without hit points or the current AC system.

I'm not saying you couldn't have a perfectly good fantasy RPG without classes and levels. It just wouldn't be D&D.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I don't know if I would mind. Like the vampire rodent up there ... It'd have to resemble D&D in some form like levels or the like.

But I could give up on things like AC, vancian magic, BAB, ability scores, etc so long as there was something put in place that made sense.

I voted neutral. I wouldn't immediately hate it out-of-hand. But I'd have to see it to know if I'd like it.

LeifVignirsson

First Post
You know, everyone said this sort of thing when Iron Heroes came out, it was the signal of the end of 3rd edition all together and the start of a new way of thinking.

I really don't think that they will toss out the things that made it D&D (classes, hps, ac) but I think they will be more than happy to provide in black and white how each person can run a game with option heavy rules... You play B style game; you use X, Y, and Z rules. You play Y game; you use A, B and C rules...

Just a hunch, of course. I have heard the rumblings that everything is out of control in D&D, it is far too much like a video game and less like the beloved pen and paper style. I still play it, I still love it, but I see where people hack into optimization like video gamers use a Gameshark, Codebreaker or anything else to tweak the limits of what a game was designed to do... Do I fault that? No. But others do and I think they are out to make a new edition to try and control this...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The d20 mechanic is an excellent system. I could well do without vancian magic. Classes and levels are about the only sacred cow that you'd pretty much HAVE to keep, though I much prefer a skills-based character set. I also enjoy systems that allow you to make your character the way you want it without having to wait for the really good perks, or at least earning points to buy new advantages, powers, or what have you... something like the old Skills & Powers supplement from AD&D 2.5. :)

pawsplay

Hero
D&D is D&D. If there is too much bovine carnage, then the game really has to stand on its own, and the bar has been set pretty high. Further, it would probably result in a proliferation of Caves & Critters knockoffs.

Glyfair

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
I'm not saying you couldn't have a perfectly good fantasy RPG without classes and levels. It just wouldn't be D&D.
I think this is the key point. It wouldn't be D&D without the true sacred cows.

Would I play this non-D&D system? Possibly, but probably not. There are plenty of other systems I could play (including 3.5 D&D and other variations of D&D), and I feel no desire right now to play another RPG.

Oddly enough, the poll options don't answer the question. I might like the game. I might even love it. I wouldn't play it though. Hate & love don't really enter into whether I'd play it (OK, if I hated it, I wouldn't play it for certain).

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I think I wouldn't like it - thaey have been the standard for a long time now. It would be an entirely new game and I am not sure if I would be able to get into it.

Remove ads