Core Rules Only

Would you play in a Core Rules Only D&D game?

Quasqueton

First Post
Assuming the DM was of acceptable skill, would you play in a game that restricted Players to the core rules only?

Core Rules = PHB, DMG, MM

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Something like this was brought up in another thread in which a person said Core rules but actually meant PHB only. So, is it Core rules or PHB only?

Either way I would have no problem playing in that game.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Is the DM also restricted to Core rules?

Thing is, some of the expansion books are really useful. Hm.

Heck yeah. This is my preferred type of campaign. There's enough in the core rules for generations of adventuring. This applies whether or not the DM is restricted to core rules (though I prefer giving the DM non-core choices so there are more monster choices available).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Which edition? I voted "maybe" as I'd be cool with such for 1e or 3e, but not for 0e or 2e.

And, I'm assuming this allows a homebrew setting etc.? Or is the DM restricted to an "official" setting?

Lanefan

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
It depends on why the DM wants to run a core-only game.

If it's because she mistakenly believes that even Wizards of the Coast's own supplements regularly break the game, then no; I wouldn't like to play a game with someone who misunderstood it.

If it's because she's confident that the core rules give us everything we will want or need to play games in her setting, then yes, assuming that the setting itself is something I like.

If it's for the sake of keeping the game simple for new players, then yes.

Stalker0

Legend
fine by me, there's plenty you can do with simple imagination to make a character cool, you don't need a bunch of new books to do that.

Crothian

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
If it's because she mistakenly believes that even Wizards of the Coast's own supplements regularly break the game, then no; I wouldn't like to play a game with someone who misunderstood it.

Misunderstood what? There are things in the Wizards own books that can break the game.

Gold Roger

First Post
Generally yes.

There's plenty of mighty fine reasons I could see a DM put up such restrictions.

Maybe he's simply poor and can't/doesn't want to afford more than the Core three.

Maybe he's simply aiming for a "pure feel".

Maybe he personally doesn't want to keep up with additional rules.

I'm personally in favor of a game that offers many options, but I'm not going to whine if a good DM puts me under clear cut and understandable conditions.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Core Rules only is fine

Plus anything the DM wants to make up on his own is even better (new monsters/traps for instance, not new core classes or other 'player stuff').
Since this is a DM of acceptable skill what he adds won't be crappy.

Remove ads