Chained spell metamagic, how to use it ?

Doorf

First Post
Chained spell metamagic feat seems to be very interesting.
Chained blindness/deafness seems to be very nice.
Do you have other suggestions with what other spells (preferably without arcane reach from achmage) could it be used efectively (max spell level 7).
Once achmage gets arcane reach special that could be very usefull. Chained displacemant on whole party. Would it work with arcane reach at all ?
Can spell like magic missile if targeted on one creature be used with chain spell metamagic?

I'm not familiar with that Prestige Class, but if arcane reach is like the reach spell feat in DotF, it would only alter where the spell originates from, not extend the reach of the branch spell effects from chaining. But it would allow you to use touch spells on others, which chaining alone would not.

Chain curse, easier to resist, but ugly.
Cause OR remove fear, for enemies and allies respectively.
See invisibility.
Shield, mirror image, and true strike could be used if you have reach spell. 1st level spell, +20 for you, 4th level spell, +20 for you and your level in allies. Ouch.

I'm not sure about magic missile. It is a targeted spell, but it allows you to target up to 5 people. With only one missile you could do it, like melf's acid arrow, but someone could get picky. A very good way to use that spell for garunteed hits though, even at 1d2+1 dmg. Like wise with acid arrow, either a d4 or 2d2, but it lasts for the duration of the standard spell. You should deffinatley look for more spells like that, ones that get more effective as you gain levels, not as the spell gets higher in level.

Last edited:

Tyrrell

First Post
My evoker (wiz 10) has chain spell and at present he uses Charm person and
horizakl's boom from magic of faerun.

I'm looking forward to chained haste , chained slow, and chained suggestion. as sixth level spells

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Why would you want chained slow? Slow already effects 1 target/level.

And is Chained suggestion significantly better than mass suggestion? I would think that the better DC would make Mass Suggestion a superior spell.

I can almost see chained haste as an alternative to learning/scribing mass haste (also 6th level). Would there be any other advantage to it?

Tyrrell said:
My evoker (wiz 10) has chain spell and at present he uses Charm person and
horizakl's boom from magic of faerun.

I'm looking forward to chained haste , chained slow, and chained suggestion. as sixth level spells

Jens

First Post
Try to avoid the reduced saves:
- Chain Enervation (or and attack spell without save)
- Chain (Imp) Invisibility/Bull's Strength/Enlarge (or any buff spell)

Doorf

First Post
Well chained spell can't be used with any touch spell or personal so NO NO for endurance, bull strenght,mirror image,shield,invisibility,displacement,blur,vampiric touch,inproved invis,armor,true strike,stone skin,fire shield NONE of those will work with this feat.

James McMurray

First Post
My sorcerer has chain spell. He likes to use it for Sacrifice Spell from Relics and Rituals.

Other uses he has contemplated but not yet needed:

• Feeblemind
  • Tasha's Hideous Laughter
  • Suggestion (because Sorcerer's are better with a feat that duplicates a spell and gives them more leeway in spell selection)
  • Greater Dispelling

Doorf

First Post
James McMurray said:
My sorcerer has chain spell. He likes to use it for Sacrifice Spell from Relics and Rituals.

Could you please send desc of this spell don't have relics and rituals and i find it a bit weird to buy just to see one spell.

Remove ads