What do you use for naval combat/ship-to-ship action?

The_Universe

First Post
My players are getting close to acquiring a sailing ship of their own (either through brute force or subterfurge). While I have a good handle on how to handle the capture of the initial ship, I'm not sure how I want to do the chase that will more than likely ensue. Not only will the PCs have to maneuver their new vessel out of a crowded harbor - they'll also have to evade recapture on the open seas, assuming they can break free of the blockade they currently face.

My instinct is to try to use the narrative naval combat rules found in Stormwrack, but I'm also considering the naval combat rules from the old Mongoose 3E ship book Seas of Blood, and/or Green Ronin's Skull and Bones.

Any recommendations on one system over the others? Should I be looking somewhere else entirely? What do you use for naval combat?

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I use Stormwrack. I used to use Seas of Blood, but unless your players are really keen into the game mechanics and checks of every type of simulated move, stick with Stormwrack, which lets you get on to the story. :)

-DM Jeff

The_Universe said:
but I'm also considering the naval combat rules from the old Mongoose 3E ship book Seas of Blood
I've got all four Mongoose books (Seas of Blood, Ships of the Elves, Ships of the Goblinoids, and Ships of War) if you want them. I've never used them, so you can have them for, uh, well, buy me a drink at GenCon next year and they're yours now.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
If he doesn't want them, I'll take them off your hands when you come down next month for the gameday (and buy you a drink, of course). :)

Sure! If The_Universe doesn't want them, they're yours!

For you, Mark, the cost is a painted mini. Your choice of mini and paint job--but since I totally suck at painting, I'm raising the cost for you! :p

Psion

Adventurer
I own several of these, but I've found the system in Seas of Blood the easiest to use, despite all the seafaring supplements that have come and gone since then.

The_Universe

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
Sure! If The_Universe doesn't want them, they're yours!

For you, Mark, the cost is a painted mini. Your choice of mini and paint job--but since I totally suck at painting, I'm raising the cost for you! :p
Let Mark have them - while my greed almost won out, I have to admit that I already have all the Seas of Blood books (if nothing else, the deckplans are useful)! It's an alright ruleset (and one that I've used a couple of times in the past) but it does seem like it might be a bit more complicated than it's worth. The fact that even people who already have Seas of Blood seem to have passed it over in favor of other things probably indicates that it's best to look elsewhere, right?

Remove ads