Love and the DnD experience

WizarDru

Adventurer
MoogleEmpMog said:
If by "universally treated" you mean "often panned on the internet but sold more copies than any other FF game except FF7 (and possibly FFX, since I haven't seen the more recent numbers)," then yes. :D

Apparently 'Univerally treated' means something different to him than us. :)

From Gamerankings.com:

Final Fantasy VII: 92%
Final Fantasy VIII: 90%
Final Fantasy IX: 93%
Final Fantasy X: 91.4%
Final Fantasy X-2: 85%
Final Fantasy XI: 85%

Final Fantasy XII: 93%

I'd say that Final Fantasy X-2 is treated is the ugly duckling AFAIK. None of these scores reflect the PC versions, which are usually graded about 10% lower than their console counterparts.

drothgery

First Post
DonTadow said:
but in terms of a better game 1-6 usually outrank 8.

ITYM 4 and 6 usually outrank 8, but 1 is only noteworthy for kicking off the series, and 2,3, and 5 are pretty much unknown outside of Japan (despite some ports for GBA and PS1).

Raven Crowking

First Post
When I started gaming in '79 (blue box set), my first character was the magic-user Damien the Undaunted. My second character...his wife. My next characters...their children. Of course, this was with my brother DMing (I was born in '66; he in '68), with a "party" of just 1 player (over Christmas break). It just seemed natural to create those characters as a family group.

In my first AD&D campaign (with me DMing), my friend Keith's first character was Julius Invincible (now a deity in my current campaign). His next character....Julius' father.

These family elements seem pretty core to the human experience, IMHO. In rpgs, we have the option of telling the story of one set of heroes (ala Conan, say, or Elric of Melnibone), or we have the option of telling stories that span generations (as The Hobbit moves into LotR). One option gives us the ability to really focus on a single individual (or sets thereof), whereas the other allows us to make items like a mithral coat or Sting have greater meaning (that Gimli is son of Gloin means nothing without The Hobbit to give context to who Gloin is).

It's tough to run campaigns that span generations if all of the PCs are loners, and they never have any romantic entanglements. Because I am interested in the passage of time, I have devised special rules IMC to slow the "campaign world" time it takes PCs to level, while allowing them to level in roughly the same "real world time". And, I've included incentives to become involved in real life (as opposed to constant adventuring) with the idea that at some point, you can stop and say "Five years have passed since...." without howls of protest at the wasted time.

I, for one, like romance in a game. I like long-term relationships. I don't go around targetting loved ones indiscriminately to make them a liability, and I make sure that my players see NPCs with children (or who are children), and NPCs who are involved in their own love stories (requited or not).

RC

Kid Socrates

First Post
MoogleEmpMog said:
If by "universally treated" you mean "often panned on the internet but sold more copies than any other FF game except FF7 (and possibly FFX, since I haven't seen the more recent numbers)," then yes. :D

Another Final Fantasy VIII supporter!

Actually, I've only ever known Final Fantasy VIII supporters -- everyone I know that's played it (granted, that's about ten people in the area, not people online) have adored it. It's my favorite, and largely because of the love story.

Dracorat

First Post
My three rules regarding romance:

1) Cannot be used to try to encourage a real life romance
2) Cannot be used to try to give your character an unfair gaming advantage
3) Sex != Romance

Dracorat

First Post
In regards to FF8, I found the love subplot and the cardgame it's only redeeming qualities. Otherwise, it sucked bad.

FF3, that was a great game.

FFT, that was a masterpiece.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Dracorat said:
My three rules regarding romance:

1) Cannot be used to try to encourage a real life romance
2) Cannot be used to try to give your character an unfair gaming advantage
3) Sex != Romance
2 is fair. 1 and 3 take some of the fun out of things...

Do you have similar rules regarding in-game sex?

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Dracorat said:
Yes. There is a time and place for everything.

My gaming table isn't that time... or place.
There's nothing funnier than a couple of PC's getting surprised by the enemy because they were concentrating on other things... :)

I've had PC's in my game fall in love, fall in lust, get married, have kids (had to dream up a childbirth table - boy or girl, twins, healthy, etc., with racial variants), break up, have affairs... ::shrug:: ...never seen it as a problem...

Lanefan

Remove ads