Where are hte polearms?

Banshee16

First Post
I saw a history documentary on History Television tonight, which talked about the evolution of armor in the medieval ages, followed by the evolution of the sword.

One of the weapons they talked about being a mainstay of a knight's arsenal, in many cases, moreso than a sword, is the poleaxe.

I decided to look it up in my PHB, and what do you know....it's not there (at least that I could find).

Where are the stats for the poleaxe in D20?

Banshee

Meloncov

First Post
Just use the halaberd stats and ignore the tripping abilitiest given by the hook and the ability to set it against a charge.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You can find polearms of the historical and fantasy variety in:

PHB
OrAdv
CompWar
Savage Species
DCv1
and others

DCv1 has not only the Poleaxe (as I recall), but also a BUNCH of Feats for polearms...drawn from that article mentioned above.

Gregor

First Post
Banshee16 said:
I saw a history documentary on History Television tonight, which talked about the evolution of armor in the medieval ages, followed by the evolution of the sword.

One of the weapons they talked about being a mainstay of a knight's arsenal, in many cases, moreso than a sword, is the poleaxe.

I decided to look it up in my PHB, and what do you know....it's not there (at least that I could find).

Banshee

Weapons that made Britain? Ya, that show was great and it got me all pumped up to play a fighter. I also kept asking myself: "how do I join his school for sword fighters?"

diaglo

Adventurer
Banshee16 said:

well the effectiveness of a weapon like the polearm has more to due with formations on larger scale battlefields when using the rules as written.

D&D and d02 are played by individual PCs mostly (basically the game assumes fighting man, cleric, magic user, and thief). as the fighting man you don't form into a formation of one.

much like musket fire. a bunch of guys line up and fire the same direction at the line of their enemies. some hit. but most miss. volleys are fired back and forth.

Hussar

Legend
While I realize the masses of polearms was certainly the most effective use of polearms, I think it's somewhat misleading to say that that's the ONLY place you saw them.

I suppose it depends if you include spears in with polearms.

However, watching my students drilling with naginata, I would say that polearms definitely can be used by individuals quite effectively.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases