Does anyone have The Great Pendragon Campaign?

El Bob

First Post
I have it. It's a really nice campaign setting. Basically it details events and possible scenarios for every year starting in Uther's reign and running through the death of Arthur. As a campaign, it operates under the premise that gamemasters will need more help early in the campaign, so the scenarios in the early years are very detailed. The entries for later years become more general, giving an overview of happenings and rumors as well as providing adventure seeds.

I'd highly recommend it, but I'm a Pendragon fan. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have to help you decide if it's right for you.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
I was paging through the new Pendragon and the new campaign recently.

Is it just me, or are those two books - if you put them together - the same as my old edition of Pendragon?

El Bob

First Post
Infernal Teddy said:
I was paging through the new Pendragon and the new campaign recently.

Is it just me, or are those two books - if you put them together - the same as my old edition of Pendragon?

Nah, I don't think so. The GPC does add in some options that aren't in the new rulebook, but it is really more of a revised and expanded edition of "The Boy King" suppliment.

scourger

Explorer
What about the complexity of the game and the campaign? I haven't read the game yet, but I like the idea of the player characters encompassing a few generations. It seems like an interesting way to reward the exploration of non-combat skills & situations for long-term effect on the game. But, it also seems like a lot of information.

El Bob

First Post
The game operates on the premise that there will be one scenario per year. In my games, a scenario can sometimes last two or (rarely) three sessions. After that session, the game goes into the Winter Phase before entering the next year's adventure. I don't find it very complex, but if you track down a copy of "Lordly Domains," there are all sorts of optional rules that could ratchet up the complexity.

scourger

Explorer
No, I don't want it more complex. I want less complexity in the game. How does the transfer from one generation to another work?

Michael Dean

Explorer
I was toying with the idea of special ordering the new edition and the Great Pendragon Campaign. Can someone tell me if they introduce any major changes to the fourth edition or Campaign? I have 4th edition, The Boy King, and Lordly Domains. If they are largely similar, I can hold off and buy them later.

El Bob

First Post
Michael Dean said:
I was toying with the idea of special ordering the new edition and the Great Pendragon Campaign. Can someone tell me if they introduce any major changes to the fourth edition or Campaign? I have 4th edition, The Boy King, and Lordly Domains. If they are largely similar, I can hold off and buy them later.

I haven't purchased the new edition, but my understanding is that there are no fundamental rule changes from 4th to 5th. I am told that the 5th edition rulebook is much better organized and explains mechanics such as passions much more effectively. It also cuts out some of the character options, which some people seem to like (it makes the game more focused on one type of knight) and some people seem to hate (character options are good). The advice I was given was to buy the 5th edition for the rules clarifications and use the 4th to add flavor and options to my game.

As far as past suppliments go, everything should work since the rules haven't really changed. I think Lordly Domains is indespinsable and plan to use it when I start the GPC next month. The Boy King is obsolete , however, because the Great Pendragon Campaign is a improved, revised, expanded version of the Boy King.

Last edited:

El Bob

First Post
scourger said:
No, I don't want it more complex. I want less complexity in the game. How does the transfer from one generation to another work?

Well, there is no real mechanic for when you transfer generations. The Winter Phase does include a series of rolls that dictate whether your character finds a wife (we rarely used this -- wives were usually found within the campaign) and whether wives or lovers become pregnant (this we did use). The Winter Phase also provides rules for Aging, which will eventually lead to stat loss and possibley even death. However, the mechanics are simple -- a series of roles some of which require GM and/or player interpretation.

However, we brought in new generations of characters whenever it seemed appropriate. Sometimes it was to cover a PC death or injury, sometimes one player would decide that it was time for the son to replace the father, and sometimes the GM decided that this year's quest was for the younger knights. Of course, on occassion the older knights came out of retirement and undertook an especially important quest. Other groups may play this differently, but we kep the transfer of generations fluid. It eventually becomes clear that it is time to bring in some fresh blood (and seeing as the GPC overs 485-566, I'm guessing lots of fresh blood will be needed!).

Last edited:

Remove ads