Funeral...

... today, at roughly 4:32pm, Gideon Rhuul was pronounced dead.

He was a cleric of Selune (Level 5 cleric/Level 1 mystic wanderer). He died saving the remainder of the party.
It was the first adventure since we got sucked into Ravenloft.
He was surrounded by 8 wolfweres, most of which got full attacks on him.
He, by choice, didn't wear armour. He only wore the white and silver robes of the priest hood.
He got shredded.

I am beyond help.

He was a wonderful character to play. I almost calm emotion'd all of the wolfweres, but not quite. My favourite character ever? Maybe. In his short life span he was superb. I'll miss him.

Rest in peace Gideon. You've earnt it.

[Spider breaks down crying]

William Ronald

Explorer
Spider_Jerusalem:

My condolences on losing a good character. I have had characters sacrifice themselves to save their friends, as well as those who have died in battle. The key thing in game is to see how the remaining PCs react. Death is something that the PCs will face time and time again.

A heroic death can inspire a party. Gideon Rhuul may be dead in the game, but his sacrifice may inspire his friends to greater things.

There should be in character reaction by the other PCs and whatever new character you create to the death. The reactions should be based on how the characters reacted to him in life. ( I would hope for better reactions than "What stuff did he have?").

Possibly you might want to roleplay a funeral for Gideon Rhuul. Possibly your new character may show up at the funeral. He may find some of the characters a little reluctant to accept a new member in their group, but this is perhaps natural.

In the end, Spider Jerusalem, it is up to you and your fellow players to make Gideon Rhuul's life and death a remarkable part of your campaign. In future years, Gideon's courage may inspire not just his friends but strangers who never knew him. That is perhaps the best tribute of all.

Hammerhead

Explorer
I've had two character deaths in my game so far, and each character has had a funeral. Unfortunately, neither was very heroic; one was stabbed to death while sleeping, and the other drowned in an abandoned well. After "Far Punching" another member of the party.

Their funerals were less than inspiring, given that those two were the most universally reviled party members in the group. Hehehe. I still think that's funny.

Bhadrak

First Post
Hammerhead said:
Unfortunately, neither was very heroic; one was stabbed to death while sleeping, and the other drowned in an abandoned well.

Ah, the unheroic death. In one campaign we had someone fall off a bridge and die. I also had a character get torn apart by weasels. It was quite embarassing...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Do not despiar the Cult of Gygax shall restore thee, sacrifice 10 thousand virgins and wear black and no other colour, withdraw into your room and refuse to talk to your family....

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
My sympathies.

I lost a favorite character (a half-elven girl named Cyndelle) in Ravenloft.

The only consolation I could offer is that in Ravenloft, dying a normal death is the exception, and the character who does so is the lucky one.

Last edited:

Thank you for the support, and all your kind words.

The circumstances he left in were troubled to say the least. The woman (a Rashemi witch played by another player) he was so stubbornly in love with, had earlier that day encouraged advances on her by a towns guard. Gideon, in all his useless glory, pent up his anger inside and never really said to Chauntal (the witch) what he truly felt. Love is a terrible thing, but in Ravenloft, it borders on a Horror Check.

Chances of the funeral are quite small as the other characters had the race of their lives to escape, which included crossing a river then cutting the crossing-raft. All in all, they are 3 or 4 miles away, heading the wrong way and have no idea where Gideon is.

However, a rather untoward event occured earlier today. The DM has offered Gideon the chance to come back. I was quite captured by Gideon's heroic death that this took be somewhat by suprise.

So I have the option to return the character. But should I?

Friadoc

Explorer
Spider_Jerusalem said:
However, a rather untoward event occured earlier today. The DM has offered Gideon the chance to come back. I was quite captured by Gideon's heroic death that this took be somewhat by suprise.

So I have the option to return the character. But should I?

Depends,

...as he is currently at the side of his God, or at least in the chosen land of said diety - would he leave such a place?

Our Cleric of Tyr, one Father McGruder, was obliterated in a rather nasty piece of fighting in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' while we adventured through 'Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil' and was a surprise to us all.

However, it seems that Tyr was not done with his faithful servant as he sent him back to Faerun with a dire urgency to complete his mission and find the source of the troubles near poor Hommlet, as well as the resurgence of power for 'The Temple of Elemental Evil'.

Now our party has our cleric back, which would be nice save for the phrase we hear almost daily now - "Did I tell you I saw Tyr?"

Fortunately my Paladin of Lathander, Benjen Aragnskyr of Cormyr, just nods as Father McGruder talks, not wanting to tell him that paladins see their dieties, a lot. ;)

Remove ads