Quin Haden’s Original D&D Creatures (Updated 10/01/06)

Quin Haden

First Post
Quin Haden’s Original D&D Creatures (Updated 10/01/06)

*** Re-Writes are in process. ***
Thanks for the advice BLACKDIRGE.

About one and a half years ago I was so inspired by reading BLACKDIRGE’s character bio’s, and short stories, that I began to detail a few of the monsters I have had swimming around in my head for some time… Having originally intended to post them here, as well as detail my own homebrew world, I got side tracked for a while…

A long while…

Now here I am, ready to begin again.

I must warn you that I am a the kind of person that never feels like anything I create is complete… There is always more that I can explain, add, enhance, or even change for the better… As a result, I may end up revisiting anything I post here with updates. And you may not like them…

I am nothing close to the kind of writer that BLACKDIRGE is… Nuance is not a strong suit of mine, and I do not have a big vocabulary… But I like to think that I make up for what I lack, with originality and overall vision… I hope you like my offering.

P.S. I am slightly dyslexic so please pardon any spelling mistakes that spellcheck missed. :)

If you use these creatures in your adventures, I only ask that you include a small note of my authorship. PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you, and enjoy!

Outsiders
Goolie _ (CR2-12) _ [Abyss, Plane of Fright]
Greater Goolie _ (CR14-16) _ [Abyss, Plane of Fright]
Fear Fleshed Goolie _ (CR20-26) _ [Abyss, Plane of Fright]

Undead
Bone Specter _ (CR15)

more to come...

Last edited:

Quin Haden

First Post
This creature is one of the first I attempted to detail… I intend to revisit it with some formatting updates, new save DC's, and a few feat changes; so do not be surprised when it happens.

“Goolie”

Goolie (goo-lee)

Medium Humanoid Outsider Aberration
Hit Dice: 1d8+4 ( 9 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
AC: 12 (+1 Dex, +1 Natural), touch 11, flatfooted 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Claw +2 melee (d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +2 melee (d4+1) or fright (every other round)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: fright, spell like abilities
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, blood bubble, dark vision 60 feet, damage reduction 5/special, goolie consumption, goolie insanity, immunity to poison, immunity to mind affecting effects, resistance to cold 5, resistance to electricity 5, outsider traits
Saves: Fort +2(+3), Ref +2(+3), Will +3(+4)
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10 (effective 3)
Skills: Disguise +4, Hide +3(+4), Listen +1(+2), Move Silently +2(+3), Spot +2(+3)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Toughness
Environment: Near any populated area
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-5), Tribe (sp.)
Challenge Rating: 2
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Advancement: (2-10HD)

Description:

Goolies are not undead; they are Outsider Creatures native to the long forgotten Abyssal Plane of Fright. They appear to be made of animated skin, with eye balls floating in their eye sockets, filled with a blackish gelatin type substance that has the consistency of smoke, but instead acts like a weightless fluid. When a Goolie is damaged, it simply looses part of itself, which it leaves behind floating like a bubble in the wind. Should the blood bubble impact anything, it splatters as though it had fallen from a great height. Living creatures run the risk of being infected by Goolie blood, going insane, and eventually being drawn to the Goolie Mother where they are transformed into Goolie young.

Goolies feed off the fear of sentient beings. But not just any fear, more specifically they feed off the moment of fear that occurs when someone is startled, shocked, horrified, or otherwise reflexively driven to sudden and complete terror. To a Goolie, frightening someone is more then just a means to feed, it is an art form. Once an intelligent creature has been frightened to death, the Goolie can either possess that victims body, possess that victim’s skin, or consume that victim’s skin to empower itself; each activity with its own risks and rewards to the Goolie.

Young Goolies tend to pray on the sick and elderly, as they pose less of a challenge and succumb to death by fright much sooner then healthier, younger, people. Once a Goolie gains strength, and more of its powers, it will have to prey on stronger victims in order to grow.

Combat / Abilities:

Aberration traits (Ex):
A Goolie is an outsider but also shares some Abortion qualities. Most importantly being no distinguishable head or limbs. If it was not for the need to possess the skin of creatures with such things, a Goolie would have no need for them and thus is unaffected by anything that suggests the need for limbs. If a limb or head is cut off, the Goolie will simply fill in the space with more of itself.

Damage Reduction (Ex):
Goolies have 5/- damage reduction against any physical attack except Piercing, and Slashing weapons; regardless of enchantment.

IMPORTANT!! A Goolie is unaffected by ANY and ALL Heal type spells, or their reverse “Wound” type spells.

Goolie Spell like Abilities: (Caster level = 3 + HD )
1-3 HD: (at will, free action) = Ghost Sound, Flare, (3/day, standard action) = Darkness, Disguise Self, Silence, Silent Image (1/day, standard action) = Gaseous Form

4-6 HD: (at will, free action) = Ghost Sound, Flare, (3/day, standard action) = Darkness, Alter Self, Minor Image, Silence, (1/day, standard action) = Gaseous Form, Summon 1 Shadow (for 1d4 turns)

7-9 HD: (at will, free action) = Ghost Sound, Flare (at will, standard action) Darkness, Minor Image, Silence (3/day, standard action) = Gaseous Form, Gentle Repose, Hold Portal (1/day, standard action) = Summon d4 Shadows (for 1d4 turns)

10 HD: (at will, free action) = Ghost Sound, Flare, Darkness, Major Image (at will, standard action) Gaseous Form, Gentle Repose, Hold Portal, Silence (1/day, standard action) = Shadow Walk, Summon 2d4 Shadows (for 1d4 turns)

Fright (Su):
Once, every other combat round, Goolies can attempt to frighten a single intelligent creature within 30 feet of it. It takes a standard action, for concentration, during which the Goolie is flat footed. The target makes a Will save (DC=12 +1/HD of Goolie). If failed the Goolie chooses one of three effects.

- Flee: The frightened creature will run in a straight line, directly away from the Goolie at its fastest movement rate, ignoring all perils or obvious dangers, for d3 rounds. If the danger is certain death, such as running off a cliff or into a raging fire, the frightened creature can make another Will save (DC=12, +1/HD of Goolie, max DC=18), to break the fear instantly. Otherwise they continue to run to their doom.

- Freeze: The frightened creature is frozen in place, unable to act, as if affected by a hold spell, for d6 rounds as visions of terror invade its mind. Any lethal damage dealt to a frozen target allows the target to make another Will save (DC=12, +1/HD of Goolie, max DC=14) The Goolie can release a target from Freeze at will.

- *Soul Scar: The frightened creature takes 1d6 +1d6 per 2 HD of the Goolie, lethal psychic damage, and is shaken by mental images of its own soul being ripped apart by unseen forces. The victim suffers a -1 to all actions for 1 round per HD of the Goolie, unless already infected by Goolie blood. (subsequent successful attacks cause damage but penalties do not stack)

*If a creature dies as a result of Soul Scaring their skin separates from their bodies and is usable by the Goolie.

Battle Tactics: (to be added)

Goolie Blood Bubble (Ex):
Any time a Goolie takes damage, it looses a bit of itself permanently and will not heal until it can consume. (See Ecology: Goolie Consumption) Anything adjacent to a Goolie, when it’s physically damaged, runs the chance of being impacted by a released blood bubble. A Goolie slain in a single massive attack (doing 70% or more of its HP in damage), will explode like a balloon threatening all within a 10 foot diameter. The impact of a Blood Bubble is impossible to feel by any means.

Because the blood bubbles are small nearly translucent grey smoke, there is only a slight chance that anyone facing that direction will notice the incoming Blood Bubble. Those actively paying attention to the Goolie make a Spot (DC=12). There is no check necessary if the Goolie Explodes (it’s obvious enough). Those not actively paying attention make a Spot (DC=18). Those who see an incoming Blood Bubble make a Reflex Save (DC=10 +1 per 3HP damage, max DC=18) to avoid it. Those who do not see an incoming blood bubble are rolled secretly by the DM Reflex Save (DC=12 +1 per 3HP damage, max DC=18) Exploding Goolies force all those within 10 feet to make a Reflex save DC=20.

If no one witnesses the impacting of the blood bubble, then the DM will roll secretly for the onset of insanity.

Goolie Insanity (Ex): (Infection/Disease)

Stage One: Infection
Each time a Goolies blood bubble impacts on any creature, with an Intelligence of at least 3, that creature must make a Will save (DC=12 +1 per 2HD of the Goolie, rounded down) or be infected. (EX: 6HD is DC=15).

Stage Two: Symptoms
An infected creature has a -4 to all attacks, skills, feats, saves, and ability rolls, due to an overwhelming anxiety that slowly begins to drive them mad. (If DM rolled secretly, apply all penalties in secret.) A “Remove Fear” (Clr Lvl 1) spell will remove any symptoms of infection for the spells duration. (To some, this symptom free time may appear as a cure!)

Stage Three: Infection Advances
(4D6) hours after infection, and every 24 hours there after, the infected creature must make an Intelligence check against Onset Insanity (DC=10 +1 per 2HD of Goolie, +1 for each day after the first (Max +5 at 5 days). Success brings an infection advance, and re-roll with penalties, after 24 hours. Failure results in the immediate onset of insanity.

A “Remove Disease” (Clr Lvl 3) spell cast prior to the onset of insanity allows the infected an instant “free” attempt at a Will Save against the onset of insanity. (DC is equal to the most previous advance.) If successful the next advance of Onset Insanity is skipped entirely. (The infection is in hibernation and no Intelligence check is required until it wakes up in 24 hours.) If failed the next advance is rolled normally. (Only one such attempt is possible per advance)

Sp. Note: Any time before Onset Insanity a “Restoration” (Clr Lvl 4), cast by a Cleric of at least level 10, allows an immediate Will Save. (DC is equal to the most previous advance.) Success cures the infection. (Only one such attempt is possible for each Infection Advance)

Example: 13 Intelligence Victim Infected by a 7HD Goolie, on the second day, has an Onset Insanity check of DC=15. (DC=10, +3 ‘6HD’, +2 ‘2 days’.) Due to the victims high Int she receives a +1 to her roll. She rolls a 19 (18 + 1 Int Adj.) and resists Onset Insanity for another 24 hours, until the next advance.

Later that day the victim receives a Restoration spell and has a Will save DC=15 (Same as before) to remove the infection entirely. She has a Wisdom of 8 (-1 adjustment). The result of the roll is 13. (14 -1Wis Adj.) She fails to destroy the infection and must wait till the next advance occurs before trying again…

The next day (24 hours after the last advancement check) she has an Onset Insanity check of DC=16. (DC=10, +3 ‘6HD’, +3 ‘3 days’.) If successful she can try another Restoration to destroy the infection. However, she rolls a 15 (14 +1 Int Adj.) and suffers the Onset of Insanity… At this point there is no use trying another Restoration as it will have no effect. (See Stage Four: Onset insanity)

Stage Four: Onset Insanity (full infection)
If the creature fails any insanity check it immediately goes insane, looses all sense of logic (Effective Intelligence becomes 3), is overwhelmed with paranoia and the belief that the only safe place is in some distant seclusion; which is actually the lair of the Goolie Mother.

If the insanity victim is not restrained against its will, it will eventually make its way to the Goolie Mother’s lair, or die trying to get there. Once it reaches the lair, the victim is transformed by the Goolie Mother into a Goolie and set loose onto the world. Any victim that is successfully restrained against its will to leave, will slowly loose 1 point of intelligence permanently, each day, until brain dead. A “Greater Restoration” (Clr Lvl 7), cast by a Cleric of at least level 15, will destroy the infection any time before the victims Intelligence is reduced to 0..

SP. Note: Any creature that goes brain dead is irretrievable by anything less then Divine Intervention.

Stage Five: Transformation
See “Goolie Transformation”

Advancement / Ecology:

Goolie Transformation:
When an intelligent creature is infected with Goolie Insanity, it has already begun the transformation into a Goolie, but must still be seeded by a Goolie Mother. If an insanity infected creature is not seeded it will slowly degenerate until brain dead. (See: Goolie Insanity) Should an insanity infected creature make it to the Goolie Mother’s Lair, the Goolie mother incases the victim in a cocoon of hardened black gelatin, resembling Goolie Blood. The cocoon is hollow on the inside, and supplies breathable air to the trapped creature. But restricts movement to all the extremities save the face and head. The trapped victim is left helpless, unable to move or hear anything but its own screaming. From the outside of the cocoon, all that’s heard of the victims torment is a faint muffled gurgle…

While incased in the black coffin of gelatin, screaming in terror as the insanity ravages its brain, the victim is infused with the essence of fright; during which The Goolie young gains strength and begins to coalesce inside the victims mouth. Upon the victim’s last screeching breath of fear, the Goolie finely hatches from its dimensional incubator and erupts from the victims mouth in a spray of grey black fluid, quickly filling the cavity left within the cocoon. A few moments later, the new born Goolie simply slides out of the cocoon in its full glory; a hovering bag of flesh filled with a smoky black fluid and floating eyes in its flesh sockets. Any creature that is successfully transformed into a Goolie is forever gone; its essence ripped apart by fright and consumed by the new born Goolie. Only a God with the Fright portfolio can reverse it.

Goolie Consumption:
When a Goolie frightens an intelligent creature to death the victim’s soul is scarred and corrupted. As the soul leaves the victim, the corpse’s flesh and bones begin to slip out of its skin. To finish the process, the Goolie uses its unique power to do one of three things to its victim’s corps. Each of which ruins the corps’ skin preventing any future attempt.

- Skin Consumption - A Goolie that has been wounded is incapable of any possessions and must first heal itself. Its does so by actually consuming the skin of a victim. The Goolie does so by calling to the skin; which has become loose from the victims traumatic death. After which the victims skin leaps off the corpse, Transforms into the same consistency as the Goolie’s blood, and then streams into the Goolies mouth. Some extremely powerful Goolies can even call to the skin of living victims! (See: Fear Fleshed Goolie.)

A Goolie that successfully consumes any new victim’s skin regenerates itself back to full Hit Points by the end of the process. An undamaged Goolie that successfully consumes a victim’s skin that is at least half the Goolies current HD rounded down, will boost its own life force and begins to gain HD and new powers. (See: Goolie Spell like Powers.) A Goolie will gain 1 HD for consuming as many victims’ skins as it has HD, plus one. If a Goolie is even remotely damaged, the next skin simply returns the Goolie to maximum HP, after which it must consume the rest of the necessary skins to gain HD. Goolies never lose HD, or partial HD, when damaged; only HP’s.

Example: a 5 HD Goolie must consume 6 Skins, from creatures with at least 2 HD, to gain its 6th HD, an 8HD Goolie must consume 9 Skins, from creatures with at least 4HD, to gain its 9th HD. See: Goolie Advancement

Sp Note: When a Goolie reaches 10HD it can begin the metamorphosis into a Greater Goolie and then ultimately into a Fear Fleshed Goolie. (See: Greater Goolie, Fear Fleshed Goolie)

- Skin Possession - An undamaged Goolie, instead of consuming its victim’s skin, can shed its current skin and slip in under the skin of its new victim; pushing the corpses flesh and bones out in the process. The Goolie rises up off the corpse, new skin intact, much like one would imagine a soul leaving a body and floating to heaven. Except a Goolie doesn’t go to heaven. The skin left behind by the Goolie turns to flesh colored ooze within a few minutes of being shed. A Goolie who’s Skin Possession is interrupted, is extremely vulnerable and may be killed quite easily by simply moving the corpse being consumed. Once a Goolie sheds its current skin it has a few precious moments (1d4 rounds to complete) to re-possess a new victims skin, and can’t move more then a few feet in any direction; (Move= 5’/rd) otherwise there is nothing holding the Goolie together and it will simply spill out across the floor, quickly evaporating.

- Body Possession – An undamaged Goolie of at least 5 HD can possess the entire body of a victim at the cost of its own life force. The Goolie sheds its current skin, but instead of slipping in under its new victim’s skin and regenerating itself, the Goolie crawls inside the body, through the victim’s mouth. It then expands within the body’s circulatory system and displaces all the blood in the corpse, letting it seep out all over the floor. Once all the victims’ blood has been expelled from the corpse the Goolie infuses the flesh and bones with its own energy, effectively using its own life force like fuel. (This process takes 1d4 rounds to complete and has the same vulnerabilities as Skin Possession!) The corpse then springs to life, under the total control of the Goolie. A normal Goolie has no access to any class ability or spell like power the body had in life, but has full access to any Extraordinary, and Supernatural powers granted by race. Like a Doppelgangers “Change Shape” ability.

Possessing a body is a very risky option for the Goolie as the body needs a constant source of energy to remain effectively alive. The Goolie immediately looses 1d8 HP upon possession of a body and 1d8 HP every day there after, and loses 1HP each time it uses a body’s special ability. Unless a Goolie can scare another victim to death, consume its skin, and then possess another victims skin before it’s too late, the Goolie will eventually use up all its life energy and die. Many a Goolie that possessed a body have died before finding a new host, thus very few Goolies are foolhardy enough to attempt it unless it feels its life depends on the risk. Fortunately for others, there are a few tell tale signs of Goolie possession.

A body possessed by a Goolie has very loose skin, and unless the body is that of an elderly person there is a good chance of noticing the sagging skin. A Goolie possessing a young body must be inspected within 25 feet. (Spot Check DC=12) A Goolie possessing an elderly corpse must be directly inspected within 5 feet (Spot Check DC=20)

Most experienced Goolies realize their vulnerability and attempt to hide themselves using their disguise and hide skills. The possessed body also lacks any body heat or heart beat, and will not eat. Anyone paying close attention will notice.

Goolie Advancement:
HD___CR____Att___Abilities___________Saves_____________Bonus Feats/Abilities
2_____+0____+0____+1 Wis, +1 Str______+1 Will, +1Fort______________________
3_____+1____+1____+1 AC*_____________________________Deceitful_________
4_____+1____+1____+1 Dex, +1 Str______+1 Will, +1Fort_____New Spell Like Abilities**
5_____+1____+0____+1 AC*______________________________________________
6_____+2____+1____+1 Wis, +1 Str______+1 Will, +1 Ref_____Dodge___________
7_____+1____+1____+1 AC*_____________________________New Spell Like Abilities**
8_____+1____+0____+1 Dex, +1 Str______+1 Will, +1Fort______________________
9_____+1____+1____+1 AC*_____________________________Mobility___________
10____+2____+1____+1 Wis, +1 Str______+1 Will, +1 Ref_____New Spell Like Abilities**
* Natural Armor Bonus
** See Spell Like Abilities

Goolie (10 HD) Before Metamorphosis

Hit Dice: 10d8+13 ( 63 hp)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
AC: 17 (+2 Dex, +5 Natural), touch 12, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+10
Attack: Claw +12 melee (d4+3)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +12 melee (d4+3) or Fright (every other round)
Special Attacks: Fright, Spell Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, blood bubble, dark vision 60 feet, damage reduction 5/special, goolie consumption, goolie insanity, immunity to poison, immunity to mind affecting effects, resistance to cold 5, resistance to electricity 5, outsider traits
Saves: Fort +5(+6), Ref +5(+7), Will +9(+11)
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 10 (effectively 3)
Skills: Disguise +13(+15), Hide +12(+14), Listen +3(+5), Move Silently +6(+8), Spot +5(+7),
Feats: Improved Initiative, Toughness, Deceitful, Dodge, Mobility
Challenge Rating: 12

Goolie Ascendance:
Ascending to Greater Goolie.

Last edited:

Quin Haden

First Post
“Greater Goolie”

Greater Goolie

Hit Dice: 11d8+25 ( 80 hp)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
AC: 18 (+2 Dex, +6 Natural), touch 12, flatfooted 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+10
Attack: Claw +14 melee (d8+4)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +14 melee (d8+4) and blood whip or greater fright (every other round)
Special Attacks: blood whip, greater fright, spell like abilities
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, blood bubble, damage reduction 10/special, dark vision 90 feet, disguise, greater goolie consumption, greater goolie insanity, immunity to poison, immunity to mind affecting effects, resistance to cold 10, resistance to electricity 10, skin heal, outsider traits
Saves: Fort +7(+9), Ref +6(+8), Will +11(+13)
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 10 (effectively 3)
Skills: Bluff +14, Disguise +14(+16), Hide +14(+16), Listen +6(+8), Move Silently +10(+12), Spot +9(+11)
Feats: Deceitful, Dodge, Mobility, Toughness, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack, Power Attack
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 14

Advancement: (12-15HD)

Description:

Except for some minor differences in their non-disguised appearance, Greater Goolies are very similar to normal Goolies … A Greater Goolie no longer suffers from the tell tale signs of loose skin, and floating eyeballs when either in possession of a body, or animating the skin of a victim. For all intents and purposes their inhabitance of their victims person is nearly flawless. (See Abilities: Disguise.)

When not in Disguise, a Greater Goolies differences are much more exaggerated. Instead of being just a hovering husk of skin with floating eyeballs, a Greater Goolies “substance” (the grayish gelatin smoke like blood that fills it in) is bursting out of invisible seems within its skin in light wisps of smoke that seem to spiral into each other and swirl around the outside of its flesh; except the smoke never dissipates. Every now and then the wisps of smoke that are spiraling will break and lash out like a whip. (See Abilities: Blood Whip)

Combat / Abilities:

Aberration Traits (Ex):
A Greater Goolie is an outsider but also shares some Abortion qualities. Most importantly being no distinguishable head or limbs. If it was not for the need to possess the skin of creatures with such things, a Goolie would have no need for them and thus is unaffected by anything that suggests the need for limbs. If a limb or head is cut off, the Goolie will simply fill in the space with more of itself.

Blood Whip (Ex):
Instead of using a Spell Like Power, a Greater Goolie can instead opt to lash out, intentionally snapping one of the many spirals of smoky blood that wraith around its figure, like a whip. This can only be done when not disguised, and is considered a free action touch attack, in addition to its normal full attack, using its BAB. If the target it struck see Greater Goolie Insanity.

Damage Reduction (Ex):
Greater Goolies have 10/- damage reduction against any physical attack except Piercing, and Slashing weapons; regardless of enchantment.

Disguise (Ex):
A Greater Goolie can subdue its natural state and call on its current skin to seal up its gaps, tighten itself up, and appear as if it was normal flesh, as a standard action, at will. To any but the most discriminating investigator, the Greater Goolie appears to be completely normal. Spot/Search (DC=30, +1 per HD above 11).

IMPORTANT!! While disguised a Greater Goolie can not use any other ability, including spell like powers.

Skin Heal (Ex):
A damaged Greater Goolie can call forth a stored skin at will as a full action in order to heal itself… In doing so it sheds its current skin as a puddle of flesh colored ooze, and calls forth a stored skin. This process is uninterruptible and takes the entire round, after which the Goolie is healed for 3D8+20 HP, and switches to the stored skin. (See Ecology: Skin Consumption)

IMPORTANT!! A Greater Goolie is unaffected by ANY and ALL Heal type spells, or their reverse “Wound” type spells.

Greater Goolie Spell like Abilities: (Caster level = 3 + HD )

11-12HD: At will, free action -- Darkness, Flare, Hold Portal, Major Image, Obscuring Mist, Silence; At will, standard action -- Daze Monster, Gaseous Form, Gentle Repose, Shadow Conjuration, Shadow Walk, Summon 1 Shadow (Max of 8 at once); 1/day, standard action -- Phantasmal Killer, Summon (1-3) Greater Shadows (for 2d4 turns);

13-14HD: At will, free action -- Arcane Lock, Darkness, Major Image, Obscuring Mist, Silence; At will, standard action -- Daze Monster, Gaseous Form, Gentle Repose, Shadow Conjuration, Shadow Walk, Summon 1 Shadows (Max of 10 at once) 1/day, standard action -- Insanity, Phantasmal Killer, Summon (1-6) Greater Shadows (for 2d4 turns)

15HD: At will, free action -- Arcane Lock, Darkness, Daze Monster, Major Image, Obscuring Mist, Silence; At will, standard action -- Gaseous Form, Gentle Repose, Shadow Conjuration, Shadow Walk, Summon 2 Shadows (Max of 12 at once); 2/day, standard action -- Insanity, Nightmare, Phantasmal Killer, Summon (1-6) Greater Shadows (for 2d4 turns)

Greater Goolie Fright (Su):
This ability functions much like normal Goolie Fright, except it can effect 1d4 targets (rolled before each use) and has heightened effects.

Once, every other combat round, Goolies can attempt to frighten d4 intelligent creatures within 40 feet of it. It takes a standard action, for concentration, during which the Goolie is flat footed. The target makes a Will save (DC=12, +1/HD of Goolie). If failed the Goolie chooses one of three effects.

- Flee: The frightened creature will run in a straight line, directly away from the Goolie at its fastest movement rate, ignoring all perils or obvious dangers, for 2d4 rounds. If the danger is certain death, such as running off a cliff or into a raging fire, the frightened creature can make another Will save (DC=20), to break the fear instantly. Otherwise they continue to run to their doom.

- Freeze: The frightened creature is frozen in place, unable to act, as if affected by a hold spell, for 2d4 rounds as visions of terror invade its mind. The frozen target also takes d4 Temporary Strength damage. Strength returns at one point an hour. The Greater Goolie can release a target from Freeze at will.

- *Soul Scar: The frightened creature takes 5d6+5, & 1d6+1 per HD above 10, lethal psychic damage, and is shaken by mental images of its own soul being ripped apart by unseen forces. The victim suffers a -3 to all actions for 1 round per HD of the Goolie, unless already infected by Goolie blood. (subsequent successful attacks cause effects but penalty timer is reset not stacked)

*If a creature dies as a result of Soul Scaring their skin separates from their bodies and is usable by the Goolie.

Blood Bubble (Ex):
Any time a Greater Goolie takes damage, it looses a bit of itself permanently and will not heal until it can consume or calls forth a new skin. (See Ability: Skin Heal.) (See Ecology: Goolie Consumption) Anything adjacent to a Goolie, when it’s physically damaged, runs the chance of being impacted by a released blood bubble. A Goolie slain in a single massive attack (doing 70% or more of its HP in damage), will explode like a balloon threatening all within a 10 foot diameter. The impact of a Blood Bubble is impossible to feel by any means.

Because the blood bubbles are small nearly translucent grey smoke, there is only a slight chance that anyone facing that direction will notice the incoming Blood Bubble. Those actively paying attention to the Goolie make a Spot DC=12. There is no check necessary if the Goolie Explodes (it’s obvious enough). Those not actively paying attention make a Spot DC=18. Those who see an incoming Blood Bubble make a Reflex save (DC=10 +1 per 3HP damage, max DC=18) to avoid it. Those who do not see an incoming blood bubble are rolled secretly by the DM (DC=12 +1 per 3HP damage, max DC=18) Exploding Greater Goolies force all those within 10 feet to make a Reflex save DC=24.

If no one witnesses the impacting of the blood bubble, then the DM will roll secretly for the onset of insanity.

Greater Goolie Insanity (Ex):

Each time a Greater Goolies blood bubble, or blood whip, impacts on any creature, with an Intelligence of at least 3, that creature must make a Will save (DC=14 +1 per 2HD of the Goolie, rounded down) or be infected. (EX: 13HD is DC=20).

An infected creature has a -5 to all attacks, skills, feats, saves, and ability rolls, due to an overwhelming anxiety that slowly begins to drive them mad. (If DM rolled secretly, apply all penalties in secret.) A “Remove Fear” (Clr Lvl 1) spell will remove any symptoms of infection for the spells duration. (To some, this symptom free time may appear as a cure!)

(2D6) hours after infection, and every 12 hours there after, the infected creature must make an Intelligence check against Onset Insanity (DC=12 +1 per 2HD of Goolie, +1 for each 12 hours after the first (Max +10 at 5 days). Success brings an infection advance, and re-roll with penalties, after 12 hours. Failure results in the immediate onset of insanity.

A “Remove Disease” (Clr Lvl 3) spell cast prior to the onset of insanity allows the infected an instant “free” attempt at a Will Save against the onset of insanity. (DC is equal to the most previous advance.) If successful the next advance of Onset Insanity is skipped entirely. (The infection is in hibernation and no Intelligence check is required until it wakes up in 12 hours.) If failed the next advance is rolled normally. (Only one such attempt is possible per advance)

Sp. Note: Any time before Onset Insanity a “Restoration” (Clr Lvl 4), cast by a Cleric of at least level 15, allows an immediate Will Save. (DC is equal to the most previous advance.) Success cures the infection. (Only one such attempt is possible for each Infection Advance)

*For Examples of stage three please see normal Goolie description.

If the creature fails any insanity check it immediately goes insane, looses all sense of logic (Effective Intelligence becomes 3), is overwhelmed with paranoia and the belief that the only safe place is in some distant seclusion; which is actually the lair of the Goolie Mother.

If the insanity victim is not restrained against its will, it will eventually make its way to the Goolie Mother’s lair, or die trying to get there. Once it reaches the lair, the victim is transformed by the Goolie Mother into a Goolie and set loose onto the world. Any victim that is successfully restrained against its will to leave, will slowly loose 1 point of intelligence permanently, every 12 hours, until brain dead. A “Greater Restoration” (Clr Lvl 7), cast by a Cleric of at least level 20, will destroy the infection any time before the victims Intelligence is reduced to 0… And any creature that goes brain dead is irretrievable by anything less then Divine Intervention.

Advancement / Ecology:

Goolie Transformation:
When an intelligent creature is infected with Goolie Insanity, it has already begun the transformation into a Goolie, but must still be seeded by a Goolie Mother. If an insanity infected creature is not seeded it will slowly degenerate until brain dead. (See: Greater Goolie Insanity) Should an insanity infected creature make it to the Goolie Mother’s Lair, the Goolie mother incases the victim in a cocoon of hardened black gelatin, resembling Goolie Blood. The cocoon is hollow on the inside, and supplies breathable air to the trapped creature. But restricts movement to all the extremities save the face and head. The trapped victim is left helpless, unable to move or hear anything but its own screaming. From the outside of the cocoon, all that’s heard of the victims torment is a faint muffled gurgle…

While incased in the black coffin of gelatin, screaming in terror as the insanity ravages its brain, the victim is infused with the essence of fright; during which The Goolie young gains strength and begins to coalesce inside the victims mouth. Upon the victim’s last screeching breath of fear, the Goolie finely hatches from its dimensional incubator and erupts from the victims mouth in a spray of grey black fluid, quickly filling the cavity left within the cocoon. A few moments later, the new born Goolie simply slides out of the cocoon in its full glory; a hovering bag of flesh filled with a smoky black fluid and floating eyes in its flesh sockets. Any creature that is successfully transformed into a Goolie is forever gone; its essence ripped apart by fright and consumed by the new born Goolie. Only a God with the Fright portfolio can reverse it.

Greater Goolie consumption:
Greater Goolies, though not much different then their lesser counterparts, do not suffer nearly as many vulnerabilities during the process of consumption.

- Skin Consumption/Possession – A Greater Goolie no longer has to choose whether or not to possess a victims skin, or consume it, as the acts are now one and the same. Otherwise the process is exactly like that of a normal Goolie.

A Greater Goolie that consumes a victims skin can call that skin to the surface at any time, as though it had possessed it, and not consumed it. (See Ability: Skin Heal) At the same time, a Greater Goolie is fully healed after each skin consumption. A Greater Goolie can have a number of “stored” skins as it has HD above 9. (An 11HD Greater Goolie can store up to two sets of skin.) Any time a Greater Goolie consumes a skin in which it has no room to store, it must immediately shed one already stored, or shad the new one as waste within 1 minute of consuming it. A Greater Goolie that is interrupted while consuming a new skin, can call up a stored skin, as a full action, to defend itself. If the Greater Goolie has no other stored skin, it is vulnerable to evaporation as if it where a normal Goolie.

The act of consumption takes 1d4 rounds, during which the Greater Goolie can only travel at 5’/rd. A Greater Goolie can call forth a stored set of skin as a full action, at will.

- Body Possession – Technically a Greater Goolie no longer needs to possess a victims body in order to pass itself off as a more convincing “copy” of that person, because of its greatly enhanced disguise abilities. Thus if its purpose is simply to blend in, it can do that without endangering its life through possession. However, unlike a normal Goolie, a Greater Goolie that so chooses to possess the body of its victims has much more control over its faculties.

A Greater Goolie possesses a victims body exactly like it would as a normal Goolie, except that it no longer has to shed its current skin in order to do so, and it expends 2d6 HP upon possession and 2d6+2 HP each day there after, as well as 1HP for each use of a special ability, or spell. It maintains all the powers the victim had in life, at a level equal to the Greater Goolies current HD, or the level of the victim who’s body is possessed. (Whichever is lower) The Greater Goolie may only use spells and abilities remaining for that day, and does not gain the ability to memorize, pray, or reset, new spells or abilities based on class. However, it has full access to any Extraordinary, and Supernatural powers granted by race. Like a Doppelgangers “Change Shape” ability.

Example: A 12HD Greater Goolie possesses the body of a 15 Level Mage. It has access to all remaining spells and abilities up to a caster level of 12. (Thus it has no access to any remaining level 7 spells, only level 6 and below) Unfortunately the mage had cast all its level 6 and a few level 3 spells fighting the Goolie, and thus the Goolie is without the most powerful spells. But it has full access to any remaining spells the mage had memorized prior to death. When depleted, the Greater Goolie will “NOT” be able to re-memories any spells, or refresh any abilities granted the victim in life, except for its racial abilities.

Later that day the Greater Goolie possesses the body of a level 10 ranger, and gains use of all the rangers abilities as if it where a level 10 ranger. Any daily limited abilities, and memorized spells, do not refresh at the beginning of the next day.

Note: In order to keep gaining the benefits of its victims classes the Greater Goolie must jump from victim to victim and hope that the next victim had not completely spent its daily allotment of spells, abilities, and skills.

SP. Note: Because a Greater Goolie no longer has to shed its current skin to possess a body it is no longer vulnerable to evaporation during the possession as a normal Goolie is. Unless for some absurd reason the Greater Goolie shed its last set of skin before the possession attempt!

Goolie Advancement:
HD___CR____Att____Abilities___________ Saves____________Bonus Feats/Abilities_______
12_____+0____+1____+1 Wis, +1 Str______+1 Will, +1Fort_____Cleave__________________
13_____+1____+1____+2 AC* +1 Str____ _+1 Ref____________New Spell Like Abilities**__
14_____+0____+1____+1 Dex, +1 Str______+1 Will, +1Fort_____Weapon Focus (+1 Att Claw)
15_____+1____+1____+2 AC* +1 Str______+1 Ref____________New Spell Like Abilities**__
* Natural Armor Bonus
** See Spell Like Abilities

Greater Goolie (15 HD) Before Ascendance

Hit Dice: 15d8+25 ( 108 hp)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
AC: 23 (+3 Dex, +10 Natural), touch 13, flatfooted 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+14
Attack: Claw +21 melee (d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +21 melee (d8+6) and Blood Whip or Greater Fright (every other round)
Special Attacks: Blood Whip, Greater Fright, Spell Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, blood bubble, damage reduction 10/special, dark vision 90 feet, disguise, greater goolie consumption, greater goolie insanity, immunity to poison, immunity to mind affecting effects, resistance to cold 10, resistance to electricity 10, skin heal, outsider traits
Saves: Fort +9(+11), Ref +8(+10), Will +13(+16)
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 10 (effectively 3)
Skills: Bluff +18, Disguise +18(+20), Hide +18(+21), Listen +6(+9), Move Silently +10(+13), Spot +9(+12)
Feats: Cleave, Deceitful, Dodge, Mobility, Toughness, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Claw)
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 16

Combat Tactics:
Tactics depend greatly on the availability of spell like powers, and stored skins.

Before Battle: – Greater Goolies will always be controlling as many shadows as it can summon freely. At 11HD it will be 8 at 15HD it will be 12 but will save its Summon Greater Shadow ability till in eminent danger. Usually to defend its escape. If not in combat, the shadows are used to make the appearance of the Greater Goolie to its victim that much more theatric.

Ambushing: – Greater Goolies will make liberal use of all their illusion powers, and shadows, to confuse its targets and funnel them into an ambush. Where they will have already cast silence and darkness spells to limit their targets spell casting and melee effectiveness.

General Combat: A Greater Goolie understands its own physical frailty and will take all precautions to keep a safe distance from threatening targets, and use its summoned shadows to great effect. (Though unthreatening targets are tempting, often luring it in closer to better witness its victims terror.) It will also have up its least important stored skin, that it does not mind becoming damaged. While at a distance it will first shut down any ranged attacker or spell caster, using Silence, Darkness, and Daze Monster (If effective). After which it will make liberal use of its Blood Whip and Greater Fright abilities. Should an attacker make it within melee range, the Greater Goolie will use gaseous form and attempt to move where the attacker can not follow. After which it will resume its attack.

Fleeing: If a Greater Goolie is reduced to less then 40% health it will use its Summon Greater Shadow ability and attempt to physically flee, leaving the shadows to prevent pursuit. If for some reason it can not, it will attempt to shadow walk. Only when cornered and unable to flee will a Greater Goolie engage in melee combat.

Special: When reduced to 20% or less of its health it will shed its current skin and call forth another, preferably where it can not be seen, and attempt to bluff its attackers, with its “Disguise” ability, into thinking it is a by stander. All the while it will exhaust every possible means in an attempt to flee.

Greater Goolie Ascendance:
Ascending to Fear Fleshed Goolie.

Last edited:

Quin Haden

First Post
“Fear Fleshed Goolie”

Fear Fleshed Goolie

Large Humanoid Outsider Aberration
Hit Dice: 17d8+71 ( 156 hp)
Initiative: +9 (+5 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
AC: 29 (-1 Size, +5 Dex, +15 Natural), touch 15, flatfooted 25
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+16
Attack: Claw +25 melee (d10+9)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +25 melee (d10+9) or Special Attack
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Call flesh, cyclone of screams, spell like abilities
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, blood bubble, damage reduction 15/special, dark vision 120 feet, immunity to poison, immunity to mind affecting effects, immunity to cold, immunity to electricity, improved disguise, outsider traits
Saves: Fort +12(+16), Ref +10(+15), Will +16(+20)
Abilities: Str 24(+7), Dex 20(+5), Con 18(+4), Int 14(+2), Wis 18(+4), Cha 14(+2) (effectively 3)
Skills: Bluff +20(+25), Hide +20(+25), Listen +17(+23), Move Silently +20(+25), Spot +20(+26)
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Bluff), Toughness, Weapon Focus (Claw), Weapon Specialization (Claw)
Challenge Rating: 20

Advancement: (17-25 HD)

The near pinnacle of Goolie evolution… a Fear Fleshed Goolie is no longer bound by the flesh of lesser beings but is held intact by the fear of each and every one of its victims. At first sight, a Fear Fleshed Goolie appears to be nothing more then a large lanky humanoid shaped blob of blackish gelatin, surrounded by a shimmering field of oscillating white and red colored light that spins around its figure in dazzling spirals. Its long arms end in wicked fingers almost as long as its forearms.

Upon closer inspection one notices that the white and red shimmering field, surrounding the figure like its skin, is actually made of eyeless ghostly faces, mouths agape in terror, with unrecognizable contorted complexions and a low almost inaudible cacophony of screams can be heard emanating from it.

Combat / Abilities:

Aberration traits (Ex):
A Fear Fleshed Goolie is an outsider but also shares some Abortion qualities. Most importantly being no distinguishable head or limbs. If it was not for the need to possess the skin of creatures with such things, a Goolie would have no need for them and thus is unaffected by anything that suggests the need for limbs. If a limb or head is cut off, the Goolie will simply fill in the space with more of itself.

Damage Reduction (Ex):
Fear Fleshed Goolies have 15/- damage reduction against all physical attacks except those made by Vorpal, Keen, or Wounding, slashing or piercing weapons. Regardless of enhancement bonus.

Improved Disguise (Ex):
A Fear Fleshed Goolie can summon up any skin it has ever consumed and appear as if it was its normal flesh, as a standard action, at will. (physical size also adjusts to fit the skin.) The Fear Fleshed Goolie appears to be completely normal and nothing short of a True Seeing spell can tell otherwise. Any damage to a skin can be repaired with a single round of concentration. (This does not heal the Goolie but merely repairs the skin.) A Fear Fleshed Goolie loses the use of any and all other abilities, including spell like abilities, while Disguised. The only exceptions are its Arcane Lock, Darkness, Detect Magic, Detect Thoughts, Shadow Walk, and Suggestion Spell Like Abilities, which it can use freely while disguised.

Murmur (Su):
The skin of a Fear Fleshed Goolie is always telepathically screaming and calling out in agony… Any intelligent creature that gets within 5 feet of it must make a Will Save (DC=26) or suffer 1d4 permanent Constitution damage from a weakening heart.

Cyclone of Screams (Su):
Once every 5 rounds, a Fear Fleshed Goolie can release a cyclone of screams from its skin, as all the skins faces stretch out like trumpets, that radiates out in all directions for 30 yards. While its flesh is screaming, the Fear Fleshed Goolie barely resembles its humanoid norm, but more like a porcupine of disembodies heads stretching out in all directions, loosing screams of petrifying agony.

The cyclone created resembles a natural dust filled cyclone except the dust is filled with the vestiges of screaming faces… Any intelligent creature, that is able to see or hear, must make a Will Save (DC=30) or be paralyzed with fear for 2d4 rounds and take 3d6+15 HP damage from hemorrhaging of the eyes and ears, which ooze blood profusely. Creatures without eyes or ears, or are somehow completely isolated from those two senses, are immune to this effect.

Spell Like Abilities: (Caster level = 3 + HD)

17-20HD: At will, free action -- Arcane Lock, Darkness, Detect Magic, Detect Thoughts,
Shadow Walk; At will, standard action -- Dispel Magic, Persistent Image, Phantasmal Killer, Shadow Evocation, Suggestion, Summon 1 Greater Shadow (Max of 6 at once); 3/day, standard action -- Insanity, Mind Fog, Nightmare, Summon 1d6 Greater Goolies (for 2d4 turns), Teleport;

21-24HD: At will, free action -- Arcane Lock, Darkness, Detect Magic, Detect Thoughts, Dispel Magic,
Shadow Walk; At will, standard action -- Persistent Image, Phantasmal Killer, Shadow Evocation, Suggestion, Summon 2 Greater Shadow (Max of 9 at once); 3/day, standard action -- Insanity, Mind Fog, Nightmare, Summon 2d4 Greater Goolies (for 2d4 turns), Teleport;

25HD: At will, free action -- Arcane Lock, Darkness, Detect Magic, Detect Thoughts, Dispel Magic,
Persistent Image, Shadow Walk; At will, standard action -- Greater Shadow Evocation, Phantasmal Killer, Suggestion, Summon 2 Greater Shadow (Max of 12 at once); 3/day, standard action -- Greater Teleport, Insanity, Mind Fog, Nightmare, Summon 2d6 Greater Goolies (for 2d4 turns);

Call Flesh (Su):
A Fear Fleshed Goolie no longer has to wait for the death of its victims to call their skin! Every other round, at will, a Fear Fleshed Goolie can call to the flesh of its target to release its skin. The action does not require any concentration once initiated, but the Fear Fleshed Goolie is Flat Footed for the remainder of the round in which the Call Flesh begins. If damaged during the initial round the Call Flesh is initiated, the call fails and the Fear Fleshed Goolie must wait to use the ability again as normal… The target still takes 5d6+5 HP of damage and loses any actions that round.

The target must make a Will Save (DC=26 + 1 per goolie HD above 17) or have its skin ripped from its flesh. Even if successful the target takes 5d6+5 HP damage and loses any actions that round. If unsuccessful the process takes the rest of the round in which it is initiated, as well as the following round during which the victim is incapable of any action, save writhing on the floor in agony, as its skin peals itself off in one huge chunk. At the end of the following round the victim skin completes separation and forces it to make a Fortitude Save (DC=22 +1 per goolie HD above 17) or die outright… A successful save reduces the target to 10% of its total HP instantly, as it no longer has any skin, during which it bleeds to death over the next 2 rounds unless a “Heal” spell (Clr Lvl 6) is cast on it. The Heal does not allow the victim to re-grow its skin! It merely stops the bleeding… The victim can not be healed by any means until it grows new skin… During the time in which the victim has no skin it has a -12 to all actions requiring a roll. To re-grow skin a “Regenerate” spell (Clr Lvl 7) is required. Skin grows back in 1 turn.

To make matters even worse, the skin takes with it any equipment worn or used by the victim prior to losing its skin, and the Goolie can choose to either consume the skin (See: Consumed Skin) or animate the skin under its control!! (See: Animated Skin) Leaving the victim skinless, without equipment, and rapidly bleeding to death…

- Animated Skin:
Animated skin has as an equal number of HD as the victim, but half as many HP as the victim had prior to losing its skin, yet has its full base attack score, saves, and can use any magic item on person at the time of the flaying. (The skin does not have access to any feats, or special abilities not granted by items) Controlling the skin is a subconscious activity and requires no active concentration by the Fear Fleshed Goolie. A Fear Fleshed Goolie can have up to 2 skins animated at once, +1 skin for every 2 HD above 17. (Max 6 at 25HD) There is no maximum duration that skin can be animated.

Example: A Lvl 20 Warrior had 120 HP left when his skin was called, was wearing his +3 full plate and dual wielding his twin +3 vorpal axes. Thus his skin now has 60HP, an AC of 21, a BAB of +20, level 20 warrior saves (Plus bonuses from items), and is wielding two +3 vorpal axes. And is under complete control of the Fear Fleshed Goolie.

- Consumed Skin:
A Fear Fleshed Goolie can consume a flesh called skin instantly, including any skin currently animated! A consumed skin heals the Fear Fleshed Goolie for d8+2 HP for every HD of the skin (See: Animated Skin). Any excess HP gained last for 2 turns (20 minutes). Expiration of these extra HP can never reduce the Fear Fleshed Goolie to under 1HP. Any items and equipment accompanying a consumed skin must make a disenchant save (DC=23) or become disenchanted as if touched by a Rod of Cancellation.

Consuming Skin is the only means in which a Fear Fleshed Goolie can heal itself, and a means in which a Fear Fleshed Goolie grows stronger… It requires 25 times (+5 per HD above 17) its current HD, in victims HD, in order to gain another HD in its advancement. The victim must also be no less then 3HD below the Fear Fleshed Goolies current HD. (See: Fear Fleshed Ascendance)

Example: A 17HD Fear Fleshed Goolie needs to consume 425 HD (17x25) in victims skin, each at least 14HD, to reach 18HD. At 18HD the Fear Fleshed Goolie needs to consume 540 HD (18x30) in victims, each at least 15 HD, to reach 19 HD… etc…

Blood Bubble (Ex):
Any time a Fear Fleshed Goolie takes damage, it looses a bit of itself permanently and will not heal until it can consume a skin. (See Ability: Call Flesh, - Consumed Skin.) Anything adjacent to a Goolie, when it’s physically damaged, runs the chance of being impacted by a released blood bubble. A Goolie slain in a single massive attack (doing 70% or more of its HP in damage), will explode like a balloon threatening all within a 20 foot diameter.

Unlike lesser Goolies, a Fear Fleshed Goolies blood bubbles merge with the shadow plane and are completely invisible, unless the creature can see into the shadow plane (if so See: Greater Goolie, Description). Thus no spot checks are performed… Only a Reflex Save DC=15 + 1 per 3HP damage, max DC=30 to avoid it. An exploding Fear Fleshed Goolie forces all within a 20 foot diameter to make a Reflex Save DC=40.

If an intelligent creature is impacted by a blood bubble, then it runs the risk of being infected by Fear Fleshed Goolie Insanity. (See Ability: Fear Fleshed Goolie Insanity) The impact of a Blood Bubble is impossible to feel by any means.

Fear Fleshed Goolie Insanity (Ex):

Each time a Fear Fleshed Goolies blood bubble, impacts on any creature, with an Intelligence of at least 3, that creature must make a Will save (DC=14 +1 per 2HD of the Fear Fleshed Goolie, rounded down) or be infected. (EX: 17HD is DC=22).

An infected creature has a -5 to all attacks, skills, feats, saves, and ability rolls, due to an overwhelming anxiety that slowly begins to drive them mad. (If DM rolled secretly, apply all penalties in secret.) A “Remove Fear” (Clr Lvl 1) no longer removes the effect!!

(D6) hours after infection, and every 6 hours there after, the infected creature must make an Intelligence check against Onset Insanity (DC=12 +1 per 2HD of Goolie, +1 for each 6 hours after the first (Max +20 at 5 days). Success brings an infection advance, and re-roll with penalties, after 6 hours. Failure results in the immediate onset of insanity.

A “Remove Disease” (Clr Lvl 3) spell no longer puts the infection in hibernation! However, any time before Onset Insanity a “Greater Restoration” (Clr Lvl 7), cast by a Cleric of at least level 20, allows an immediate Will Save. (DC is equal to the most previous advance.) Success cures the infection. (Only one such attempt is possible for each Infection Advance)

If the insanity victim is not restrained against its will, it will eventually make its way to the Goolie Mother’s lair, or die trying to get there. Once it reaches the lair, the victim is transformed by the Goolie Mother into a Goolie and set loose onto the world. Any victim that is successfully restrained against its will to leave, will slowly loose 1 points of intelligence permanently, every 6 hours, until brain dead. There is no way to destroy the infection after Onset Insanity… Except by a wish, or miracle. And any creature that goes brain dead is irretrievable by anything less then Divine Intervention.

Fear Fleshed Goolie Advancement:
HD___CR____Att_____Abilities____________________ Saves___________Bonus Feats/Abilities_______
18_____+0____+1____+1 Wis, +1 Str, +1 Dex_________________________Great Cleave______________
19_____+1____+1____+2 AC* +1 Str, +2 Int__________+1 All Saves______Improved Crit (Claw)_______
20**__ +0____+1____+1 Dex, +1 Str, +1 Con_________________________Overwhelming Crit (Claw)___
21**__ +2____+1____+2 AC* +1 Str, +2 Dex_________+1 All Saves______New Spell Like Abilities***_
22**__ +0____+1____+1 AC* +1 Str, +2 Int__________________________Epic Toughness____________
23**__ +1____+1____+2 AC* +1 Str, +1 Con_________+1 All Saves______Devastating Crit (Claw)_____
24**__ +0____+1____+1 AC* +1 Str, +2 Wis_________________________Epic Combat Reflexes_______
25**__ +2____+1____+2 AC* +1 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con__+1 All Saves______New Spell Like Abilities***_
* Natural Armor Bonus
** Epic Level Encounter
*** See Spell Like Abilities

Fear Fleshed Goolie (Epic 25 HD) Before Ascendance

Large Humanoid Outsider Aberration
Hit Dice: 25d8+170 ( 298 hp)
Initiative: +12 (+8 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
AC: 42 (-1 Size, +8 Dex, +25 Natural), touch 18, flatfooted 35
Base Attack/Grapple: +25/+24
Attack: Claw +25 melee (d10+13) Crit x2 19-20
Full Attack: 2 Claws +25 melee (d10+13) or Special Attack
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Call flesh, cyclone of screams, fright, spell like abilities
Special Qualities: Aberration traits, blood bubble, damage reduction 20/special, dark vision 120 feet, immunity to poison, immunity to mind affecting effects, immunity to cold, immunity to electricity, improved disguise, outsider traits
Saves: Fort +16(+22), Ref +14(+23), Will +20(+25)
Abilities: Str 33(+11), Dex 26(+8), Con 22(+6), Int 18(+4), Wis 21(+5), Cha 14(+2) (effectively 3)
Skills: Bluff +28(+33), Hide +28(+36), Listen +25(+32), Move Silently +28(+36), Spot +28(+35)
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Devastating Critical (Claw), Dodge, Epic Toughness, Epic Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (Claw), Improved Initiative, Overwhelming Critical (Claw), Power Attack, Skill Focus (Bluff), Toughness, Weapon Focus (Claw), Weapon Specialization (Claw)
Challenge Rating: 26

Fear Fleshed Goolie Ascendance:
Ascending to Paragon Goolie. (coming soon)

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Thanks for the props in your intro.

I like what you've done so far, its creative and unconventional, which in my book is always a good thing. :)

BD

Quin Haden

First Post
Thanks, though I am not sure if I should be concerned by the lack of comments, or glad that no one has told me it stinks yet. :)

Either way, I wrote all of that over a year ago and it all needs to be updated significantly.

I have more, a lot more, but I am posting slowly in order to gauge the reaction I receive.

I realize that the Goolie in general is a very complicated creature for someone to use at first. But once you are familiar with the basics they are actually very handy and can be the central theme to quite a few world changing campaigns... As opposed to the various cliché’s.

For me, it is all about variety.

Quin Haden

First Post
Posted in the new format… If I have made any mistakes please let me know.

Bone Specter (CR 15)
LE Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
Init +7; Senses Dark Vision 100 ft; Listen +19, Spot +19
Languages Common, As living race

AC 19, touch 15, flat-footed 15
(+4 Dex, +5 deflection)
Hp 126 (14d12 HD)
Resist N/A
Fort +10 (10), Ref +17 (14), Will +20 (16)

Speed 45 ft. (9 squares)
Melee +17, Incorporeal touch +17/+17 (3d4 Neg. Energy, touch attack) + Bone Trauma + Energy Drain
Ranged +17, Bone Throw +17/+17 (2d4 piercing, + 3d4 Neg. Energy) + Energy Drain
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +13; Grp N/A
Atk Options Bone Throw, Bone Trauma, Call Bones, Create Spawn, Energy Drain
Combat Gear N/A
Spell Like Abilities (CL 14)
At will - Invisibility (Wiz 2) (Standard Action)
3/Day - Fly (Wiz 3)
Supernatural Abilities
3/Day - Spectral Crush

Abilities Str --, Dex 18, Con --, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 21
SQ Darkvision 100 ft, incorporeal traits, +2 turn resistance, sunlight powerlessness, undead traits, Unnatural Aura 60’
Feats Alertness, Blind-Fighting, Improved Initiative, Iron Will
Skills Hide +21, Intimidate +17, Knowledge (religion) +17, Listen +19,
Search +17, Spot +19, Survival +7 (+4 following tracks)
Possessions N/A

Bone Throw (Su) : 5/Day - A Bone Specter can launch a small number of bones from inside its body, in a ranged attack, up to 90 ft. The bones deal 2d4 piercing damage and are charged with the Bone Specters essence. So any living creature hit by it suffers as if they had been successfully touched attacked by the Specter; causing 3d4 Negative Energy and a check for ‘Energy Drain’. If the Specter desires, it can also attempt a ‘Spectral Crush’. Bones launched by the Bone Throw ability are considered destroyed, as they burst/break apart on impact. (A single use feeds both attacks for one round)

Bone Trauma (Su) : Each time a Bone Specter makes a successful touch attack against a living creature with bones, there is a good chance that the bone struck will suffer a fracture or break. First hit results in a fracture, second hit is a break. A fortitude save (DC = 18) will prevent the strike from causing a fracture, or advancing a fracture into a break event.

Sense a Bone Specters melee attack is incorporeal there is no reduction in this chance for wearing armor. Check the table below to determine which body area was struck, and what penalties the target suffers on a fracture and break event. All penalties for different locations stack.
Note: Arm attack/strength penalties are HALF if the effected arm is not the victims weapon arm. The penalties are DOUBLE against spell casting.

Bone Trauma Table (d20 to determine bone struck)
Roll___Body Part___Fracture_______________Break__________________________________
1-4____Left Arm____-2 Attack/Strength_______-4 Attack/Strength & -5% Speed____________
5-7____Left Leg____-25% Speed & -1 Attack__ -45% Speed & -2 Attack__________________
8-9____Ribs (-1Attack/-1 Constitution per event, stacks 4 times.)_________________________
10-11__Head (-2 Int&Wis, +20% fail any action, stacks 4 times… 5th time means DEATH)____
12-13__Ribs (-1Attack/-1 Constitution per event, stacks 4 times.)_________________________
13-16__Right Leg___-25% Speed & -1 Attack__ -45% Speed & -2 Attack__________________
17-20__Right Arm___-2 Attack/Strength_______-4 Attack/Strength & -5% Speed____________

Note: If both arms and both legs are broken the PC is 100% immobilized.

Call Bones (Su) : As a standard action, at will, the Bone Specter can call on any dead bones within 60’ radius. Any bones within that radius will immediately leap into the air and fly straight towards the Bone Specter. The bones strike anything in their way for 3d8+3 damage. Reflex save DC = 17 to avoid damage. A victim that has just died from a Spectral Crush is torn apart by their called bones leaping from their flesh.

When the bones reach the specter, they are absorbed into its body replacing any lost due to the ‘Bone Throw’ ability. Effectively resetting its uses. (back to 5/Day) If the area in question is littered with bones, then it may take more then a few ‘Call Bones’ events to clear the area. (DM Discretion)

Spectral Crush (Su) : 3/Day - On a successful melee touch or ranged ‘Bone Throw’ attack, a Bone Specter can choose to attempt a Spectral Crush on the victim. The victim gets a Will save (DC = 24) to resist the effect. Failure means the victim is surrounded by a Spectral Field that slowly crushes their bones, causing 5d4 +5 Negative Energy Crush damage every round after the first (Will save DC = 24 for half damage, each round). While effected the victim can only move 5 feet per round, all actions (other then saves) suffer a -5, -1/per specter HD above 14, penalty (Max -10), and there is an automatic bone breakage effect, per the Bone Trauma Table…

A Dispel Magic spell (or effect), cast on the victim, will allow the victim a chance to break free of the ‘Spectral Crush’ on their next rounds will save. With a bonus of +1 per caster level above 10 (of the dispel effect). If the will save is successful the victim is freed. A successful Break Enchantment spell (DC = 11 + Specter HD) will immediately free the victim.

If the victim dies from a Spectral Crush, every major bone in their body breaks, some exploding from the skin in a grizzly splash of blood and organs. As a result the victim can only be resurrected with a True Resurrection or Miracle spell.

Energy Drain (Su) : See: Specter (MM1) Fort DC = 17

Create Spawn (Su) : See: Specter (MM1) Victim must be at least 10HD

Unnatural Aura (Su) : See: Specter (MM1) Double range.

Sunlight Powerlessness (Ex) : See: Specter (MM1)

Description:
Bone Specters resemble a normal specter in every way, save for the fact that they are filled with broken shards of bone that seem to line up as if to mimic a humanoids bone structure.

TACTICS: (Round-by-Round)
This is a most likely scenario of the first 4 rounds of combat for a first time encounter…

Round 0 : The Specter assesses its opponents and attempts to determine the strongest melee and the strongest spell caster in the group.

Round 1 : Using its ‘Invisibility’ (Sp) ability, it will sneak up on the strongest melee opponent. (Normally the one in the heaviest armor).
Note: If the Specter is detected, or the invisibility is dispelled, skip to Round 4.

Round 2 : Assuming the Specter is still invisible, it makes a surprise full attack on the designated melee character and uses all of its Incorporeal Touch attacks. (Negates the targets Dexterity bonus). Upon a successful strike, if available, the Specter will attempt a “Spectral Crush”.
Note: If this round is successful continue to Round 3. Otherwise skip to Round 4.

Round 3 : Assuming round 2 was a success, and the melee target is incapacitated by a “Spectral Crush”, the Specter then attempts to use all of its Incorporeal Touch attacks against the designated strongest caster… (Normally the first to cast an offensive spell of 4th level or higher) as a called target strike against the casters head.

Round 4 : If any of the first few rounds where unsuccessful, then the Specter will improvise while trying to complete the basic strategy of ‘Spectral Crushing’ the strongest melee, and beating the skull of the most threatening caster (to reduce their Int/Wis and cause the chance of failure penalty) Otherwise the Specter will back up and begin attacking with its ‘Bone Throw’ ability for the next few rounds.

Further Rounds : It will attempt its second ‘Spectral Crush’, to incapacitate the next most threatening target, only if its HP’s have dropped below 90. (or 70% of max) It will only use its last ‘Spectral Crush’ against the most threatening target, if its HP’s drop below 65 (or 50% of max)… If the Specter runs out of ‘Bone Throw’ uses before the end of battle, it will use its ‘Call Bones’ ability in an attempt to replenish its supply. If it ever runs out of ‘Spectral Crush’ uses, and its HP drop below 50%, it will attempt a fighting retreat… At below 25% health it will attempt to escape without regard.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases