Duskblade Arcane Channeling combo with Arcane Strike?

Sporelock

First Post
Is there any existing rule that would prevent a Duskblade from using the Arcane Channeling ability with the feat Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior) on the same attack? Arcane Strike is a free action so it seems like it should work and since he can’t do it until 9th it sounds good, but not unbalancing.

For example, a Duskblade 9th could cast Shocking Grasp and use Arcane Strike using up a 3rd level slot and his first attack would be +3 to hit, do regular weapon damage, +5d6 electricity damage and +3d6 arcane damage. The Arcane Strike would affect all his attacks for the round. He would give up 5 levels worth of his spells, but he would have a nice round of combat.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Sporelock said:
Is there any existing rule that would prevent a Duskblade from using the Arcane Channeling ability with the feat Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior) on the same attack? Arcane Strike is a free action so it seems like it should work and since he can’t do it until 9th it sounds good, but not unbalancing.

For example, a Duskblade 9th could cast Shocking Grasp and use Arcane Strike using up a 3rd level slot and his first attack would be +3 to hit, do regular weapon damage, +5d6 electricity damage and +3d6 arcane damage. The Arcane Strike would affect all his attacks for the round. He would give up 5 levels worth of his spells, but he would have a nice round of combat.

Technically, your assertion and hypothetical example are correct (if memory serves me correctly).

However, as a DM, I often look at abilities classified as "free actions" in older supplements (the pre-swift and pre-immediate action era) and reclassify them as "immediate actions" or "swift actions" and this ability seems to me to be on par with a swift action. So it might be reasonable to house rule it as such.

Ilium

First Post
One quibble: I'm pretty sure arcane strike does 1d4/spell level, not 1d6. Other than that, though, yes it should be a legal combo. I'd allow it for sure.

chaotix42

First Post
As a DM I'm also prone to changing a few previously "free action" abilities to swift actions, but not always. In this case I've certainly already ruled Arcane Strike a swift action in my games.

RAW, though? Perfectly allowable. :D

Question

First Post
I thought 13th level was when you could affect multiple targets with arcane channeling and iterative attacks.

I see no problems with this combo. If he wants to burn all his spell slots in 1-2 encounters so be it, he will be screwed later on.

Corsair

First Post
Question said:
I thought 13th level was when you could affect multiple targets with arcane channeling and iterative attacks.

I see no problems with this combo. If he wants to burn all his spell slots in 1-2 encounters so be it, he will be screwed later on.

The arcane channel is a standard action which allows 1 attack. It can't be used with full attacks until 13th. I think we are agreeing, which is why I am kind of confused by your statement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases