AD&D 2nd Edition Rogues' Gallery: Who's used it?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, I have a question for everyone...

Who has used the old AD&D 2E Rogues' Gallery accessory in their campaigns, regardless of edition?

The characters in that accessory were also used in the old 2E Trading Card series. (Well, at least the first series of cards.)

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of the NPCs became "regulars" in peoples' campaigns, and how your PCs reacted to them. I'm looking for some good stories, and I might just update some of my favorites from that reference to 3rd Edition stats. (Some of them have already made their way into my World of Kulan campaign setting, but none have been statted out yet, or met by my current group.)

Here's the list:

Alakabon of the Legion
Alenella
Alont, Malrith
Amari the Warder
Argripina
Aruthir
Atropos
Aurora
Bandenwick, Dell
Beefbone, Hruigin
Benhi the Leech
Bertilde the Brazen
Bigbones, Martha (The Great)
Birning, Gregor
Boelle
Borealis
Brighthammer, Zera
Bronwen the Bold
Bureshu, Mariko
Burtelessar
Calla
Callran
Callvyn
Caysmal
Chobin "The Punkster"
Corinne
Coyenny the Shark
Cozzners, Granny
Elorelei (Lady)
Everwinter, Harlo
Great Druid, the
Guido del Confuso
Hardfist, Talgat
Harlena, Sharl (Lady)
Jackdraw
Jaht
Jalavier, Rogue Extraordinaire
Jankins, Alvestar
Jastus
Javair
Kealta, Thyl
Kell
Kellukuscha, Korska
Kendric ("Slipper")
Kerisis
Lachesis
Liana
Mallandiara, Syllendel
Meari
Mellenea
Mingor, Dahlia (Lady)
Minivera
Molacinth
Moonshadow
Necuurluf, Layla
Nendalin
Old Man, the
Phun, Phun Ach-mana
"Polly" the Pirate
Pontum
Ptermani, Ooma
Puggilly, Thom ("Pug")
Rhymer
Riallus
Rockhead, Istha
Rosabell, Delynn
Silvarost, Triestar
Silverdelve, Ellayni
Staloungue
Stauffan, Ari
Stelectra
Stonewright
Tectite, Darwell
Teryss the Resourceful
Theopolis the Thoughtful
Thevila of the Vale
Thicctoh, Riccih
Thistlethyme, Zod
Tuain, Finne
Tuiggi
Udo
Usteria
Warburton
Warton the Wiley
Wel Jon
Wendolyn of Gaunt (Lady)

Character names listed in Dark Orange have been converted to 3.5e for use with my World of Kulan campaign setting (or just for general use by my fellow EN Worlders)

Last edited:

Aries_Omega

Explorer
I had it back in the old days but no longer had it. I used a few but I remember there was one that was actually a 20th level wizard that casted a poorly worded wish that made her 1st level except that her caster level remained the same. I liked the flavor of that one. I'd be interested in seeing 3.5 versions of her and the others.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Here's one....

“Polly” the Pirate
A character revised for 3rd Edition and World of Kulan

Race: Elf (islander)
Classes: 8th-level sea dog
Sex: Male
Alignment: Neutral evil

Abilities
Strength: 15 (+2)
Dexterity: 17 (+3)
Constitution: 9 (-1)
Intelligence: 15 (+2)
Wisdom: 13 (+1)
Charisma: 6 (-2)

Hit Dice: 8d6-8
Hit Points: 24
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+3 Dex, +4 brigandine, +1 shield, +1 earring), touch 14, flat-footed 16, or 18 (+3 Dex, +3 dodge, +1 shield, +1 earring), touch 14, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+8
Attack: +9 melee (1d8+2/x3, mw cutlass) or +8 melee (1d6+2/x2, sap)
Full Attack: +9/+4 melee (1d8+2/x3, mw cutlass) or +8/+3 melee (1d6+2/x2, sap)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +3
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Attacks: Islander elf traits (see below), aquatic enemy (tritons), and sneak attack +4d6.
Special Qualities: Islander elf traits (proficient with scimitars, short swords, and tridents *, +2 racial bonus to Swim checks *, Swim skill is always a class skill), AC bonus (+3)**, deep breath, evasion, uncanny dodge/improved uncanny dodge, and sea legs.
*Replaces standard elven proficiencies and racial bonus to Search checks. Islander elves don’t have the ability to detect secret or concealed doors. Except as noted here, islander elves have all the same racial traits of the elves listed in the PHB v.3.5.
**Only when not wearing armor.
Languages Spoken: Common, Elven, and Orc.
Skill Points: 32 points (1st-level sea dog) plus 56 points (2nd-level to 8th-level sea dog)
Race Bonuses: +2 racial bonus to Listen, Spot and Swim checks.
Skills *: Balance +11 (+14), Climb +8 (+11) [+10 (+13) involving climbing ropes], Escape Artist +9 (+12) [+11 (+14) involving ropes], Jump +11 (+14), Knowledge (geography) +11, Listen +8, Profession (sailor) +10, Spot +8, Survival +1 [+3 to keep from getting lost or for avoiding hazards], Swim +7 (+13), Tumble +8 (+11), Use Rope +12 [+14 involving bindings].
*Skills with armor check penalties are listed with a set of braces that shows the skill while "unarmored"
Feats: Armor Proficiency (light), First Strike *, Great Fortitude, [Martial Weapon Proficiencies (see list)], [Shield Proficiency], [Simple Weapon Proficiency]
Proficient Martial Weapons: Cutlass *, rapier, sap, scimitar, shortbow, short sword, and trident.
*From Player’s Advantage: Rogue.
Possessions: Brigandine quick-escape armor (made of Elven Darkleaf material – max Dex bonus +3, armor check penalty -3, arcane spell failure 25%, Speed 30 ft., 20 pounds, considered light armor), earring of protection +1, eye patch, light wooden shield, masterwork cutlass, parrot claw necklace, sap, traveler’s outfit, and a scroll case containing a fake treasure map.
Homeland: The Myriad Holds
Personality: Cantankerous, deceptive, and outlandish.
Description: Unlike most of his race, “Polly” is a short, stocky, muscular elf with almost no body hair save a small crest of while sun-bleached hair that he keeps tied under a bandanna. He wears loose-fitting shirts and pants belted with rope. A patch covers the socket of that once held his right eye.
Background: This old sea dog has been “Polly” for so many winters that none remember his true name (Ventros). Some say he took the moniker in memory of a parrot that saved his life.

The story, according to the old swashbuckler, goes that he lost his eye in a fight with a dryad’s charmed servant who would have killed Polly had not his first officer, said to be a parrot, intervened.

Polly cares little for his past; his focus is the here-and-now. The coast and Karmine Sea’s waters have always been his home, and pirate ships have been his school.

For a more detailed description of the NPC this is based on, see the “Polly” the Pirate entry in the D&D 2nd Edition Rogues Gallery accessory.
Sources: D&D Arms and Equipment Guide (Wizards of the Coast, Inc.), D&D 2nd Edition 1992 Trading Card #178 (TSR, Inc.), D&D 2nd Edition Rogues’ Gallery (TSR, Inc.), and Player’s Advantage: Rogue (Mystic Eye Games).

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Frukathka said:
Excellent character KF. :cool: He'll definetely see use in my campaign.
Thanks, although I had a lot to work with, as the old 2E Rogues Gallery accessory has just enough information to convert the NPCs without much fuss.

More will come as I feel like doingthem.

Bertilde the Brazen, Calla, Harlo Everwinter, Lady Elorelei, and Teryss will definitely be converted for use in my campaign. I already have the basics worked out for them, but I have other things to attend to, for my weekly game. However,

Stay tuned,

KF72

Shandar

First Post
Hrulgin Beefbone, Ishta Rockhead, a few others

I kept these sheets handy not so much as NPCs that became regulars, but a ready made, fully fledged character that could be pulled out if I had a "Drop In" player who wanted to check out the campaign but didn't want to take 6 hours to roll up a character, supply it, and think of a background. I could pull one of these sheets out and have the drop in player read it over while we went through the "When last we left our heroes" section of game time and then the PCs would encounter the new character as part of the adventure.

Hrulgin Beefbone was the most popular character used this way.

The best thing about it was that the drop in character did not (actually, never did) join the party even if the player checking out the group decided to join but the other players got a sense of how the potential new player would fit in the campaign, the potential new player got a very good sense of the other players, and a potential returning NPC was fleshed out without my having to play it myself.

I think these ready made characters are great...but you have to be careful with game balance if they hang around for more than one or two sessions, because most of them are pretty powerful.

Shandar

First Post
Stellunge (?)

I've found a folder in my piles with most of the Rouges Gallery 2nd edition sheets, but of course, not the one I was most interested in finding.

If anyone out there has the sheet for the female magic user, her name is Stelunge or something close, can you scan the text for me and email it?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Shandar the Ashen

Shandar

First Post
Staloungue found

Not that anyone is really that interested, I suppose, but I found the sheet I was searching for...always the last place you look. The character sheet for the 9th level human female wizard was tucked in my DMG, patiently waiting to be scanned.

Sigh.

Well, thanks for listening to the absent minded wizard in the corner.

I'll be checking in again sometime.

S.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shandar said:
Not that anyone is really that interested, I suppose, but I found the sheet I was searching for...always the last place you look. The character sheet for the 9th level human female wizard was tucked in my DMG, patiently waiting to be scanned.
Well, I was interested in what you wanted, although I wouldn't have scanned the page and sent it to you (even if I did have a scanner). That's not right, IMO, but I won't make a big deal out of it other than to express my opinion.

What I was going to do was this...

Staloungue
2nd Edition character revised for 3rd Edition

Race: Human
Classes: 9th-level wizard
Sex: Female
Alignment: Lawful good

Abilities
Strength: 11 (+0)
Dexterity: 12 (+1)
Constitution: 13 (+1)
Intelligence *: 14 (+2)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 11 (+0)
*Intelligence was 12 in the 2E Rogues Gallery.

Hit Dice: 9d4+9
Hit Points: 33 (24 for 2E)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 11 (+1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+4
Attack: +4 melee or +5 ranged
Full Attack: +4 melee or +5 ranged
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +8
Special Attacks: Arcane spells.
Special Qualities: Arcane spells, summon familiar.
Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, and Halfling.
Skill Points: 12 points (1st-level wizard) plus 6 points (2nd-level to 3rd-level wizard) plus 24 points (4th-level to 9th-level wizard)
Race Bonuses: 12 bonus skill points (for being human).
Skills: Concentration +13, Knowledge (arcana) +14, Knowledge (geography) +8, Listen +2, Profession (Cook) +12, Spellcraft +16, Spot +2, Survival +0 (+2 to keep from getting lost or for avoiding hazards).
Feats: Alertness, Brew Potion, Combat Casting, Iron Will, [Scribe Scroll], [Silent Spell], Spell Focus (Enchantment) B.
Proficient Simple Weapons: Club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff.
Spellbook(s): Staloungue has various traveling spellbooks, as well as one full-sized spellbook that she keeps very well hidden in a small, remote cottage. The full-sized one is entitled “For Ladies Only”, and contains her best assortment of spells.
Wizard Spells Memorized [4/5/5/3/2/1, DC = 12 + spell level (13 + spell level, for Enchantment spells)]: 0th — daze, ghost sound, mending, resistance; 1st — charm person, hypnotism, mage armor, shield, true strike; 2nd — arcane lock, daze monster, glitterdust, gust of wind, invisibility; 3rd — deep slumber, dispel magic, lightning bolt; 4th — crushing despair, lesser globe of invulnerability; 5th — mind fog.
Possessions: Bag of holding (type I), cloak of charisma (+2), rod of beguiling (2E magic item), spellbooks (see above), spell component pouch, and traveler’s outfit.
Familiar: Staloungue currently doesn’t have a familiar.
Personality: Cautious, unforgiving, and distrustful.
Description: Staloungue is of average height (5’ 10”), for a human woman, and has a somewhat slim build. She has huge volumes of cascading hair that sometimes seems to form a diaphanous cloud around her head.
Background: Staloungue was content to be an innkeeper’s wife until she came home one night and found her husband, Gunther, in the arms of a half-elven woman, an acrobat who was part of a traveling troupe. Her heart broken, she left town several weeks later, taking a job as a cook with a merchant caravan.

She soon developed a strong friendship with one of the caravan’s guards, a female arcanist named Regia. The wizard woman detected that Staloungue had magical potential and agreed to train Staloungue as her apprentice. By the time the caravan reached its destination, Staloungue was well on her way to becoming a full-fledge arcanist.

The two women traveled together for many years after that, becoming fast friends. During one adventure, Staloungue found her rod of beguiling. Still resentful of her husband’s infidelity, she began using the rod on unfaithful husbands, so that they would be forced to mend their ways. She did this against the wishes of her mentor and friend.

Eventually, the two arcanists went their separate ways, after Staloungue used her rod on an unfaithful husband who’s wife turned out also to be unfaithful. The husband killed himself in grief and Regia blamed Staloungue for the man’s death. Staloungue is mournful about her mistake, but believes she just has to be more careful how she uses the rod.
Sources: AD&D 2nd Edition Rogues Gallery.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases