New Extra: Knockback

hero4hire

Explorer
KNOCKBACK +1 MODIFIER

When applied to a non-Damage effect, this extra causes it to inflict knockback like a Damage effect.
This is best suited to attack effects, naturally, although the GM should adjudicate applications of the modifier.

hero4hire

Explorer
hero4hire said:
KNOCKBACK +1 MODIFIER

When applied to a non-Damage effect, this extra causes it to inflict knockback like a Damage effect.
This is best suited to attack effects, naturally, although the GM should adjudicate applications of the modifier.

I vote Yes

rgordona

Explorer
I looked this up in UP last night but still have some questions:

Knockback only applies on Dammage effects if the result is stun or worse. How does that translate to non-dammage effects. (eg Aditory Dazzle) does the Knockback come in if the reflex save is failed, or is it only if the save is failed by 5 or more, (as for a stun result)?

I also have slight concerns that if Knockback is an extra then "No Knockback" would be a flaw on dammage effects (by symetry), so "Blast - No Knockback" would only be 1pp/rank, and that does not sound right to me.

Last edited:

Hand of Vecna

First Post
rgordona said:
I looked this up in UP last night but still have some questions:

Knockback only applies on Dammage effects if the result is stun or worse. How does that translate to non-dammage effects. (eg Aditory Dazzle) does the Knockback come in if the reflex save is failed, or is it only if the save is failed by 5 or more, (as for a stun result)?
I'd lean towards the "fail the (initial) save by 5 or more."

rgordona said:
I also have slight concerns that if Knockback is an extra then "No Knockback" would be a flaw on dammage effects (by symetry), so "Blast - No Knockback" would only be 1pp/rank, and that does not sound right to me.
Not necessarily -- at a certain point the Action Flaw becomes the Action Drawback, and some situations are better handled as a Power Loss rather than Limited. If "No Knockback" isn't limiting enough to be a Flaw (and I would agree on that), we can certainly rule that it's a Drawback.

hero4hire

Explorer
Again I know I cant vote but sometimes breaking the rules garners attention. Unfortunately it failed....

Adding Knockback to a Power that otherwise cannot is certainly more useful then taking it away to a power that can.

I would submit that non-damaging affects are easier to save then damaging ones by precisely 5 points for that matter and therefor it is already balanced.
It is much harder to fail by 5 for a non damaging effect and I fear this extra would see very little effectiveness if failing by 5 was stipulated.

rgordona

Explorer
YES

I've thought about this one long enough. It's in the core book. I can't see anything wrong with it.

Personaly I would go for H4H's interpretation and any fail gets the knockback, not just fails by 5 or more.

Remove ads