1001 Uses for an Immovable Rod

Christian

Explorer
OK, my party scored one of these tonight. What are some fun things we can do with it? It just seems like one of those items that has unlimited possibilities ...

(Party is 6th-7th level, so no ideas that include, eg., Time Stop.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Best use ever of an immovable rod in my campaign? The party commissioned a really really long one and used it as a straight edge to perform an aerial geometry equation to triangulate the exact location of an object they knew produced a spherical field that nullified Weave magic. Then, the barbarian (this was his plan, actually) slid down the immovable rod and plummeted onto the castle straight down, sundering with his axe until he reached the orb :lol:

Doorstop / bar
"Parachute"
Instant ladder (usually requires 2)
Improvised boot for carriage wheel
Mine / Putting holes in rapidly moving objects (ships)

EDIT: Teleport protection (see recent thread on new FAQ) :D

MarkB

Legend
Take two of them, and place them in a pair of platform-soled boots, with the activation button situated just beneath the wearer's big toe. Presto: Boots of air walking.

Mount an adamantine spearhead on it, and activate it just below the waterline in the path of an oncoming ship.

After climbing a difficult slope, use one to attach a rope to for your less-agile friends. Faster and less noisy than hammering pitons.

Christian

Explorer
MarkB said:
After climbing a difficult slope, use one to attach a rope to for your less-agile friends. Faster and less noisy than hammering pitons.

That was one of my first ideas after the Wizard Identified it last night. We're about to hike through mountains in the dead of winter (because we're apparently a bunch of idiots, I guess). I'm thinking if we get a rough cliff, my druid can shapeshift to aerial form with the rod in his pocket, fly to the top, and lower a rope ...

RigaMortus2

First Post
If you are on a ship and want the ship to stop, activate it in mid air so the crew's cabin (for example) runs into it and prevents the ship from moving. Instant anchor.

Plant the rod in the gound or side of a mountain and activate it. There, you've just prevented the world from rotating :)

Felix

Explorer
This fae was trying like heck to steal our chest that had some McGuffin and we just weren't getting any sleep. So we opened the chest, put one rod along one side, another on the other side, and locked the chest.

The DM didn't think of that (he thought the chest would be stolen or we would be bereft of rest/spells) and chuckled when he described the fae unsuccessfully trying to drag the thing away.

serraphin

First Post
I hate to be the moany rules lawer - but the ship stopping and (to an extent) giant creature stopping have a rather big flaw:

Immovable Rod:
An immovable rod can support up to 8,000 pounds before falling to the ground. If a creature pushes against an immovable rod, it must make a DC 30 Strength check to move the rod up to 10 feet in a single round.

If something's swallowed you whole, I'm guessing it's a bit big. Bigger than 8k lbs and strong enough to shrug off a DC 30+ roll. One could argue that if 3000lbs are 'pushed' against the rod in any direction, it drops.

Immovable rods do, however, make marvelous doorstops when you haven't got time to sprang a door and stop that horde of orcs what's chasing you :)

Remove ads