Biosoph Class - Archivist of Nature

smootrk

First Post
Presented for your review and commentary... The Biosoph, archivist of nature.
The class is a variant/redo of the Archivist class from the Heroes of Horror book (and also free on the WOTC site, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3 ). Essentially, I changed the focus of the class to reflect a natural (and unnatural) world/flora/fauna/fey/giant focus instead of the standard Archivist slant towards outsider/undead/occult style.

There are few major changes. Changes to class skills, druidic spell list instead of clerical, and simple changes to the flavor text throughout.

Looking for commentary on the idea, or for input on ideas to further differentiate the two classes from each other if even necessary. Anyway, all comments welcome.

Attachments

• BaseClass_Biosoph.pdf
    205.4 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:

nobodez

Explorer
Looks good, though I'd like to see those Biologist feats. Also, you might want to add in somewhere that they can take the Natural Spell feat, since it makes sense that if a biologist could use a druid spell to transform into a wolf (Aspect of the Wolf, SPc), the biologist would be able to cast spells while in that form. (This was one of the problems I had while I played an Archivist in a campaign, all those fun druid spells from Spell Compendium made it difficult to cast other spells, like Aspect of the Earth Hunter.)

smootrk

First Post
I haven't really developed the Biologist Feats yet. Most would be mirrors of those Archivist feats that allow the Knowledge to apply to additional critters (like outsiders who are not elementals, or Dragons). Some ideas were: Draconic Biology, Humanoid Biology, Planar Biology, Xeno Biology (alienist stuff).

I also see your point on the Natural Spell feat. I should probably explore other nature/fey/druid feats to see which ones are appropriate to include as well.

exempt

First Post
I like this a lot. OK if I use it in my campaign? It's a world where the gods have died and so the only divine magic available is in scrolls and prayerbooks. This is a perfect complement to the archivist. The only suggestion I have is to change the name... I'm a biologist (in the real world), and I would hate to play myself in a fantasy game. Even "naturalist" would be better, though I know that has connotations with nudism (but then I would be even more enticed to play such a character). Maybe... "lorist" (as in lore-ist)?

smootrk

First Post
I struggled with the name. Few names sounded 'medieval' or d&d'ish enough, and I didn't want to use a 2 word combo if I didn't have to.

Naturalist? dunno... weird in my mind. Any more suggestions?

Ecologist, Eco-lorist, Eco-scribist,
Bio-lorist, Bio-scribe,

Any of you who are non-english speakers have anything that might sound good? or maybe more latin or other root-word saavy people have suggestions? Maybe I should head to the general forum and post a name request thread.

smootrk

First Post
Biosoph, Archivist of Nature

In the other thread (requesting a new name), there were a few really good suggestions for renaming the nature archivist variant I came up with. Ultimately, I chose Biosoph, because it didn't sound so modern and yet the root words made sense and were relatively recognizable. Thanks to all who contributed.

Here is the class in handy doc format; please ignore any blatant errors I have made in the presentation. I must give credit where credit is due. The concept (other than my changes in focus) comes from the authors of the Heroes of Horror book, and specifically the originator of the Archivist class. The book is excellent with several really good parts, even if you are not making a totally horror based campaign.

I also have the biosoph class programmed into DM Genie. Contact me if you are interested.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases