Gaming catchphrases, expressions, and idioms--what are yours?

Zappo

Explorer
Hm... we have those, but they are in Italian. Still...

...think about saying "Resurrectize" instead of "Resurrect".

Also, any direct damage spell is called a word which translates as "Shot", as in: "You have any shots left?"
Oh, and whenever my character has to describe an NPC, I always say (literally) "We're looking for someone made like this and that, have you seen him?"

Whenever we're in a situation where another PC is about to shoot/fireball/attack a mechanical or magical item, I often say "Don't do it, it may explode!", or "Stop, it will explode!" - this was developed because of a series of Cyberpunk games where we blew up countless cars, trucks, computers, and everything, everytime it took even minor damage. Like, I drive a truck through the desert, I fail my drive check, and bump into a sand dune; after a few minutes, the truck blows up in a big fireball. A car that was nearby subsequently blows up.

Another one is:
Player: "I enter the room with caution, care and attention".
DM: "You don't all fit into the room", or: "Ok, but Caution steps on a twig and gets noticed".

Whenever the situation is completely silent and we know something bad is about to happen, out Cyberpunk DM will make a windy noise, move his hand across the table, and say "A tumbleweed passes". Whether we are in a desert, in a city, or in a small hallway, it makes no difference.

Whenever the party is using excessive caution to explore something that I know is perfectly empty, the DM (me) often states "There is...", followed by something completely insane - like,
Player: "I enter the room, moving silently and hiding in shadows, very carefully".
DM: "It's an empty 3x3 room".
Player: "Empty? I look carefully around"
DM: "Actually, there are two liches, a beholder, a great wyrm red dragon and three pit fiends. You can tell the beholder has 15 sorcerer levels".
Or,
Player: "I open the chest".
DM: "It's empty, except for some dust".
Player: "I search for a false bottom". (rolls)
DM: "Nothing".
Player: "I search some more". (rolls)
DM: "Nothing".
Player: "I take 20 and search very well".
DM: "In fact, there is a secret compartment with a long sword +5 vorpal keen flaming, a full plate of invulnerability +4 in mithril, a billion GP, a ring of wishes and a small castle".
Or,
Player: "I read the evil wizard's spellbook"
DM: "Nothing interesting, it only has spells you alread know".
Player: "Nothing else?"
DM: "Yep"
Player: "I search it for hidden pages, and I pass it above a candle's flame for invisible ink"
DM: "You find it contains Mordenkainen's Disjunction, Meteor Storm, Imprisonment, three copies of Wish, Time Stop, and a custom-made first level spell which deals 12d8 damage with no save and can be cast as a free action".

Or, if the current enemy is clearly and utterly defeated and he knows it and his turn is coming:
DM: "He casts Haste, Time Stop, Meteor Storm, Horrid Wilting, Horrid Wilting, Time Stop, Horrid Wilting, Meteor Storm, Meteor Storm, Time Stop (he's got scrolls), Disintegrate, Disintegrate, Meteor Storm, Time Stop, Haste, Horrid Wilting, and a quad-empowered, maximized Magic Missile".
And, if a character (PC or not) has just been hit by something massive which dealt about ten times the HP he had, or a similar situation, I usually say, "...but you/he can still save for half". Like,
Player: "Chain Lightning on the kobolds. 75 damage".
DM: "Well, they can still save for half".
Or (variant),
DM: "Each wizard of the enclave casts Hold Person on you. There are 49 of them. You may still save against all, of course".

Sometimes I use them in combination:
"He casts Haste, Time Stop, [...], and three Fireballs, dealing 3612 damage to you. You can still save for half, though".

Tewligan

First Post
1. "To The Books!"
Called out in a dramatic "To the Batmobile!" voice when a rule is questioned and everyone simultaneously reaches for their books and races to be first with the answer.

2. The Pat Hat
Named after a former player who was notorious for doing stupid things that endangered himself and/or the party, the Pat Hat is a conical dunce-style hat made out of brown paper, festooned with stars and the words "Pat Hat." Doing something dangerously stupid during a game has been known to provoke other players into chanting "Pat Hat! Pat Hat!" until the offender puts on the hat, occasionally with a photograph to commemorate the wearing. I wear the Pat Hat more than I care to think about...

3. "No, I Don't"
When we played in college years ago, I got in the habit of saying "No, I don't" when the DM told me I took damage, had to make a saving throw, or anything else that meant pain was in my character's immediate future. The DM would automatically say "Yes, you do", I'd say okay, and we'd move on. One summer, a couple of us went to a small local con and played in a game together with a DM and some other players we didn't know. At one point, the DM told me I had to make a save vs. poison, to which I said "No, I don't." He gave me a baffled look, looked over my character sheet in search of some power or item he had forgotten about, and said in an uncertain voice "Yes, you do." "Oh, okay" I said, and on we went.

zilch

First Post
"You punch yourself in the eye"

This came from me (the DM) when my group was experimenting with critical miss house rules. The monk rolled a one.

[Edit]
Oh, and my signature came from when the party was in another plane, full of humanoid animals.

Last edited:

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
"Limestone or Granite?"

We had one player who was always really interested in the realism of the surroundings, and got really upset once because the baron who was hiring us to investigate a suddenly appearing swamp didn't know the primary geological composition of the surrounding area. Ever since, every time we see a rock, cave, or mountain, we ask the DM if it's limestone or granite (often in quite angry and aggressive tones).

"Nine and a half foot pole"

I was playing a halfling wizard with a bag of holding. I asked the DM if I could fit a ten foot pole in the bag. He said not only could it not fit in the bag, but a three foot halfling couldn't use a ten foot pole. I grumbled for a bit, but let the matter go. Later on, when we came to something that needed poking, I pulled out a nine and a half foot pole. :)

Every halfling since has always had a nine and a half foot pole as part of his gear.

"I'm attacking the darkness!"

Self-explanatory. Kudos to the Dead Alemen.

"I walk up to the creature, look it in the eyes, and say, 'That's not very nice.'"
This came from when the party was fighting a basilisk, and the rogue decided that he just wanted to do something random.
BTW, does anybody know a good way to turn a statue back into a rogue.

dcorbin

First Post
Two sayings come to mind (these from the mid 80's):

"I am Carl Lewis", short for "I am Carl Lewis, fastest man alive" which basically meant that character was running for all he was worth.

and

"Toast". indicating the discharge of a fireball. "Those orcs are toast" (this one seem like it might be so common it's not worth mentioning, but I have, and you'll have to live with it :) )

Richards

Legend
My youngest son is currently running a 12th-level male human fighter that has managed to get himself killed once in every adventure he's been in so far. (It's not quite as bad as it seems; he was a replacement for a slain PC and was built at 9th or 10th level.) Anyway, he was swallowed by an advanced behir during our last gaming session and I was describing how much acid and grinding damage he'd be taking each round in the behir's gullet. He wasn't impressed - his comment was "Eh, I've been killed by worse."

That's going to be his new catch phrase.

Johnathan

toberane

First Post
We had a DM one time who couldn't stand those little one or two word hanging sentences people always throw out, like "So..." or "Anyway..."

Everytime someone used these he had the same comebacks. Let's see how many I can remember:

PC: "So..."
DM: "Peter Gabriel, 1984" (Peter Gabriel put out an album entitled "So" in 1984)

PC: "Anyway..."
DM: "Left."

PC: "Well..."
DM: "That's a very deep subject."

PC: "OK..."
DM: "Fifteenth and eleventh letters of the alphabet. What's your point?"

there were others, but I can't remember them right now.

If you were to use any of the above phrases in combination, so would the DM.

PC: "So, anyway..."
DM: "Peter Gabriel, 1984. Left."

You can imagine how annoying this got after gaming with the guy for a few years. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases